Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening

I would love to get peoples opinions on getting either the running boards or the sliders from 1EV. I think I would go with the star pattern.

1). Cost is a factor, but not a major factor (not sure it matters enough to make a big difference in my decision).

2). At the sale price, there is a less of a difference. $450 vs $600 difference

3). I don't know that I would ever go off roading so I don't think the protection is a big issue.

4). I think I like how clean the sliders look with the plate covering the entire area of the plastic panel but not sure it is worth it for the extra price.

5). Since I am not going to go off roading, is the extra weight worth it?

6). What are peoples opinion in my situation? Is it worth the extra

7). For those that have had the running boards installed by 1EV, is it a clean job when they cut the panels for board clearance?

I think it comes down to: The Sliders give the benefit of being a cleaner look under the truck and can be jacked up any place. The running boards however, are lighter, would serve my purpose, but don't look as clean under the truck.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Adam
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sliders are totally unnecessary if you have no plans on bashing them against things.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Sliders are totally unnecessary if you have no plans on bashing them against things.
Do you think it matters a lot as far as how clean it looks where you cut the panels vs the plate on the sliders completely covering the opening?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Do you think it matters a lot as far as how clean it looks where you cut the panels vs the plate on the sliders completely covering the opening?
Not unless you're getting on the floor a lot and looking at the under carriage. Can't see the plastic from anywhere but the floor once the running boards are installed.

Just read from EV1 that sliders are more than TWO TIMES the weight of the running boards. If you have no need for them, doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra money, carry twice the weight for something that looks identical from outside of the truck.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Not unless you're getting on the floor a lot and looking at the under carriage. Can't see the plastic from anywhere but the floor once the running boards are installed.
Very good point. Kind of a side note...I forget if you have you received yours yet? If so, any regrets? I seem to remember you had concerns about the pass through patterns.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Very good point. Kind of a side note...I forget if you have you received yours yet? If so, any regrets? I seem to remember you had concerns about the pass through patterns.

Just read from EV1 that sliders are more than TWO TIMES the weight of the running boards. If you have no need for them, doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra money, carry twice the weight for something that looks identical from outside of the truck.
I'm happy with them. They reduced the size of the star logos and the number of them. No issues with debris coming through. Have had them on for a few weeks now. Thankful to have them.

Photos of my truck here:
www.rivianforums.com/forum/conversations/question-on-running-boards.3869/#convMessage-18894

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd probably slit out my panels if I were putting the footboards on, but either way I don't think it makes much of a difference. You'll never see them and it doesn't seem to contribute much noise if any.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Heavier and reduced payload capacity. Rocks and gravel thrown up by the tires bounces right off the plastic panels, without issue. Not sure how the power coat paint on the large slider plates will hold up under that abuse, water and road salt in the winter. Get the running boards and do the Gorilla seal thing!

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Heavier and reduced payload capacity. Rocks and gravel thrown up by the tires bounces right off the plastic panels, without issue. Not sure how the power coat paint on the large slider plates will hold up under that abuse, water and road salt in the winter. Get the running boards and do the Gorilla seal thing!
Yeah... I am thinking that running boards make the most sense in my use scenario. I am having them installed at Van Nuys. I wonder if they do slots like their template or holes in the panel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Also, I am reading that 1EV is catching up with the orders. My birthday is April 27th. Fingers crossed I can have them installed by then. It would be a great birthday present.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Powdercoat will probably be fine from every day use, but if you actually end up scraping the sliders on stuff, you're going to scrape all the powder coating right off.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Powdercoat will probably be fine from every day use, but if you actually end up scraping the sliders on stuff, you're going to scrape all the powder coating right off.
Of course, no one thinks paint will win out over drop and drag on a rock.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Wait where are you seeing the price at $450/$600!?

Maybe that's the preorder price.

Either way, people who have them seem to think highly of them. I ordered a set for my R1S. Anyone have these installed on their S yet?

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Wait where are you seeing the price at $450/$600!?

Maybe that's the preorder price.

Either way, people who have them seem to think highly of them. I ordered a set for my R1S. Anyone have these installed on their S yet?
That is the price difference between their rock sliders and running boards. At normal price there is a $600 difference between the two. But both are on sale now and there is more off on the Sliders than the Running Boards so the difference currently is only $450.
Sponsored