Sponsored

gearcritic

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T preorder
This is going to be a long post, and I hope it provides some insight for those of you still waiting for the R1T/R1S.

TLDR: It's an awesome vehicle and it's worth the wait. Don't flip it cause you'll regret it haha.

I was getting to a point of being tired of driving boring old gas-guzzlers and dreaming of a vehicle that can do it all? Well, look no further because the Rivian R1S Adventure is here to revolutionize the way you think about EVs.

But let's be real, waiting for this bad boy to arrive was a journey in and of itself. From placing a reservation to waiting and waiting, it was like waiting for Christmas morning but it lasted over 1200 days. But hey, good things come to those who wait, right?

And boy, was it worth the wait. The factory tour alone was enough to make anyone a die-hard Rivian fan. The size and scale of the facility was awe-inspiring, and they even treat you to some tasty treats and coffee on their dime.

Now let's talk about the vehicle itself. This isn't just another Tesla, this is the future of electric cars. The level of refinement is off the charts for a company that just started manufacturing vehicles. The handling and driving dynamics are more BMW/Mercedes than Tesla, and the ride is like butter - not too soft like a Cadillac but not too harsh like a BMW X3M.

But it's not just about the ride - all touch points feel premium and high-quality, even the hard plastics. The seats are comfortable and the cooled/heated seats work like a dream. And don't worry about road noise - it's surprisingly quiet even in a crazy rain/ice/snow/wind storm. We know because we drove back home in one.

Of course, no vehicle is perfect, but the imperfections are minor in comparison to the overall experience. Yes, there are some panel imperfections and the headliner feels a bit rough and not plush like alcantara should, but these are small potatoes compared to the joy of driving this beauty. The air compressor is a bit noisy, but hey, turn up the music and problem solved, and it usually goes off for 1-2 minutes.

Overall, the Rivian R1S Adventure is a game-changer. It's the perfect family hauler with plenty of trunk and frunk space, and even usable space behind the third row. And with only 1% vampire drain overnight, you don't have to worry about constantly plugging it in.

So, if you're on the fence about the Rivian R1S/R1T Adventure, take it from someone who waited over 1200 days for it - it's worth it. Don't settle for a boring gas-guzzler when you could be cruising in style in the future of electric cars.

Room for improvements through software:
-Camera quality - not the best resolution, maybe software updates will improve it?
-Kneel mode needs to kick in quicker, you have to wait quite a bit after you place the vehicle in park for it to start, maybe the cameras can identify parking lines or that garage door was opened and start lowering immediately. Or maybe location based lowering would be nice too.
-Suspension can feel harsh in certain situations, but I think further refinements in software will improve it further
-Mapbox sucks, we need Google Maps, not just Google search
-Apple Music support please!!!
-Automatic garage opening upon arrival
-HVAC needs constant attention to maintain a comfortable environment, auto mode

Some random notes:
-small triangular windows up front are not noisy, as of yet......
-center dash area feels hollow so some bumps may cause some rattles in that area, confirmed by pushing that area down while driving over same bumps and noise disappears
-the cup holders are kind of cheap
-was the electronic center console necessary
-OEM running boards would be nice to have, even in kneel mode it's high
-raising and lowering 3rd row wasn't thought out all to well
-21s without the aero covers and the Rivian center cap look great
-FE on Limestone was a great choice, there is no clash when you see it in person. It's more of a grayish green, but it's still pretty green
-No bracket for the rear license plate, I don't think it would be a good idea to place the plate right on top of the paint
-Front license plate bracket was not installed, when you go through 8 steps it was asked
-Steering wheel feels a little thin, but the flat bottom is nice
-Spare still not available in the Gear Store, but Delivery Guide said it was being reengineered for something, who knows

Rivian R1T R1S Finally After 1200 Days Our R1S Delivered! IMG_1212
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Bravo and congrats. Enjoy the new rig.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Congrats! Hope the long wait was worth it!

btw, you might want to get your child into the dentist. It appears they only have 1 large tooth in their mouth.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Now let's talk about the vehicle itself. This isn't just another Tesla, this is the future of electric cars. The level of refinement is off the charts for a company that just started manufacturing vehicles. The handling and driving dynamics are more BMW/Mercedes than Tesla, and the ride is like butter - not too soft like a Cadillac but not too harsh like a BMW X3M.

But it's not just about the ride - all touch points feel premium and high-quality, even the hard plastics. The seats are comfortable and the cooled/heated seats work like a dream. And don't worry about road noise - it's surprisingly quiet even in a crazy rain/ice/snow/wind storm. We know because we drove back home in one.

-Camera quality - not the best resolution, maybe software updates will improve it?
-Kneel mode needs to kick in quicker, you have to wait quite a bit after you place the vehicle in park for it to start, maybe the cameras can identify parking lines or that garage door was opened and start lowering immediately. Or maybe location based lowering would be nice too.
-Suspension can feel harsh in certain situations, but I think further refinements in software will improve it further

First off, something about that R1S in Limestone just speaks to me....but I just took delivery of a Limestone R1T on Saturday!

