Pull through charging stations when towing camper

jachensnacher

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
I plan to pull an Airstream with my R1T but have real concerns about how to charge it on the road since most charging stations appear to be individual parking spots. It's unrealistic to think that I can unhook each time to charge while towing. What is the Rivian plan for this? Any user suggestions?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I plan to pull an Airstream with my R1T but have real concerns about how to charge it on the road since most charging stations appear to be individual parking spots. It's unrealistic to think that I can unhook each time to charge while towing. What is the Rivian plan for this? Any user suggestions?
Rivian has stated that they plan on some drive through spots at the RAN locations where space is available to accommodate vehicles with trailers I am pretty sure I saw 1 or 2 in Salida, CO

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Rivian has stated that they plan on some drive through spots at the RAN locations where space is available to accommodate vehicles with trailers I am pretty sure I saw 1 or 2 in Salida, CO
Salida has 1 pull-through spot. Another recently-uncovered site plan for a RAN location in Maryland does not appear to have any pull-through spots. I think it's going to be a pretty mixed bag that will depend entirely on what facilities are willing to give up space to Rivian and how that space is configured. A lot of parking lots just don't really have many places that can be used for pull-through charging spaces and they're willing to give up.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I haven't seen a single CCS location - EA or otherwise - with pull through spots.

Speaking from SuperCharger experience:

Some locations with plenty of room have pull-through spots.
Others don't have enough room for pull-through spots.

Others have plenty of room for pull-through spots but Tesla didn't opt to install them that way. (Maybe these are older sites from the days that only had Model S, and therefore towing wasn't officially a thing?)

So it's kinda all over the place.

What's missing from Superchargers (I think) is any recognition on the infotainment whether or not a given location has pull-throughs or not.

Just that information and a one-tap filter for "I need to charge with a trailer" would go a long way for planning.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I haven't seen a single CCS location - EA or otherwise - with pull through spots.

Speaking from SuperCharger experience:

Some locations with plenty of room have pull-through spots.
Others don't have enough room for pull-through spots.

Others have plenty of room for pull-through spots but Tesla didn't opt to install them that way. (Maybe these are older sites from the days that only had Model S, and therefore towing wasn't officially a thing?)

So it's kinda all over the place.

What's missing from Superchargers (I think) is any recognition on the infotainment whether or not a given location has pull-throughs or not.

Just that information and a one-tap filter for "I need to charge with a trailer" would go a long way for planning.
Great suggestion. Hope Tesla and public chargers implement this request.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think the challenge here as well would be for people to be respectful and use those spots last.

I can't count the number of times I've been at a super charger and have seen people pull in and take the designated handicap spot when there are many other spots available. Unfortunately, I would expect to see this same bad behavior for the pull through spots.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
At least with the charge port at the front of the vehicle you may be able to pull into a parking spot style charger with the trailer hooked up, as long as it won't block too much of the parking lot.

jcook01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I can't count how many times we've sat inline waiting for a diesel pump that's being used by gassers when other pumps are open...so if our camper blocks access to a part of the parking lot as we charge at a Rivian or Electrify America station so be it...LOL.

Pull thru charge stalls should be the norm not the after thought.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I can't count how many times we've sat inline waiting for a diesel pump that's being used by gassers when other pumps are open
Me too, major pet peeve!
Sponsored