Sponsored

Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I will definitely be tuning in for the livestream May 19th @ 20:30 CDT. I look forward to seeing what Ford brings to the table here regarding performance & range, as well as any other details about the platform itself.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Definitely interested in this. F-150 is a bit big for my tastes but I'm curious to see how this goes and a more established manufacturer definitely comes with some advantages.

I'm most curious to see if they do anything as unique and creative with the form factor as the gear tunnel/camp kitchen and other R1T features. Many "established company" EVs are pretty traditional in form factor and don't really make the most use of the space, down to having tiny frunks.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I'll be interested if the frunk is equivalent, under-bed storage is equivalent, there's an equivalent gear tunnel, the range is as good at the same price, and it's also somehow not a Ford.

Otherwise I'm still looking forward to my R1T.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’m interested to see what they big guys do about charging. Will they build out any infrastructure or just put chargers at dealerships and let third parties provide the rest?

ActionDH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Suburban, 2019 BMW M5
I’m interested to see what they big guys do about charging. Will they build out any infrastructure or just put chargers at dealerships and let third parties provide the rest?
There really needs to be a strong push towards universal chargers

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
We already know that GM has partnered with EVGO, a well established charging network. Personally I think this is a smart move, outsource charging network to the experts, but provide them some funding.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/gm-and-evgo-partnership-to-bring-2700-new-fast-chargers-next-five-years/

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
There really needs to be a strong push towards universal chargers
Charging connectors? There is one vehicle available for purchase in North America that uses CHAdeMO. CCS won. Outside of China and Japan, new EVs are using CCS. Tesla uses CCS with a proprietary connector, you could charge your Rivian at a supercharger with an adapter that put the right pins in the right place, if they allowed it. They also use standard CCS connectors on the Model 3 in Europe. I would bet their weird connector won’t last long, but they are the last holdout.

ActionDH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Suburban, 2019 BMW M5
Charging connectors? There is one vehicle available for purchase in North America that uses CHAdeMO. CCS won. Outside of China and Japan, new EVs are using CCS. Tesla uses CCS with a proprietary connector, you could charge your Rivian at a supercharger with an adapter that put the right pins in the right place, if they allowed it. They also use standard CCS connectors on the Model 3 in Europe. I would bet their weird connector won’t last long, but they are the last holdout.
I mean more of a push towards universal use and charging standards, lose the need for any need adapters and allow maximum charging efficiency and speed no matter the location. There are Federal standards for every fuel pump and fuel tank, standards on fuel composition, should be the same for EVs, that would make the adoption that much quicker.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I mean more of a push towards universal use and charging standards, lose the need for any need adapters and allow maximum charging efficiency and speed no matter the location. There are Federal standards for every fuel pump and fuel tank, standards on fuel composition, should be the same for EVs, that would make the adoption that much quicker.
yeah. The EU has essentially done that with CCS, and it will probably become the de facto standard in north america because of that.

It’s coming. SOON.

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
Unfortunately, CCS won. I really wish Tesla had opened up their design to everyone from the beginning, because it is technically superior.
The CCS system combines pins from old AC chargers plus a set of DC pins on the bottom. Which makes the whole thing rather clunky. AC charging should have never been a thing, because it requires every single car to carry around a rectifier to convert to DC. Plus it has 3 pins for 3-phase instead of 2 pins for DC. Why not just have the chargers convert to DC in the first place?
Then there is different plug standards between Europe, Japan, China, and North America.
You could be forgiven for thinking the plug design was intentionally nerfed just to slow adoption of EVs.

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
yeah. The EU has essentially done that with CCS, and it will probably become the de facto standard in north america because of that.

It’s coming. SOON.
The CCS pinout in Europe is different than the CSS pinout in North America.
There is a "Type 1" and "Type 2".
And we had to be different. Because of course we did.
Just like we had to have a different digital TV standard than the DVB-T standard the rest of the world uses.
Sponsored