kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.tn.gov/environment/news...er-on-electric-vehicle-charging-stations.html

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) announced today it is partnering with electric vehicle (EV) automaker and automotive technology company Rivian to install Rivian Waypoint EV charging stations at Tennessee State Parks.
The goal is to have charging stations available at all 56 state parks systemwide, depending on the availability of electricity and planned future park upgrades.
“Tennessee is at the forefront of innovation and infrastructure development, and we're committed to the future of the automotive industry,” Governor Bill Lee said. “This collaboration will support Tennessee jobs and enhance our already unmatched state parks.”

“As Tennesseans increasingly rely on electric vehicles, our state parks can play a significant role to enable recreation in all corners of our state,” TDEC Commissioner David Salyers said. “TDEC is committed to clean air, and the shift toward electric vehicles is an excellent step forward for air quality.”
“Tennessee’s State Parks will be home to some of our very first Rivian Waypoints and at the forefront of our plan to provide accessible EV charging to those adventuring in America’s most beautifully preserved environments,” Matt Horton, executive vice president of Energy and Charging Solutions at Rivian, said.

Rivian will oversee the design and installation of the Level 2 chargers, which are compatible with all EV models currently on the road. The open-network chargers can provide up to 11.5 kilowatts of power, enabling EV drivers to top up on miles while enjoying a day trip or an overnight campout. EV charging at Tennessee State Parks will initially be free and drivers will be able to easily monitor their vehicle’s charging session via the Rivian app. Any potential future cost to drivers may be dependent on systemwide utilization to recover electricity costs.
In addition to overseeing design and installation, Rivian will provide any necessary utility upgrades associated with the charger installation at no cost to the state or taxpayers. Rivian will also cover all network access fees, equipment service, and maintenance for 10 years.

Under the estimated timeline, Rivian will begin site surveys and engineering over the summer, with installation beginning as early as fall 2021 and stretching into March 2022.
“We are very excited for this partnership, and for TDEC and Tennessee State Parks’ commitment to sustainable travel, ensuring residents and visitors enjoy the state for generations to come,” Mark Ezell, commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development, said. “Tennessee offers unsurpassed natural beauty, and we’re thrilled this project will bring visitors to state parks, rural communities and cities.”
Founded in 2009, Rivian has development centers in the United States, Canada, and England, including a 3.3-million-square-foot manufacturing plant in Normal, Ill. More information is available at rivian.com.

Rivian R1T R1S Tennessee  State Parks & Rivian Partner on Electric Vehicle Charging Stations 1626891225825

The agreement with Rivian is the latest development stemming from TDEC’s commitment to power the growth of EVs across Tennessee and reduce barriers to transportation electrification. Earlier this year, TDEC and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) announced a partnership to develop a statewide EV charging network that will provide fast-charging stations every 50 miles along Tennessee’s interstates and highways. The initiative is designed to add approximately 50 new fast-charging locations throughout the state.

Rivian R1T R1S Tennessee  State Parks & Rivian Partner on Electric Vehicle Charging Stations 1626891258746

Rivian R1T R1S Tennessee  State Parks & Rivian Partner on Electric Vehicle Charging Stations 1626891282588
Sponsored

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Very cool that they’ve been doing this, I would guess most states would be open to a deal like this. Great marketing for them

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Awesome! Come on Texas!

Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
https://www.tn.gov/environment/news...er-on-electric-vehicle-charging-stations.html

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) announced today it is partnering with electric vehicle (EV) automaker and automotive technology company Rivian to install Rivian Waypoint EV charging stations at Tennessee State Parks.
The goal is to have charging stations available at all 56 state parks systemwide, depending on the availability of electricity and planned future park upgrades.
“Tennessee is at the forefront of innovation and infrastructure development, and we're committed to the future of the automotive industry,” Governor Bill Lee said. “This collaboration will support Tennessee jobs and enhance our already unmatched state parks.”

“As Tennesseans increasingly rely on electric vehicles, our state parks can play a significant role to enable recreation in all corners of our state,” TDEC Commissioner David Salyers said. “TDEC is committed to clean air, and the shift toward electric vehicles is an excellent step forward for air quality.”
“Tennessee’s State Parks will be home to some of our very first Rivian Waypoints and at the forefront of our plan to provide accessible EV charging to those adventuring in America’s most beautifully preserved environments,” Matt Horton, executive vice president of Energy and Charging Solutions at Rivian, said.

