Nationwide (Rivian Insurance): Changing Back to State Farm PSA

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
The sentiment towards Nationwide (Rivian Insurance) on these forums has been fairly positive, so I decided to give it a go given all the good press and OEM replacement parts. To make any insurance company work, I have to bundle my house and umbrella policy with the same insurer. The market for homeowner's insurance in California is getting pretty terrible, so there are really only a few insurers left where you can get auto-home-umbrella in the same place and it is generally the bigger names.

And almost from day one I've regretted it, and let me tell you why. NOTE: Rivian Insurance agency was lovely and very good to work with. This is more a review on Nationwide. Also, almost all the problems came from the homeowner's policy and not the auto policy.

The signup process with Rivian Insurance was fairly straightforward and easy. They have a dedicated call number with people who are honestly super friendly and helpful. I never had a long wait when I called.

That's honestly where the niceties ended in my book.

1. About a month after my coverage began, I received a letter from Nationwide saying my homeowner's insurance went up because I hadn't signed a certification of occupancy. Note that Nationwide never sent me this or ever asked for it. The first letter I get from them says, "Your occupancy discount has been canceled". This was fixed in ten minutes with a docusign, but they had already contacted my mortgage provider to have the difference in insurance cost paid out of escrow.
  2. About 2 weeks after that I get the same thing but for my centralized monitoring alarm discount. Again, they never asked for the certificate. I get the letter saying again the discount was canceled and again they contacted my mortgage provider for the difference even though I had emailed it to them within an hour of receiving the letter.
  3. About six weeks into the coverage they sent out a home inspector for a safety inspection of the house
  4. About six weeks after the inspection I get a letter saying my homeowner's policy was canceled (again no one called before this). In order to reinstate the policy I would have to:
    1. Fix my 70 year old brick pathway to the house. I have a few bricks that are cracked that they want to be fixed. I live in a historic district in Socal and one of the best parts of the house is the masonry. If you saw the bricks you would think this is total overkill.
    2. Repour my driveway. I have a crack in my driveway and one side of the crack is about 1/4" higher than the rest. They wanted me to repour my driveway. If you saw my driveway you would think this is total overkill.
    3. They claimed I had trees touching my house. I have one tree in my front yard that I always have about a 6 foot clearance between the lowest branches and the roof of the house. I'm pretty retentive about this because the ideas of rats getting in my attic scares me. This was a flat out lie.
After all the terrible issues with the homeowner's side I'm not going to even try to remedy the above. Going back to state farm with a wonderful agent who is helpful and ALWAYs will notify me if he needs anything, and has never given me issues with any of the above. At first I had geico for auto insurance and didn't want to insure the rivian with Geico after stories on this forum, but I do have more faith in state farm and ultimately cannot deal with the Nationwide shenanigans. To go back to state farm for the whole enchilada was $200 more a year, and will end up being $200 less in 3 years when loyalty discounts kick in for the auto insurance. Given time it will be about the same cost

PSA: Nationwide sucked for my situation with their homeowner's insurance. Wish I wouldn't have switched.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Letā€™s talk more about your fear of rats in your attic. Iā€™m worried about you manšŸ˜¬

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Letā€™s talk more about your fear of rats in your attic. Iā€™m worried about you manšŸ˜¬
So I had rats/mice? in my attic in my previous house and it was like 4-5k to mitigate.

When I moved into this house within the last year they had pulled out all the insulation in the attic and had everything mitigated meaning they had rats/mice. I recently paid to have the insulation put back in, so I'm super vigilant about the trees around my house as that is one of the easiest ways to get them in your attic. I don't want to spend the money to mitigate again.

So the fear is money driven, I could care less about the mice.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So I had rats/mice? in my attic in my previous house and it was like 4-5k to mitigate.

When I moved into this house within the last year they had pulled out all the insulation in the attic and had everything mitigated meaning they had rats/mice. I recently paid to have the insulation put back in, so I'm super vigilant about the trees around my house as that is one of the easiest ways to get them in your attic. I don't want to spend the money to mitigate again.

So the fear is money driven, I could care less about the mice.
That makes sense. I pictured you up all night afraid of any sound in your house. Itā€™s hard to keep out critters that can fit through a gap the size of a dime.

