Sponsored

Off Topic Chatter (Drinks, Travel, Photos, Anything Goes)

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Love this thread, thanks for starting @kanundrum !

I've traditionally been a beer guy, but just recently got started with whiskey over the last couple years, so still pretty new to the game. Started off over ice with lower proof & preferred mellower stuff, now I like higher proof and bolder stuff. Haven't ventured into Scotch too much, but bought some Laphroaig because I tend to like smokiness...not a huge fan, it's a punch in the face.

@opnwide I love to fish, but haven't found the time to do it nearly enough in recent years. I've always wanted to go tuna fishing, but have never done it. Oddly enough, had plans & intentions several years ago when vacationing in the Virgin Islands...long story short, had too much scotch on the fishing yacht with the captain & crew the night before they were going to take us, and nobody was in any shape to go the next day. My girlfriend's brother was a captain for a private luxury yacht that we here able to stay on, and the fishing yacht was owned by the brother of our yachts owner. One of the coolest trips I've been on, so can't complain too much about missing the fishing.
Figured we need a good thread as clearly it seemed we enjoyed talking haha.

The punch in the face scotch's whiskies are definitely acquired. If you do find that threewood bottle from Auchentoshan I Highly recommend, I thought the American Oak was good but no where near as smooth as the 3 wood which is why I think its a great sipping/neat whiskey.

Ive been off beers for calorie reasons but I was a huge fan of Westvletren 12 if you have ever had that, exclusivity aside as well as alcohol content it was so delicious.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I mentioned this in the other thread when you were looking for suggestions, but I highly recommend the High West Bourye if you're going to try one.

One of my favorite topics...
I know what I am getting next! Also don't know too much about tequilas but very interested in it! I went to a Tequila bar in Minnesota and it was quite eye opening the similarties to whiskies and I guess all alcohol that is barrel aged.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ok I’ll bump off this great Bourbon topic to posting your “Best Catch”. (And no cute photos of your S.O.). This one is mine and my fishing team, Team Bald Tuna...249lb Yellowfin...

A7CA13B2-2263-40B2-B43D-AFF2695674BB.jpeg

93B94B41-200A-4A75-B359-8FC7EA8BCE6E.jpeg

Hey this sounds really strange but my friend who loves his Fishing sent me pictures of yall hahahaha.

His name is Drake he might have been around while you folks took that picture. Small world but would be hilarious if you know him.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
The Stagg I’m hoping to sample soon is the George T. Stagg
Yeah, my bad on that. Meant George T. Somehow I let E.H Taylor slip in there. “The Colonel” is another excellent choice!

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Hey this sounds really strange but my friend who loves his Fishing sent me pictures of yall hahahaha.

His name is Drake he might have been around while you folks took that picture. Small world but would be hilarious if you know him.
Crazy small Kevin Bacon world! No don’t recall meeting a Drake, but that tourney brings in some cool dudes and it is a freakin blast. Great mid-life, get away from the wives, hang out with friends, drink, fish, and laugh. Resets your soul.

Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Love this thread. Some great bottles in those posts

Whistle Pig is a personal fave, as is High West. I tend to rotate through weekly finding something new to try. My bottles don’t last too long ?

Thinkin maybe a bourbon tailgate in Central Austin once all our #’s come up.

Here’s a glimpse of what currently
on my shelf. That Widow Jane Decadence is some delicious brew.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Love this thread. Some great bottles in those posts

Whistle Pig is a personal fave, as is High West. I tend to rotate through weekly finding something new to try. My bottles don’t last too long ?

Here’s a glimpse of what currently
on my shelf. That Widow Jane Decadence is some delicious brew.
Rivian R1T R1S Off Topic Chatter (Drinks, Travel, Photos, Anything Goes) 53292061-9CF1-4073-8253-C4A8DB168699

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
High West is good stuff. I’m mostly a KY bourbon snob, but HW does a good job. I’m a little biased since the distillery is 5 minutes from my house! Their ryes are the real standouts though. Double Rye makes an excellent old fashioned (especially when paired with black walnut bitters and homemade brandied cherries). Rendezvous and Campfire ryes from them are good as well.
The other nice thing about High West is that they will sell it to you from their PC location on Sundays, nice if you’re in a pinch in dry Utah!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm down!

