LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

(posted same comment in "had a Rivian Guide contact yet?" thread, but equally applicable here)

If Rivian's Marketing/Communications team (cough, cough - if they exist) was really savvy they would purposely plan to conduct the first Guide Contacts next week either on Tues (5/18) or Wed. (5/19). Doing so would grab lots of spotlight away from two big BEV reveals next week - Kia's EV6/GT on Tuesday and Ford's 'Lightning' EV truck on Weds. Between the two possibilities, doing it a week from today would be a very shrewd move!

Undoubtedly if the first Guide contacts occur on the same day - ideally early in the morning - of Ford's EV truck reveal it will steal away attention in the EV press, especially in the blogosphere. Of course Ford's event will still get big coverage.

I think it would be sending a powerful message: Rivian is actually delivering EV trucks while Ford is just another OEM promising a new EV truck.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
If Rivian's Marketing/Communications team (cough, cough - if they exist) was really savvy
If that were the case, a lot of things would be different.

Totally agree with the entirety of your message though!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Those looking for a full size bed in an EV pickup may be disappointed with the F-150:
Rivian R1T R1S Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19 1621092370721

Possible that Ford will sell different versions (eventually) like they do with their other F-150 offerings, but probably not out of the gate.

We'll know more in a few days, but it looks like the overall length is about the same as the R1T, with the bed ~6" longer and the front end and frunk about that much shorter
Rivian R1T R1S Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19 1621092951905

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Those looking for a full size bed in an EV pickup may be disappointed with the F-150:
1621092370721.png

Possible that Ford will sell different versions (eventually) like they do with their other F-150 offerings, but probably not out of the gate.

We'll know more in a few days, but it looks like the overall length is about the same as the R1T, with the bed ~6" longer and the front end and frunk about that much shorter
1621092951905.png
I can accept losing size in the bed, I just hope the interior feels like a full size truck. I can always use a trailer to increase hauling capacity, but no such quick fix for desiring a roomy interior.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
(posted same comment in "had a Rivian Guide contact yet?" thread, but equally applicable here)

If Rivian's Marketing/Communications team (cough, cough - if they exist) was really savvy they would purposely plan to conduct the first Guide Contacts next week either on Tues (5/18) or Wed. (5/19). Doing so would grab lots of spotlight away from two big BEV reveals next week - Kia's EV6/GT on Tuesday and Ford's 'Lightning' EV truck on Weds. Between the two possibilities, doing it a week from today would be a very shrewd move!

Undoubtedly if the first Guide contacts occur on the same day - ideally early in the morning - of Ford's EV truck reveal it will steal away attention in the EV press, especially in the blogosphere. Of course Ford's event will still get big coverage.

I think it would be sending a powerful message: Rivian is actually delivering EV trucks while Ford is just another OEM promising a new EV truck.
It’s unrealistic to think anything will steal attention from the Ford Electric Truck. Very few people know anything about RIVIAN. This is due to the popularity of the F-150 and the dismal marketing of RIVIAN. While everyone on this Forum is obviously excited about RIVIAN the average person knows the F-150 and very few people will switch to RIVIAN. It would be ironic if Ford introduces the new Truck in their Launch color. GREEN!

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It’s unrealistic to think anything will steal attention from the Ford Electric Truck. Very few people know anything about RIVIAN. This is due to the popularity of the F-150 and the dismal marketing of RIVIAN. While everyone on this Forum is obviously excited about RIVIAN the average person knows the F-150 and very few people will switch to RIVIAN. It would be ironic if Ford introduces the new Truck in their Launch color. GREEN!
Problem 1: Rivian already sold all of its production for roughly the first year if the timeline for deliveries lines up with what folks are currently predicting. So marketing to the masses as an unproven company with a year or more wait is just plain dumb.

Problem 2: I will never buy a Ford. There are a LOT of people who think similarly. Rivian doesn’t need to work hard to convince these folks. Some folks will ONLY buy Ford. Good on them and nothing Rivian does will change that.

Problem 3: Rivian is not competing with the volume of Ford. They can be a small player making eventually 1 million vehicles per year and be a screaming success. Ford outselling them has little bearing on their success.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Problem 1: Rivian already sold all of its production for roughly the first year if the timeline for deliveries lines up with what folks are currently predicting. So marketing to the masses as an unproven company with a year or more wait is just plain dumb.

