Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Updated last night and noticed that the final release notes removed the line that was in the beta notes about improvements to vampire drain due to proximity lock being off at home.

That's a bummer because my truck definitely responds to my presence at home (taillights blinking, etc.) despite both proximity lock and gear guard being off at home.
It's just happy to see you.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Updated last night and noticed that the final release notes removed the line that was in the beta notes about improvements to vampire drain due to proximity lock being off at home.

That's a bummer because my truck definitely responds to my presence at home (taillights blinking, etc.) despite both proximity lock and gear guard being off at home.
It's worse than that...it's actually waking up when the taillights flash. I walked out to the garage with proximity off for my phone, on for the fob, with only my phone on me. The taillights flashed and then I heard my radar detector turning on. While it didn't unlock, it also shouldn't be waking up.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's worse than that...it's actually waking up when the taillights flash. I walked out to the garage with proximity off for my phone, on for the fob, with only my phone on me. The taillights flashed and then I heard my radar detector turning on. While it didn't unlock, it also shouldn't be waking up.
It's waking up because otherwise you're gonna sit there like a moron waiting for it to wake and unlock hitting the keyfob button over and over if it didn't. I'd be interested to know which thing people would prefer, Rivian obviously chose for it to be as responsive as possible at the expense of using extraneous energy.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
It's waking up because otherwise you're gonna sit there like a moron waiting for it to wake and unlock hitting the keyfob button over and over if it didn't. I'd be interested to know which thing people would prefer, Rivian obviously chose for it to be as responsive as possible at the expense of using extraneous energy.
It does that anyway so that's not an excuse.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It does that anyway so that's not an excuse.
Are you observing the truck waking when it isn't responsive? The process takes several seconds and it doesn't always start early enough.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Too bad the truck still isn't responsive.

PAAK is inconsistent. Sometimes it unlocks before I can touch the vehicle, but other times I stand next to the door for 30 seconds waiting for it to unlock.

RFID is ~8 seconds. This is fairly consistent.

FOB is usually several second delay between button press and action.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My problem is the truck in the garage is close enough to several places in the house that I frequent. That results in the truck staying awake or waking up more often than it should and wasting electricity.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Too bad the truck still isn't responsive.

PAAK is inconsistent. Sometimes it unlocks before I can touch the vehicle, but other times I stand next to the door for 30 seconds waiting for it to unlock.

RFID is ~8 seconds. This is fairly consistent.

FOB is usually several second delay between button press and action.
What type of phone do you have? I usually don't wait at all, but when it is slow it's only 5 - 10 seconds. iPhone 13. It seems like Rivian is not focused on Android at all, so I am just curious.

My problem is the truck in the garage is close enough to several places in the house that I frequent. That results in the truck staying awake or waking up more often than it should and wasting electricity.
I have this issue as well, but I have noticed that once it goes fully to sleep it is much less likely to wake up when I just walk nearby. I have to be near it a little longer for it to wake up vs. it waking up constantly when it was recently used. Or maybe I am crazy - also possible.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What type of phone do you have? I usually don't wait at all, but when it is slow it's only 5 - 10 seconds. iPhone 13. It seems like Rivian is not focused on Android at all, so I am just curious.
iPhone 14 Pro Max

Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Weird - I don't get it. Why do some people have crappy PAAK response and it works well for others?
Maybe the inconsistency is why it’s a difficult problem for Rivian to solve? I rarely have issues and typically wait no more than a few seconds for it to unlock. When I do have an issue all I need to do is wake my phone and it immediately unlocks.

Very similar to the Model 3 we had. Sometimes when it wouldn’t respond all we had to do was wake the phone and it would work immediately.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Literally just started carrying the fob because PaaK broke the last straw this weekend. Hopefully it really did improve, but the release notes only mention Android, so I'm not holding my breath.
I helped a kid move last night....Paak drove me up a wall....constantly locking and unlocking as I am loading the bed....

I made note to self....next time need to use it to do truck things like hauling.....turn off Bluetooth and take the key....

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I helped a kid move last night....Paak drove me up a wall....constantly locking and unlocking as I am loading the bed....

I made note to self....next time need to use it to do truck things like hauling.....turn off Bluetooth and take the key....
Yup...I was playing off-road this weekend and the constant locking/unlocking and associated delays when you actually wanted it to unlock was the last straw. I finally started carrying the fob after that. So far it seems slightly more reliable/faster than proximity PaaK.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can't turn off bluetooth. My watch needs bluetooth to be active... And if I'm doing work outside (such as landscaping) I usually want to wear headphones which also require bluetooth.

At a minimum, Rivian should add an easy toggle in the app so I can enable/disable PAAK from my phone, temporarily. This seems like low-hanging fruit.
Sponsored