First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
Hello, being 6’3” I am a little concerned about front legroom. The numbers posted earlier this week are less than a F150. It’s my current comfort benchmark. Is there any first hand experience with respect to seating position. The photos released this week seem to show a “tight” fit for the front occupants. This might be a deal breaker. I placed a deposit about a month or so ago. Thanks Joe
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you just pre-ordered about a month ago, you've got a bit of a wait ahead of you before you have to finalize your decision. Your best bet is to get to one of the events being planned for later this year and sit in and drive one yourself. That said, Shaq managed to fit in one of the show cars but these are still upper mid-size trucks, not full size.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
"a bit" ?

He's right though. Wait and see for yourself at one if the events.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
Hello, being 6’3” I am a little concerned about front legroom. The numbers posted earlier this week are less than a F150. It’s my current comfort benchmark. Is there any first hand experience with respect to seating position. The photos released this week seem to show a “tight” fit for the front occupants. This might be a deal breaker. I placed a deposit about a month or so ago. Thanks Joe

Rivian was never going to have as much space as the F150. But, yes -- the numbers are disappointing. Only thing to do is what for actual hands-on, which seems like maybe August?

If they are true to their numbers, go look at the Ford maverick walkthroughs, The rivian is only slightly bigger inside the cab. Which is sad consider the Rivian is a notably bigger truck in width and length.

I ordered probably around the same time as you.... A month or so ago... I saw the "Deliveries begin Jan 2021..." and thought I'd have a shot to buy it around then.... But, after actually diving in and reviewing the pre-order situation, I wouldn't be surprised if an option to purchase wasn't offered until Mid--2022 (I wouldn't even be surprised if it was 2023). If you had a day-1 reservation for the f150, you'd probably have a chance to buy it before the Rivian.

OP
OP

JoeN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
Maybe by bringing this issue up Rivian could adjust the front seat travel, increasing legroom Pre production. Excessively optimistic on my part…..probably. Comfort is high on my list of priorities these days.

Sponsored

Dunain

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 GMC Canyon Crew Cab
Occupation
Computer sciences
Rivian was never going to have as much space as the F150. But, yes -- the numbers are disappointing. Only thing to do is what for actual hands-on, which seems like maybe August?

If they are true to their numbers, go look at the Ford maverick walkthroughs, The rivian is only slightly bigger inside the cab. Which is sad consider the Rivian is a notably bigger truck in width and length.

I ordered probably around the same time as you.... A month or so ago... I saw the "Deliveries begin Jan 2021..." and thought I'd have a shot to buy it around then.... But, after actually diving in and reviewing the pre-order situation, I wouldn't be surprised if an option to purchase wasn't offered until Mid--2022 (I wouldn't even be surprised if it was 2023). If you had a day-1 reservation for the f150, you'd probably have a chance to buy it before the Rivian.
So I am currently driving a 2017 GMC Canyon. The interior numbers Rivian released, when compared to the Canyon are very close, with the Rivian being a half an inch or so smaller here and there. I am 6'4" about 350lbs I fit just fine in my Canyon with room to spare on the seat travel and not having to lay the seat back to a near horizontal position, I can even keep the seatback straight up and down and not have to worry about my head touching the roof. So I am hopeful that I can fit in the R1T, with no real issues.

I do have a few concerns around how they do the measurements. I am hoping they used some kind of conservative measuring formula to come to those numbers since I was really hoping that, the leg room would be better than my Canyon. As it is now no one can really sit behind me unless I put the seat into a less than optimal position for my comfort. I was also hoping for more hip and shoulder room, something closer to what my Dodge Magnum had. I found on longer trips those measurements really helped with my ability to stay comfortable.

All that being said, if the test drive goes well, and the fit is no worse than my current truck, I am going to move forward with purchasing an RIT. By the time I get it I might be down to under 300 pounds who knows, got plenty of time to diet before delivery.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So I am currently driving a 2017 GMC Canyon. The interior numbers Rivian released, when compared to the Canyon are very close
That scares me. I've driven a Canyon and they are NOT large vehicles. If Rivian ends up being that small, then it won't work for me (or many people with families).

The canyon is a fine vehicle for one or two people, but the backseat is useless if someone tall is in the front.

OP
OP

JoeN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
What is the chance Rivian reacts to these concerns and makes some adjustments to pedal location, steering wheel position and seat travel to maximize driver comfort…..again, probably too optimistic. Thanks for listening. Joe

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
What is the chance Rivian reacts to these concerns and makes some adjustments to pedal location, steering wheel position and seat travel to maximize driver comfort…..again, probably too optimistic. Thanks for listening. Joe
Do you really want them to delay production to make random ergonomic adjustments based on "concerns" from potential owners that have never sat in or driven the vehicle?
Or do you think that the feedback from the extensive testing done by a wide variety of drivers is a better gauge of how well the seating position and controls work?

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
I was on RJ's Twitter thread yesterday and there's video of him doing some winter testing. Unfortunately he looks very cramped in the driver's seat, with his legs folded up and touching the dash and the steering wheel. It's almost cartoonish. I believe RJ is only 6'1" or perhaps 6'2". Several of the responding tweets are asking if he's 7' tall given how he fits.

If the Rivian is truly this cramped, I will be cancelling my order (as I'm sure quite a few people will be).

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I was on RJ's Twitter thread yesterday and there's video of him doing some winter testing. Unfortunately he looks very cramped in the driver's seat, with his legs folded up and touching the dash and the steering wheel. It's almost cartoonish. I believe RJ is only 6'1" or perhaps 6'2". Several of the responding tweets are asking if he's 7' tall given how he fits.

If the Rivian is truly this cramped, I will be cancelling my order (as I'm sure quite a few people will be).
For those big and tall people, a test drive would seem most appropriate (if possible and practical), or take delivery and can return in 7 days with less than 1000 miles no questions asked. Never heard of an auto dealer having a return policy as good as Rivian.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT

I noticed this too in the winter testing. As someone who is 6'6", size is important here. I hope he's just one of the weird ppl that likes to sit close.

On another note, I have taken a test drive in a Model Y. I fit comfortably in that. I know that legroom and headroom dimensions vary and arent regulated measurements. So hopefully seeing it in person will make a difference.

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
I will definitely take a test drive before taking delivery. But I am concerned. Overall for the size of this vehicle, the interior space seems quite tight. Contrary to all the hype about the space efficiency of an EV platform, I suspect the opposite is true. In reality, sitting atop a large stack of batteries probably robs head / leg room relative to a regular SUV where you can see "within" the chassis rails. I had tried a Tesla Model S, and definitely found it to be tight vertically. The Model S' high floor made it very uncomfortable to sit in, especially in the rear seat.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Overall for the size of this vehicle, the interior space seems quite tight. Contrary to all the hype about the space efficiency of an EV platform, I suspect the opposite is true. In reality, sitting atop a large stack of batteries probably robs head / leg room relative to a regular SUV where you can see "within" the chassis rails.
Since Shaq was able to sit in the R1T, I have little doubt that you will fit. The only question is, will there be any room for someone sitting behind you.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
Since Shaq was able to sit in the R1T, I have little doubt that you will fit. The only question is, will there be any room for someone sitting behind you.
Ive seen this argument a lot. Yes Shaq fit in the truck. It doesnt mean it was comfortable.
Sponsored