I totally agree with all your thoughts above. The car is an AMAZING vehicle and puts my old Tesla M3 to shame, but there are absolutely some quirks. I still can't figure out the HVAC system, I miss how easy it was to control with Tesla - set it to 70, it was set. Kneel mode too slow, agree. Would love to have automatic mirror folding at home location along with garage (however, I don't always open my garage so I don't mind pressing the button). And the car is SO QUIET.

Congrats on your delivery!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

-Kneel mode needs to kick in quicker, you have to wait quite a bit after you place the vehicle in park for it to start,
I'm pretty sure mine starts right away but it is still several seconds before it's done, and if a door opens it interrupts it.

Sponsored

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
This is going to be a long post, and I hope it provides some insight for those of you still waiting for the R1T/R1S.

TLDR: It's an awesome vehicle and it's worth the wait. Don't flip it cause you'll regret it haha.

I was getting to a point of being tired of driving boring old gas-guzzlers and dreaming of a vehicle that can do it all? Well, look no further because the Rivian R1S Adventure is here to revolutionize the way you think about EVs.

But let's be real, waiting for this bad boy to arrive was a journey in and of itself. From placing a reservation to waiting and waiting, it was like waiting for Christmas morning but it lasted over 1200 days. But hey, good things come to those who wait, right?

And boy, was it worth the wait. The factory tour alone was enough to make anyone a die-hard Rivian fan. The size and scale of the facility was awe-inspiring, and they even treat you to some tasty treats and coffee on their dime.

Of course, no vehicle is perfect, but the imperfections are minor in comparison to the overall experience. Yes, there are some panel imperfections and the headliner feels a bit rough and not plush like alcantara should, but these are small potatoes compared to the joy of driving this beauty. The air compressor is a bit noisy, but hey, turn up the music and problem solved, and it usually goes off for 1-2 minutes.

Overall, the Rivian R1S Adventure is a game-changer. It's the perfect family hauler with plenty of trunk and frunk space, and even usable space behind the third row. And with only 1% vampire drain overnight, you don't have to worry about constantly plugging it in.

So, if you're on the fence about the Rivian R1S/R1T Adventure, take it from someone who waited over 1200 days for it - it's worth it. Don't settle for a boring gas-guzzler when you could be cruising in style in the future of electric cars.

Some random notes:
-center dash area feels hollow so some bumps may cause some rattles in that area, confirmed by pushing that area down while driving over same bumps and noise disappears
-FE on Limestone was a great choice, there is no clash when you see it in person. It's more of a grayish green, but it's still pretty green
-No bracket for the rear license plate, I don't think it would be a good idea to place the plate right on top of the paint
-Front license plate bracket was not installed, when you go through 8 steps it was asked
-Spare still not available in the Gear Store, but Delivery Guide said it was being reengineered for something, who knows

IMG_1212.jpg
Congrats! It looks great, and we appreciate the thorough breakdown of your first impressions. Hope we get some apple music integration soon though.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Congrats and thanks for the excellent post!

I've been GW/OC from Day 1 but all these Lyingstone™ photos are really tempting me!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Congrats and thanks for the excellent post!

I've been GW/OC from Day 1 but all these Lyingstone™ photos are really tempting me!
I'll just leave this right here then...
Rivian R1T R1S Finally After 1200 Days Our R1S Delivered! 3D9572BC-CAE9-4E9F-961A-7ED41D826B84

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
btw, you might want to get your child into the dentist. It appears they only have 1 large tooth in their mouth.
Er...jumping to a conclusion there...might be spouse.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'll just leave this right here then...
3D9572BC-CAE9-4E9F-961A-7ED41D826B84.jpeg
How are those 22" wheels treating you? Any regrets on not going with 21"s in terms of range/handling?

Sharp looking ride!

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How are those 22" wheels treating you? Any regrets on not going with 21"s in terms of range/handling?

Sharp looking ride!
Nope! And I've never driven on the 21s so don't even know what I am missing!

Honestly, I currently am getting over 300 miles of range on these, which is plenty 95% of the time and right now the 21's are very difficult to find snows aftermarket, which is why I went 22s. Plus I like the look best of all the wheels which was a factor.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Nope! And I've never driven on the 21s so don't even know what I am missing!

Honestly, I currently am getting over 300 miles of range on these, which is plenty 95% of the time and right now the 21's are very difficult to find snows aftermarket, which is why I went 22s. Plus I like the look best of all the wheels which was a factor.
I hear you loud and clear. I am tempted by the max range that the 21's offer and I have never experienced the 21's either. My First Mle Drive was with the 22's and a Turo rental we used as an extended test drive was with the 20's.

I do like the look of the 22's (the dark especially) but the $3500 price tag seams steep.

Thanks for your insights!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Some random notes:

IMG_1212.jpg
Congratulations. BTW, that was NOT a long post.

Rubicon789

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance; Minivan
Occupation
Pilot
Saw my first R1S in person this weekend, and all I can say is WOW!!!
Sponsored