Problem 2: I will never buy a Ford. There are a LOT of people who think similarly. Rivian doesn’t need to work hard to convince these folks. Some folks will ONLY buy Ford. Good on them and nothing Rivian does will change that.

Problem 3: Rivian is not competing with the volume of Ford. They can be a small player making eventually 1 million vehicles per year and be a screaming success. Ford outselling them has little bearing on their success.
I'm not concerned about the F-150 Lightning being a rousing success, rather, I hope it will be. It'll only serve as validation that Rivian is on the right path. That is to say Rivian will be leading all others on that path. Ford already acknowledged that when they invested heavily in Rivian.

I'm not sure what tech, if any, they may have received since then, but they clearly saw this as the path they needed to follow. They are the biggest producer of ICE pickups, no doubt. They may be the second one to market in the EV pickup space, but they missed their chance to invent or start the EV pickup movement.

Ford is an amazing American success story. From revolutionizing the production line, to making automobiles inexpensively to be available to the masses, up through their recent intro of the Mach-E, they've remained at the forefront of the industry for well over a century. For many Americans, especially the truck crowd, Ford is the only show in town. Their brand loyalty is second to none in the ICE pickup market.

That said, the company and one of their dealerships screwed me over once in a big way and I'll never trust them again. The purchase of an automobile or truck is frequently second only to a home in financial outlay. I'm hoping that dealing directly with Rivian redefines my trust in an automaker, and also becomes an available option in all States going forward.

Vegeta

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord
Occupation
Manager
There has been no indication at all that Ford will reveal any significant details at all, let alone more than we know about the Rivian. It will be a typical reveal with a prototype and estimated/targeted specs (subject to change).
There will be after the reveal. Just like with bronco and mach e ford will release the specs and pricing and plenty of information.

Vegeta

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord
Occupation
Manager

To say a lot of people think otherwise is unwise;) the f150 has been the most popular vehicle for damn near 50 years so that’s a bit ridiculous to say. If you don’t like ford just say that. But for the electric pick up consumer the lightening and R1T will be stacked up against each other.

Vegeta

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord
Occupation
Manager
It's hard to compete with the Tesla CyberTruck numbers because they're just completely made up. The Dual Motor version has "300+ miles range", accelerates to 60 in "<4.5s", and costs "$49,900"... that's the same or better performance for less money than the Model Y Long Range. I'm imagining that the CyberTruck will probably need a bigger battery than the Model Y to go the same distance, so I'm going to call BS on the Tesla numbers.

I'm guessing since the F-150 PowerBoost is already in the $60-70k range, the F-150 Lightning will be around there or higher.
The f-150 powerboost is available on each trim and can be outfitted under 50k. I do think the lightening will start at 60 or so tho

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The f-150 powerboost is available on each trim and can be outfitted under 50k. I do think the lightening will start at 60 or so tho
What's everyone's bet as to when the first Lightning lands in someone's garage?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Again, it is not about one person’s view of either company. The F150 outsells all other trucks, yet there are plenty of other successful trucks in the market. Rivian’s success has almost zero connection to the F150. Want evidence? Look at how many trucks have come out since the F150 and been successful even as the F150 sales increased. Arguing the F150 will sink Rivian because the F150 has been around a long time, has brand loyalty, and has the most sales is a black and white fallacy argument. Their are more than two options here. The reality is that F150 Lightning could sell 500k/year and still Rivian could sell 100k per year with neither company “losing” in the electric truck market.
A company is successful if they are making enough money to continue doing the things they want. If Rivian is selling as many trucks as they can produce while expanding their lineup then they are successful even if they only have 5 or 10% of the market.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'll leave this right here...

Not to be that guy, but why is this in the Rivian General Thread? Shouldn't this be in "Rivian vs. Competitors" thread??
Jimmy,

Good catch, good call. How would a person do that? Does it have to be the thread starter? In this case, that would be njcoach24. That type of technology is well above my pay grade (and, let's face it, my abilities). ?
Sponsored