Appreciate the info on the insurance. I was considering using them for my Rivian and maybe renters insurance but if they treat their home insurance customers that way I donā€™t really want to do business with them in any capacity.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I've used Geico for both cars of mine and home, and they've been brilliant. Changing from my Tesla MY to Rivian was really easy and has saved me a good chunk of change (for some reason Tesla's are crazy expensive to insure as apparently even the smallest ding of the chassic leads to a write off.). Would recommend them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I've used Geico for both cars of mine and home, and they've been brilliant. Changing from my Tesla MY to Rivian was really easy and has saved me a good chunk of change (for some reason Tesla's are crazy expensive to insure as apparently even the smallest ding of the chassic leads to a write off.). Would recommend them.
I liked Geico with all my previous autos, but there have been some not so great stories here regarding Geico. I tried to get their homeowners insurance when I moved about two years ago and was unimpressed with the process.
Also, the state farm agent I have is just too good. Geico has closed all their offices in CA, which I understand, but state farm was able to get very close to what Geico would charge, it's worth it to have someone local to me and pay a little more.

FD234

First Name
FD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have similar problem with homeowners. Only state farm would insure me but auto with them was very expensive. Would you mind sharing how much auto costs with state farm. I have Rivian and Santa Fe 250/500k $1000 deductible and paying $1900/6months. State farm wanted $2,400.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The sentiment towards Nationwide (Rivian Insurance) on these forums has been fairly positive, so I decided to give it a go given all the good press and OEM replacement parts. To make any insurance company work, I have to bundle my house and umbrella policy with the same insurer. The market for homeowner's insurance in California is getting pretty terrible, so there are really only a few insurers left where you can get auto-home-umbrella in the same place and it is generally the bigger names.

And almost from day one I've regretted it, and let me tell you why. NOTE: Rivian Insurance agency was lovely and very good to work with. This is more a review on Nationwide. Also, almost all the problems came from the homeowner's policy and not the auto policy.

The signup process with Rivian Insurance was fairly straightforward and easy. They have a dedicated call number with people who are honestly super friendly and helpful. I never had a long wait when I called.

1. About a month after my coverage began, I received a letter from Nationwide saying my homeowner's insurance went up because I hadn't signed a certification of occupancy. Note that Nationwide never sent me this or ever asked for it. The first letter I get from them says, "Your occupancy discount has been canceled". This was fixed in ten minutes with a docusign, but they had already contacted my mortgage provider to have the difference in insurance cost paid out of escrow.
  2. About 2 weeks after that I get the same thing but for my centralized monitoring alarm discount. Again, they never asked for the certificate. I get the letter saying again the discount was canceled and again they contacted my mortgage provider for the difference even though I had emailed it to them within an hour of receiving the letter.
  3. About six weeks into the coverage they sent out a home inspector for a safety inspection of the house
  4. About six weeks after the inspection I get a letter saying my homeowner's policy was canceled (again no one called before this). In order to reinstate the policy I would have to:
    1. Fix my 70 year old brick pathway to the house. I have a few bricks that are cracked that they want to be fixed. I live in a historic district in Socal and one of the best parts of the house is the masonry. If you saw the bricks you would think this is total overkill.
    2. Repour my driveway. I have a crack in my driveway and one side of the crack is about 1/4" higher than the rest. They wanted me to repour my driveway. If you saw my driveway you would think this is total overkill.
    3. They claimed I had trees touching my house. I have one tree in my front yard that I always have about a 6 foot clearance between the lowest branches and the roof of the house. I'm pretty retentive about this because the ideas of rats getting in my attic scares me. This was a flat out lie.
After all the terrible issues with the homeowner's side I'm not going to even try to remedy the above. Going back to state farm with a wonderful agent who is helpful and ALWAYs will notify me if he needs anything, and has never given me issues with any of the above. At first I had geico for auto insurance and didn't want to insure the rivian with Geico after stories on this forum, but I do have more faith in state farm and ultimately cannot deal with the Nationwide shenanigans. To go back to state farm for the whole enchilada was $200 more a year, and will end up being $200 less in 3 years when loyalty discounts kick in for the auto insurance. Given time it will be about the same cost

PSA: Nationwide sucked for my situation with their homeowner's insurance. Wish I wouldn't have switched.
Iā€™m surprised you even got a quote. They would not even give me a quote in SoCal, said they could not be competitive with my current policy.

I read that to mean they did not want to write a policy for the houses/umbrella portions.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I have similar problem with homeowners. Only state farm would insure me but auto with them was very expensive. Would you mind sharing how much auto costs with state farm. I have Rivian and Santa Fe 250/500k $1000 deductible and paying $1900/6months. State farm wanted $2,400.
250/500 on the rivian is 1132/6 mo
on the kia 779/ 6 mo
250 comprehensive deductible/ 1000 collision
Total is $1911/ 6 mo but that is with bundling the home as well.

