Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Is it just me or is Rivian top speed too low? 112-115. I realize that in the Hagerty drag race, the Rivian tops out way too soon before the quarter and stops accelerating too early, thus loosing out. It’s not a dragster I know but It would do better if it went to like 130? Software update in sport mode?? Also does anyone feel the truck regen-brakes/decelerate too hard when you zip past someone on the freeway and let off the go pedal. I feel like an idiot every time it “jams on the brakes” when I just want to slowly reduce speed when I pass someone.

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Can't comment to the top speed, not sure I want to go that fast, but regen is just a thing to get used to. We already have a tesla from 2021 so we were already primed for one pedal driving. I still do find I have to feather a bit sometimes when I want to slow down in a "coast" way, still need to find the right amount of pressure sometimes.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I'm 100% with you that the top speed should be 130 to match the tires. However the regen braking is just you. With 1-pedal driving you have to get used to not taking your foot off the pedal unless it is a full brake situation. I was already used to it to some degree growing up driving manuals. I would like a button you could press to briefly disengage the regen (like a clutch) so i can adjust my foot while driving without bucking the car, but otherwise I love 1 pedal driving.

Edited to add that I know I could just engage cruise, but the times I often find myself shifting my foot are in traffic where a neutral situation would be preferable to cruise.

Last edited:

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it just me or is Rivian top speed too low? 112-115. I realize that in the Hagerty drag race, the Rivian tops out way too soon before the quarter and stops accelerating too early, thus loosing out. It’s not a dragster I know but It would do better if it went to like 130? Software update in sport mode?? Also does anyone feel the truck regen-brakes/decelerate too hard when you zip past someone on the freeway and let off the go pedal. I feel like an idiot every time it “jams on the brakes” when I just want to slowly reduce speed when I pass someone.

I wonder if they're just setting it up for a paid upgrade in the future

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Rivian built a performance vehicle, therefore, it's going to be judged against anything similar. I'm not big into bragging rights but I also would like to be able to get a real trap speed and E.T., because that's how you can compare performance with other vehicles and extrapolate power. It's certainly not an issue with power to weight ratio (these things pull right up to the limit) and the tires have some leeway. The brakes are massive, worst case, repeated runs might fade and you have regen to help. The drive unit cooling seems simpler than a Tesla (splash cooled vs. pressurized) but I don't know that's a factor. It's probably just a combination of things and an overall conservative approach.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's electronically limited to an actual 110 mph. Definitely too low since it happens well before the end of a 1/4 mile run.

Sponsored

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
Wayyy too slow for me especially coming from a supercharged RR. So far, it's the most disappointing aspect of my Rivian.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
I can confirm that the 110 stopped me from accelerating though the 1/4 mile still ran an 11.6 3 runs in a row on the AT tires. While I desperately want a faster max speed this only has a small impact on 1/4 mile times. I did some calculations based on 1/8 mile numbers and its only a hair short. the difference of 110 vs 120MPH for the last 1 second of the 1/4 mile mathematically should only be about 1/10 of a second. It feels much worse though in the drivers seat when you are racing to the finish line and the truck gives up just shy of the line. I cant wait to see the rivian in the Pikes peak hill climb.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

112-115 is fast enough to land ya in jail in most places...
There are these amazing things called tracks where there are no speed limits.
Sponsored