kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Huge fan of detailing/paint care etc though not a professional by any means I have talked with some of the industries best professional folks including Ammo NYC (who detailed my Alfa) and Detailers Domain

Below are some pictures of me working on my own items and again while I am no industry expert I have been doing things as a hobby for the past 15 years so I know a small amount.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 1625495009537

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 1625495038247

Before Wet Sanding/detailing on my track wheels that had a coating not cure in time and track debris stick to it.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 1625495142124

After about 40 hours (per wheel) of wet sanding/high cut compound and then ceramic wheel coating added.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 1625495182263

Here is a quick summary of my experience on products: Anything from your box stores are more or less temporary and kind of a waste of money with maybe the exception of Griots/Meguiars. Even then those are temporary at most a month or 2 of exterior care no matter what marketing on the box/label says in terms of Exterior paint protection.

My person Favorite is the Fictech line of products because most of them (with the exception of the ceramic coating) are super easy application, just apply when the car is wet and then wipe off. https://www.detailersdomain.com/search?type=product&q=fictech*

Ceramic coating is a liquid substance that turns hard once cured to protect the paint, here is a great example.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 1625495492203

Keep in mind it will put a layer over your paint regardless of how flawless or un-flawless your paint looks so when a detailer says they will Correct your paint first and them coat it that is because they want to protect their work, slapping on ceramic coating after a car wash or from the factory which probably still doesnt have 100% flawless paint is a waste but only if your not really into the fine details of paint protection.

Paint Protection Film on the other hand is a physical barrier (more so than ceramic) of film https://www.exclusivedetail.com/paint-protection-film-ceramic-coating/ that is protecting the exterior of your paint as well.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Have a friend that has a detailing business as a side job. If and when I ever get this truck, I will give it to him immediately to put a ceramic coat on it. Kenzo with graphene or IGL quartz. Whichever he thinks is the best

Last edited:

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for sharing your experience #kanundrum!

How would you describe the differences between ceremic coatings and wraps (features, durability, cost to get applied, etc.)?

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Thanks for sharing your experience #kanundrum!

How would you describe the differences between ceremic coatings and wraps (features, durability, cost to get applied, etc.)?
I can tell you this is one of the best coatings you can get

https://iglcoatingsusa.com/product/ecocoat-kenzo/

have to find a professional that installs it. Expect it to be more than a grand. A wrap would be more. The wrap can completely change the appearance of your vehicle if you want, but it may not last as long as a 5 year ceramic depending on what it’s exposed to

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
The cermic coat is a must. I have a black Sienna, and I opted out of it, do I regret that stupid mistake!!!

As soon as the R1S arrives, it's getting one right away.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I can tell you this is one of the best coatings you can get

https://iglcoatingsusa.com/product/ecocoat-kenzo/

have to find a professional that installs it. Expect it to be more than a grand. A wrap would be more. The wrap can completely change the appearance of your vehicle if you want, but it may not last as long as a 5 year ceramic depending on what it’s exposed to
Flabyboy,

I'm intrigued to learn more about the Kenzo products. Interestingly, when I opened this link, the first of the following screens appeared for about one second, and then changed to the second screen pictured here. It does it every time. Kind of the ultimate subliminal advertising.

It reminds me of an old Stephen Wright line. He said "I saw a subliminal advertising guy the other day, but only for a second".

Sorry for the shoddy quality of the first pic, but it's only up there for a second and I didn't capture it very well. The phone is smarter than the phonie.

Since the second pic says it's not available for retail purchase, I'm guessing that the $9,999 price on the first screen must represent the materials needed by a pro to do several vehicles.

I'm glad to hear your take on the product and the pricing we might expect for our Rivians. I'll have to find the right professional in Portland and find out what I might expect to pay for this service. It looks enticing and I thank you for opening my eyes to yet another way to spend good money to make our great new R1Gs look even better. (there, I said it! Our new R1T & R1S models are hereafter to be known as R1Gs for "Rivian 1st Generation - R1Gs."

