First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I think using Samsung is brilliant, and their compact and fluid design is basically what allowed R1S 7-seaters with the longer range capacity that was previously not announced.

Samsung is conglomerate, so Samsung subsidiary that makes your washers isn't the same subsidiary that makes your sell phone, but they might have a third samsung subsidiary in common. If you were ever stationed in Korea, you would learn pretty quick how big Samsung is. A person can be born in a hospital built by samsung using samsung construction and medical equipment, go to a school built by samsung and use Samsung technologies, live in a house full equipped with Samsung devices and appliances, then work for a Samsung company, and when they die, Samsung even takes care of funeral services. Other than military vehicles, and we owned a Samsung car back in the day.

A common factor between a lot of those products in the battery packs, so I am sure they went through a lot of testing and variety of applications, not to mention it will give Rivian the opportunity to be the sole consumer in the EV market without having to compete with other manufacturers who use LGchem/Panasonic.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I'm actually a Coastie, or as y'all lovingly call us, a puddle pirate.
It was either Marines or USCG for me and my college roommate make it an easy choice: "You can either take lives or save lives."

How about them Samsung batteries?
puddle pirate=WWII shallow water sailor

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
A common factor between a lot of those products in the battery packs, so I am sure they went through a lot of testing and variety of applications, not to mention it will give Rivian the opportunity to be the sole consumer in the EV market without having to compete with other manufacturers who use LGchem/Panasonic.
Samsung is also supplying BMW and Fiat

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Samsung is also supplying BMW and Fiat
I did not know that! I think because last I heard BMW signed with some Swedish company and Fiat as a brand isn't a major player yet in EV world. But it would be interesting how Samsung manages both if they exapnded.

Sponsored

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
I don't want to cause any distress, but I'm very doubtful Rivian will have Samsung's SDI gen5 batteries, if they plan on keeping their battery pack design the same with 21700 cells.

It seems like Gen 5 cells are for stack method cells, aka square cells and not jelly roll aka cylindrical cells

http://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=1460

"Samsung plans to make Gen 5 batteries using the stacking method instead of the traditional jelly roll method. Therefore the company is planning apply the press notching first, which it has more stable technology in, considering it is trying the new stacking method."

However, if they ditch the cylindrical cells... everything is possible.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don't want to cause any distress, but I'm very doubtful Rivian will have Samsung's SDI gen5 batteries, if they plan on keeping their battery pack design the same with 21700 cells.

It seems like Gen 5 cells are for stack method cells, aka square cells and not jelly roll aka cylindrical cells

http://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=1460

"Samsung plans to make Gen 5 batteries using the stacking method instead of the traditional jelly roll method. Therefore the company is planning apply the press notching first, which it has more stable technology in, considering it is trying the new stacking method."

However, if they ditch the cylindrical cells... everything is possible.
You haven't caused any distress and Rivian won't be ditching the 2170 cell at this point. Good callout on the "gen5" seemingly being in reference to their prismatic cells. Details of SDI batteries are scarce and it is difficult to determine if "gen5" primarily refers to format and manufacturing process or chemistry or both. I was looking at gen5 from a chemistry perspective and hoping that SDI continues to improve upon their high nickel content NCA cathode.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Those new prismatic cells also entered production, with an energy density of 630 Wh/L and are expected to enable 620 km (385 miles) of range in a new SUV.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Those new prismatic cells also entered production, with an energy density of 630 Wh/L and are expected to enable 620 km (385 miles) of range in a new SUV.
Don't know which SUV they are referring to but we know that Rivian is using the 2170. The article is suggesting Rivian may be using this cylindrical battery that entered production in 2019:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian chooses Samsung for its first-gen battery supplier sdi_battery

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
So, does that mean the total Large pack capacity is actually 141 kWh with the 7,776 cells previously stated?

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
That is what I get and makes sense. They commented that the batteries will be less than 135kw making me 99% certain that will be usable capacity and they plan to have a nice buffer! Big news if true and makes sense.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That would mean a ~4% buffer.

For our EV experts, how does that compare with other manufacturers/vehicles? @DucRider maybe?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That would mean a ~4% buffer.

For our EV experts, how does that compare with other manufacturers/vehicles? @DucRider maybe?
Total kWh/Usable
Model 3P: 82/76
Model YP: 75/72.5
ID4 1st: 82/77
Taycan 4s: 79.1/71
Mustang Mach E ER: 89.7/78

Edited: Model Y Performance is 4%, everything else ranges from 8 % to 13% so varies a LOT.

Last edited:

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Unfortunately we won’t know the true amount until they tell us usable (won’t hold my breath), or someone does a run to zero range test with full recharge. Regardless, 18.15 per is very good if they still go with 7776 count with 9 15kw packs
Sponsored