First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
You can substitute billions in for millions and my comment is the same. Hemorrhaging cash without incoming revenue is not sustainable. My point was to chill out as Rivian will be making decisions based on the P&L and investor expectations all while working to deliver a high quality vehicle.
To clarify my point, I agree hemorrhaging cash without revenue is unsustainable, and here is where we differ, I think they are burning through cash right now and if ramping spending, even inefficiently to an extent, gets them to a point where revenue is coming in quicker it may be the best choice.
Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

You can substitute billions in for millions and my comment is the same. Hemorrhaging cash without incoming revenue is not sustainable. My point was to chill out as Rivian will be making decisions based on the P&L and investor expectations all while working to deliver a high quality vehicle.
RJ is quoted somewhere saying something to the effect of a new car company has to spend $3B before it even makes its first sale. That's not counting ramp up to production and global expansion.

Hence, they have already brought in $9B+ and are looking at an IPO at $70B valuation. Just my guess but that will likely clear them another $20B or so. They have the cash and have plans to get more... They are ok for a while.

Now, if 2030 comes around and they still aren't profitable, then they'll be hearing about it.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

To clarify my point, I agree hemorrhaging cash without revenue is unsustainable, and here is where we differ, I think they are burning through cash right now and if ramping spending, even inefficiently to an extent, gets them to a point where revenue is coming in quicker it may be the best choice.
RJ is quoted somewhere saying something to the effect of a new car company has to spend $3B before it even makes its first sale. That's not counting ramp up to production and global expansion.

Hence, they have already brought in $9B+ and are looking at an IPO at $70B valuation. Just my guess but that will likely clear them another $20B or so. They have the cash and have plans to get more... They are ok for a while.

Now, if 2030 comes around and they still aren't profitable, then they'll be hearing about it.
I think you guys should go back to who I was originally responding.
cc84 said:
You're probably correct in your assessment of what is probably going to happen. In addition:

My opinion is Rivian should have had their service infrastructure in place prior to production and then honor your place in line. The way it is being handled now will create more unhappiness, especially amongst your long time reservation holders (including me). There is wiggle room, but not for orders several months beyond your order date.

I saw in another thread, where someone was contacted by a guide today and his order date was Jan 2020, nearly a year after mine Feb 2019. If that goes over well with early pre-order holders I'll certainly be surprised. If I ordered a Rivian today, my perspective would be totally different. At least I would know reservation number means very little, if anything at all. I didn't know that 2 yr. 4 months ago.
My point was and always has been that Rivian does not need to be everywhere to start producing vehicles and that they will make their decisions on the completeness or incompleteness of their support network on their own. None of us are privy to where expenditures are going, but configuring 3 car lines, opening experience and service centers (which none of the big car makers have to do because of independent dealers), developing a proprietary charging network(Big car makers are using 3rd party networks) and creating a mobile delivery and service networks can eat through $9b pretty quickly.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Here's the scorecard from Rivianland this week
EPA Numbers NO
Interior Video. NO
SXM Details NO
Launch Green. NO
Charge rate confirmation NO
A few reports of Guide contacts YES
Guides contacting people with more recent order date causing delivery priority confusion YES

A Couple of opinions I came to this week.
I had assumed Rivian had a person monitoring social media. I now think they either don't or that person has absolutely no input at any level.
The TINA effect has taken over management.
There Is No Alternative can be a delusional drug

I need to spend more time in the real world:):):)

Last edited:

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
We will keep learning every week more and more about those that are all about FUD ^^^ and only want to talk bad things about Rivian
Take every chance to say negative. I think some not even have order and maybe just want people to hate on Rivian and buy what they have so they feel big about themselves. Insecure must put others down to be proud.
If Rivian such bad why be here and show your pain and make others pain also. Make big false statements to make others doubt is not good person.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
We will keep learning every week more and more about those that are all about FUD ^^^ and only want to talk bad things about Rivian
Take every chance to say negative. I think some not even have order and maybe just want people to hate on Rivian and buy what they have so they feel big about themselves. Insecure must put others down to be proud.
If Rivian such bad why be here and show your pain and make others pain also. Make big false statements to make others doubt is not good person.
If there are errors in my post please point them out and I will edit it. Please note I stated my option in the later portion of the post which you are welcome to disagree with

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I agree here. There will be bugs in a new product regardless of the time spent perfecting it by cloistered engineering teams. The end users (us) will find applications for the tech that couldn't have been accounted for in design. These will lead to glitches in software or hopefully just some small hardware tweaks needed. It seems to me the truth here lies in not knowing and doing what we do as humans and filling in gaps of knowledge with imagination. I do agree the Rivian customer experience has been somewhat lacking.

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I am so glad not every company (and hopefully not Rivian) is Tesla and willing to ship out not fully baked products in the hopes that loaners and fanboyism will make up for design and quality control.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I am so glad not every company (and hopefully not Rivian) is Tesla and willing to ship out not fully baked products in the hopes that loaners and fanboyism will make up for design and quality control.
There needs to be a balance. Iā€™m glad Rivian isnā€™t rushing thingsā€¦. But at some point they do need to pull the trigger and SHIP the product.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I decided not to purchase a Tesla partially because have a tendency the ship out low quality cars at times. First impressions matter. If Rivian kicks out a shit product that needs a lot of fixes after release they may not ever recover from bad PR.
Sponsored