OK, time for some sleep now ?
Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 20210706_002247

Rivian R1T R1S Paint Care Protection Thread 20210706_002243

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
DuckTruck.
I was told by the guy who does it that it would probably cost a little less than a grand to get the truck done. Maybe more if I wanted to do glass, trim and wheels. I do live in the Midwest where things tend to be cheaper. He told me the materials would cost a couple hundred and that the rest was labor. There is a lot of stuff on YouTube regarding the IGL products. I think the Kenzo with graphene is the newest one

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There are a variety of coatings out there that form a hard surface on your paint to protect it but at the end of the day I would say that is not a physical layer of protection like PPF. If you combine both PPF + Coating there is a good chance your paint will remain flawless but even then its not 1000% guranteed as a rock went thru my Ceramic, PPF, Paint, down to carbon level of my hood so that was not fun haha.

In general any of these coatings are great:

https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/wax-seal-coating

I am partial to sonax or fictech due to ease of application for DIYs as you dont need a cure lamp or anything along those lines for activation.

@sheydon in terms of costs PPF will always be more than ceramic as the process is very labor intensive so depending on how much off road you are doing PPF might be worth the investment on a 70k+ truck otherwise if you are simply city driving ceramic could be the way to go, or do a hybrid like I mentioned in another thread where you just PPF the front end only (my plan) as the rockers and rear are all plastic so less paint chipping.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
There are a variety of coatings out there that form a hard surface on your paint to protect it but at the end of the day I would say that is not a physical layer of protection like PPF. If you combine both PPF + Coating there is a good chance your paint will remain flawless but even then its not 1000% guranteed as a rock went thru my Ceramic, PPF, Paint, down to carbon level of my hood so that was not fun haha.

I am partial to sonax or fictech due to ease of application for DIYs as you dont need a cure lamp or anything along those lines for activation.

@sheydon in terms of costs PPF will always be more than ceramic as the process is very labor intensive so depending on how much off road you are doing PPF might be worth the investment on a 70k+ truck otherwise if you are simply city driving ceramic could be the way to go, or do a hybrid like I mentioned in another thread where you just PPF the front end only (my plan) as the rockers and rear are all plastic so less paint chipping.
a wrap would be nice. I’m worried that it wouldn’t last long in MN winters. Would love to get a matte white look though

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

a wrap would be nice. I’m worried that it wouldn’t last long in MN winters. Would love to get a matte white look though
If they are installed correctly the wraps are as durable as paint if not a bit more as they have a lot more forgiveness and can heal in warmer weathers, it being so cold any impact would definitely affect the wrap but no much more than the impact affecting the paint in those temps.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant

Thanks so much @kanundrum! The thought of putting something that "cures" on my new paint makes me nervous. What does that ceramic look like after 5 years? I'm an amateur wood-worker so I have experience with wood finishing. With some coatings, after many years it starts to look weird - sort of orang peelish. I can see with a PPT you could just peel it off if it starts to degrade - yes?

Thanks again!!

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thanks so much @kanundrum! The thought of putting something that "cures" on my new paint makes me nervous. What does that ceramic look like after 5 years? I'm an amateur wood-worker so I have experience with wood finishing. With some coatings, after many years it starts to look weird - sort of orang peelish. I can see with a PPT you could just peel it off if it starts to degrade - yes?

Thanks again!!

Think of Ceramic like a fine layer BLO (I dabble in wood working but only a project at a time) or something similar haha. You have to maintain and re apply Ideally every 6 months to a year no matter what the bottle says to maintain that smooth like finish. PPF is a permanent film pretty much, think of it like epoxy resin except a lot easier to remove (in comparison). Both are very durable and easy to apply DIY but again the KEY is making sure paint is flawless prior to applying otherwise you are protecting scratches and swirl marks.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Think of Ceramic like a fine layer BLO (I dabble in wood working but only a project at a time) or something similar haha. You have to maintain and re apply Ideally every 6 months to a year no matter what the bottle says to maintain that smooth like finish. PPF is a permanent film pretty much, think of it like epoxy resin except a lot easier to remove (in comparison). Both are very durable and easy to apply DIY but again the KEY is making sure paint is flawless prior to applying otherwise you are protecting scratches and swirl marks.
Reapply ceramic every 6 months??

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Reapply ceramic every 6 months??
Depending on where the vehicle is I would say "MAINTAIN" not necessarily re-apply but I have see products that are supposed to last 5 years wear down due to extreme elements if the vehicle lives outside all year long.