There's at least a handful of CenTex folks here, and a good number from DFW. Haven't seen too many from Htown, but I don't look at where people are from unless I see "tx" in the username.

I have a bit of elbow room, so happy to host a tailgate up in WilCo if we have enough takers & need more space.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Greg,

You had me at “Neat is the only way to drink it, and like a really good tequila, it’s a sipper not a shooter.” I feel that way about all hard liquors. I’d rather enjoy them, and my friends, than to pour them down without really enjoying anything else. We’ve all been there, but to laugh at the memories, rather than wondering where they went, means more to me at this point.

I don’t want to sound pious, but I’d rather not wake up during the early afternoon in the middle of the town square and think “Hmm?, Where did my pants go, and where did this tattoo of Taylor Swift on my face come from?”

I think she’s wonderful, but a tattoo of her on my face falls short of my dreams. That said, enough about hard liquors.

Thanks for the education on the various selections you have. The Stagg I’m hoping to sample soon is the George T. Stagg, one of the Buffalo Trace collection. Regarding Tequilas, I have a friend who returned from a week in Mexico recently, and he is kind enough to be holding a Tequila tasting event tomorrow for a group of us to sample varieties not available here, at least not in our fair State.

Again, my thanks, and all my best!
What about a Taylor Swift tramp stamp? Surely that’d be a viable option.

Speaking of tequilas... I was recently the introduced to an extra anejo that tastes like liquid creme brulee.

Rivian R1T R1S Off Topic Chatter (Drinks, Travel, Photos, Anything Goes) 3A21480E-D948-4CB9-ADFA-8CB02B729BEF

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have a feeling that there will be a wager at a Rivian whiskey/tequila/rum/craft beer meetup that results in the loser having to choose between a Tay Tay face tattoo or tramp stamp. Or you have to try to date her, because apparently that's miserable & never works out.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I have a feeling that there will be a wager at a Rivian whiskey/tequila/rum/craft beer meetup that results in the loser having to choose between a Tay Tay face tattoo or tramp stamp. Or you have to try to date her, because apparently that's miserable & never works out.
My tequila induced betting usually ended with someone eating the worm... but that was a LONG time ago!

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Kinda late to this party (it's been a busy week). So I "celebrated" the big 5-0 this week and my Rivian didn't show up in my driveway... kinda disappointed as I thought I had sent RJ a message letting him know that was my birthday wish... My cousin made up for it with a lunch at Chuy's and a bottle of Booker's. I may wait to crack open that bottle until I take delivery.... maybe.

As far as favorite bourbons - Typically if the shelf is full of my favorites I reach for the Blanton's and that's why I'm almost always out of it. However, I have a really inexpensive option for those of you in Central Texas. Bottled right here in Austin - Nine Banded. It's embarrassingly cheap at around $30 for 750ML but is super smooth. It won best bourbon at our Guy's Weekend blind taste test back in 2018 and I've had bottles of it on my shelf pretty much ever since.

As far as trying to date Taylor, hell I'd give it the old college try. I figure if it didn't work out she'd at least write a song about me.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I know what I am getting next! Also don't know too much about tequilas but very interested in it! I went to a Tequila bar in Minnesota and it was quite eye opening the similarties to whiskies and I guess all alcohol that is barrel aged.
Many years ago, a friend organized a tequila tasting. Prior to that, I had no taste for it, it was just that thing we all drank too much of in college, or dumped cheap bottles of into buckets of margarita mix. Eye opening is the right way to describe it once I had a chance to sample some high quality aged tequilas all side by side. Since then, I've done a few more, and always found some good stuff.