Sponsored

Hey y’all and what’s the story with my profile pic…

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Hey gang - Figured I'd introduce myself and give a bit of background as I'm newish to Rivian world but have had some fun times along the way!

I'm Mike. Auto industry guy. Been around this industry going on 20 years, and had the fortune of touching almost every single area of design, manufacturing, sales, marketing, T1/2/3 suppliers, you name it - a lot of this due to a decade as a strategy consultant and industry expert at a mid-sized firm some of you have probably heard of along the way. Nowadays work in strategy for one of the big tire companies.

There's a lot I know that I probably can't share here, but, all this to say I've read some speculations here that probably aren't far from truth.

This will be my second EV after a brief stint with a Nissan LEAF from 2014-16. At the time I had Nissan as a big client and got a massively good lease on this car (seriously, leasing it was less than what I had been spending on gas every month to drive to/from work - and I could charge for free whenever I was at Nissan's offices). Terrible car. I've jokingly called it an appliance, not a vehicle, as I had to plug it in every night.

My fun Rivian fact? In 2019 we had a client call and ask if we had any manufacturing expertise to do due diligence on a minority investment they were making in a startup automaker. Got a trip to Normal and a deep dive into this startup automaker that had big backing from Amazon and Ford. Met RJ and some of the early leaders. Made some recommendations. The client invested :).

I put a deposit on an R1T on March 1 of this year as work has gotten me to a point where I can afford to have fun cars like this. And then surprisingly got included in the big batch of configs on March 10 and currently cruising the R1 shop and waiting for a build date! Looking forward to taking delivery and making this one mine - really will be the first car where I've been in a position to do mods I've always lusted after in car forums.

Edited with an update:
‘What’s with the profile picture, Mike?” I’m glad you asked, internet user!
The due diligence effort where I got to evaluate the Rivian folks was known to the client internally as “Project Blackbird.” So it seemed fitting 😀.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Let me be the first to welcome you.
Looking forward for your future post.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Welcome Mike! Looking forward to any knowledge and experience you are able to share with us.

Only forum rule is to never say the name of the ugly truck made by the guy who owns the bird app😉

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Welcome Mike! Looking forward to any knowledge and experience you are able to share with us.

Only forum rule is to never say the name of the ugly truck made by the guy who owns the bird app😉
My first plant job after training was at that place he bought in Fremont. The gremlins still haunt those vehicles to this day.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hi Mike, a deposit less than 3 weeks ago and now Shop browsing. Lottery winner!!!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Hi Mike, a deposit less than 3 weeks ago and now Shop browsing. Lottery winner!!!!!!
Tell me about it! Didn’t even get a chance to ask folks I know about a friends and family plan! I put a deposit down expecting early 24-ish.

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Configuration???
El Cap over BM, 20” wheels and tires (only ones I can get swapped out on our tire program at work -$0 to swap another brand’s OE fitment), quad motor, large pack, adventure!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Probably a lot to do with location, they have a service center in Nashville but I would be curious to know how many reservations are from that area.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You should change the thread from "Greetings" to " Ordered R1T Less than 3 weeks ago and my guide just gave me access to the Shop".... and be ready to have some fun 😉

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

You should change the thread from "Greetings" to " Ordered R1T Less than 3 weeks ago and my guide just gave me access to the Shop".... and be ready to have some fun 😉
Ha! I’ve learned over the years not to feed the trolls ;).

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Edited with an update:
‘What’s with the profile picture, Mike?” I’m glad you asked, internet user!
The due diligence effort where I got to evaluate the Rivian folks was known to the client internally as “Project Blackbird.” So it seemed fitting 😀.
Added a fun anecdote to explain the profile pic.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Will your tire company ever make rivian size 21” wheels?!

Last edited: