Sponsored

Front Leg and Headroom

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Ive seen this argument a lot. Yes Shaq fit in the truck. It doesnt mean it was comfortable.
It was also a very early version of the vehicle. LOTS has changed since then. All the more reason to get the show on the road, literally.
Sponsored

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
It was also a very early version of the vehicle. LOTS has changed since then. All the more reason to get the show on the road, literally.
Agreed. The Shaq move was a publicity gimmick, and it worked. Can't tell you how many times I've seen someone raise it in response to a concern about interior room. But all of these EV companies are pulling every marketing trick in the book to build hype.

I'm still hopeful (hence my deposit), but as specs and circumstantial evidence in the way of pics and videos come out, my concern is rising. The total combined legroom of 110" is rather minimal considering the length of the R1S (202"). It should be more like 114-115" to be in the ballpark of the ICE competition. For comparison, a Kia Telluride is 196" long yet has over 115" while a new Tahoe is 210" and has 123" of combined legroom. EV platform proponent would have you believe the passenger space is more generous compared to external dimensions, but that' doesn't seem to be the case.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The only way to know for sure is to sit in one.
SAE passenger room measurement standards are so inconsistent that even SAE themselves acknowledge the need to update them.

Last edited:

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Comparing the specs of the R1T and the quite large on the inside 2020+ Honda Passport passenger compartments and it comes out pretty similar. The exception being rear legroom which is about 3" less in the R1T. But as others have said it's all about how the measurement is done, range of adjustment and angles which won't be common knowledge until people get hands on.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
From the full post-event interview with John Rhodes on Rivian Stories: "tons of room" for two 6 foot one individuals; one in front and the other behind them in second row.
This was pretty much my biggest concern. RJ's knees looked like they were right up against the dash in some of the stills from that event. It could be due to his spririted driving or he just likes that position. Would still love to see it but hearing it will do for now.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

As a 6’6” guy, I’m Going to be very interested to hear the first impressions when the drive events start…

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
As a 6’6” guy, I’m Going to be very interested to hear the first impressions when the drive events start…
There are pics of Shaq in front seat of pre production model if you haven't seen . . . .

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There are pics of Shaq in front seat of pre production model if you haven't seen . . . .
I want to see the room behind Shaq, though.

Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Yep, I’m just curious how it actually feels. “Can Fit” vs. “Fits comfortably” are wildly different. I CAN fit in the back seat of a mustang. Doesn’t mean I want to :)

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Any more R1S info coming out about the leg, hip, shoulder in the driver cockpit? Real world 2nd row space when the front row side is all the way back?
Sponsored