Rivian will oversee the design and installation of the Level 2 chargers, which are compatible with all EV models currently on the road. The open-network chargers can provide up to 11.5 kilowatts of power, enabling EV drivers to top up on miles while enjoying a day trip or an overnight campout. EV charging at Tennessee State Parks will initially be free and drivers will be able to easily monitor their vehicle’s charging session via the Rivian app. Any potential future cost to drivers may be dependent on systemwide utilization to recover electricity costs.
In addition to overseeing design and installation, Rivian will provide any necessary utility upgrades associated with the charger installation at no cost to the state or taxpayers. Rivian will also cover all network access fees, equipment service, and maintenance for 10 years.

Under the estimated timeline, Rivian will begin site surveys and engineering over the summer, with installation beginning as early as fall 2021 and stretching into March 2022.
“We are very excited for this partnership, and for TDEC and Tennessee State Parks’ commitment to sustainable travel, ensuring residents and visitors enjoy the state for generations to come,” Mark Ezell, commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development, said. “Tennessee offers unsurpassed natural beauty, and we’re thrilled this project will bring visitors to state parks, rural communities and cities.”
Founded in 2009, Rivian has development centers in the United States, Canada, and England, including a 3.3-million-square-foot manufacturing plant in Normal, Ill. More information is available at rivian.com.

The agreement with Rivian is the latest development stemming from TDEC’s commitment to power the growth of EVs across Tennessee and reduce barriers to transportation electrification. Earlier this year, TDEC and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) announced a partnership to develop a statewide EV charging network that will provide fast-charging stations every 50 miles along Tennessee’s interstates and highways. The initiative is designed to add approximately 50 new fast-charging locations throughout the state.
Rivian R1T R1S Tennessee  State Parks & Rivian Partner on Electric Vehicle Charging Stations DD64ACA1-3721-4384-A218-01046B676AD9

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Yessssssss! TN doing something good for once!

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

1626891225825.png

1626891258746.png

1626891282588.png
I think it would be incredibly cool if Rivian could do this with the National Park system!

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think it would be incredibly cool if Rivian could do this with the National Park system!

Ideally this is in the works according to some job descriptions posted.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It would, but unfortunately I worry that a NPS wide contract for something like that isn't very likely to happen. I know GSMNP has Greenlots stations at its two main visitor centers. I wish I could find info on how Greenlots was selected for that, or whether they approached GSMNP or the NPS more generally. Google isn't turning anything up for me.

Also of note: the DCFC side of the Greenlots stations are basically never online and haven't been for years. The Level 2 side seems to mostly work, according to Plugshare reports. I know one of them is also often ICEd. :(

Does anybody know about charging stations in other national parks? Who operates them? Was it a national thing or a one-off thing? Etc.?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...Also of note: the DCFC side of the Greenlots stations are basically never online and haven't been for years. The Level 2 side seems to mostly work, according to Plugshare reports. I know one of them is also often ICEd. :( ...
$1000 towing charges would fix that and bring a few pennies to the NPS.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

It would, but unfortunately I worry that a NPS wide contract for something like that isn't very likely to happen. I know GSMNP has Greenlots stations at its two main visitor centers. I wish I could find info on how Greenlots was selected for that, or whether they approached GSMNP or the NPS more generally. Google isn't turning anything up for me.

Also of note: the DCFC side of the Greenlots stations are basically never online and haven't been for years. The Level 2 side seems to mostly work, according to Plugshare reports. I know one of them is also often ICEd. :(

Does anybody know about charging stations in other national parks? Who operates them? Was it a national thing or a one-off thing? Etc.?
https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/new-e...in-national-parks-and-gateway-communities.htm

Greenlots and BMW are partners it looks like when I did a little digging. They beat Rivian to the NPS punch.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/new-e...in-national-parks-and-gateway-communities.htm

Greenlots and BMW are partners it looks like when I did a little digging. They beat Rivian to the NPS punch.
Interesting. That article mentions that the stations were donated by BMW. It doesn't really say anything about maintenance. I'm guessing that means maybe the NPS is responsible for that? Or maybe Greenlots is but Greenlots just doesn't care about the ones in GSMNP.

I mean, look at the Plugshare checkins. The J1772 seems to work more often than not, but it's supposed to be a

https://www.plugshare.com/location/72405

https://www.plugshare.com/location/71545

Maybe there's some hope though. I don't see mention of exclusivity! So maybe Rivian can also donate stations to the same parks, and maybe they'll care more about maintenance than Greenlots has, since for Rivian its advertising rather than their sole revenue source.

For GSMNP it likely won't matter for Rivian owners anyway. Their RAN map shows sites planned for Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN. Even if they're not right at the park visitor center (which would be ideal, IMO since there are bathrooms, a shop, and... well... a visitor center to kill time), they'll be close enough. And they'll be much faster than whatever Greenlots has installed!
Sponsored