I had geico for years and kick myself for not just throwing my extra car (cheap to insure) with state farm because after 3 years loyalty discounts kick in and after 6 years they are cheaper than geico. Without the loyalty discounts though they are not cheaper than geico.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Iā€™m surprised you even got a quote. They would not even give me a quote in SoCal, said they could not be competitive with my current policy.

I read that to mean they did not want to write a policy for the houses/umbrella portions.
Well it ended up being far more work than it was worth and I regret it.

You're better off that they wouldn't do it for you.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
We have Nationwide for our Autos and our umbrella policy. We no longer have Nationwide for our homeowners as they dropped us after 20 years due to fire risk. Nationwide was great up until 4 years ago. Then they started making unexpected requests and requirements for both home and auto. I went with Nationwide on the R1T because we already had them for our other vehicles. They have already asked me twice about my miles on the R1T. They haven't about my Ram though. The Ram was the more expensive vehicle.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

This sucks, but want to give you a heads up on statefarm, I had a recent fender bender, the rear quarter panel repair was $15k waited 4 weeks for parts, 5 weeks for the repair, and it took 6 weeks, my truck sitting in the rivian certified collision center looking like new, just sitting there because statefarm does not pay greater than $60 of labor. Rivian certified collision centers charge around $125+ same as tesla certified collision centers. after speaking with the owner of the center, he informed that dealing with statefarm is a nightmare, and that they were considering not accepting statefarm claims because of how bad it is. i searched online after my conversation with him only to find out he was absolutely right, i read a ton of issue with EV, aluminum bodied and especially tesla's where they refused to pay the full claim and left the insurer having to pay the difference or having to involve their own insurance in situations where the other was at fault. after complaining to the state, and involving my lawyer, they finally made an exception and paid the full claim. this took six weeks. after speaking with centers owner after they paid he informed me that if it had been geico or nationwide it would have been a piece of cake getting the claim paid. He informed that statefarm makes deals with collision center to charge a lower rate in exchange for customer to be recommended to those centers. the issue here is that non of statefarm in network centers are rivian certified.
After this issue i switched everything from state farm, they lost over $100k a year in premiums from me, and the company i work for.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
This sucks, but want to give you a heads up on statefarm, I had a recent fender bender, the rear quarter panel repair was $15k waited 4 weeks for parts, 5 weeks for the repair, and it took 6 weeks, my truck sitting in the rivian certified collision center looking like new, just sitting there because statefarm does not pay greater than $60 of labor. Rivian certified collision centers charge around $125+ same as tesla certified collision centers. after speaking with the owner of the center, he informed that dealing with statefarm is a nightmare, and that they were considering not accepting statefarm claims because of how bad it is. i searched online after my conversation with him only to find out he was absolutely right, i read a ton of issue with EV, aluminum bodied and especially tesla's where they refused to pay the full claim and left the insurer having to pay the difference or having to involve their own insurance in situations where the other was at fault. after complaining to the state, and involving my lawyer, they finally made an exception and paid the full claim. this took six weeks. after speaking with centers owner after they paid he informed me that if it had been geico or nationwide it would have been a piece of cake getting the claim paid. He informed that statefarm makes deals with collision center to charge a lower rate in exchange for customer to be recommended to those centers. the issue here is that non of statefarm in network centers are rivian certified.
After this issue i switched everything from state farm, they lost over $100k a year in premiums from me, and the company i work for.
Ugh. I'll send this to my agent to see what he says. If it's true maybe I'll insure the rivian solo on nationwide and bring everything else back to state farm.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Ugh. I'll send this to my agent to see what he says. If it's true maybe I'll insure the rivian solo on nationwide and bring everything else back to state farm.
If i were you i would also reach out the your nearest rivian certified collision center and ask them which insurance they have the least problems with getting a claim paid for. i did this and was told Geico or Nationwide, when i called rivian insurance, the very nice guy i spoke with was very helpful and honest, he even suggested i go with Geico as they had a cheaper premium and nationwide didn't have a large customer base in my area which he said was one of the reasons why nationwides premium was higher. he even gave me his email and offered to help if i had any questions or wanted a second opinion on what geico was offering as far as coverage. also he went over some of the nationwide benefits, which are quite attractive (off road coverage, original parts used, rivian certified collision center rates paid, and the move up the line in case of total losses).

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Try Amica. Reasonably priced.
Sponsored