Sponsored

Off Topic Chatter (Drinks, Travel, Photos, Anything Goes)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Ok I’ll bump off this great Bourbon topic to posting your “Best Catch”. (And no cute photos of your S.O.). This one is mine and my fishing team, Team Bald Tuna...249lb Yellowfin...

A7CA13B2-2263-40B2-B43D-AFF2695674BB.jpeg

93B94B41-200A-4A75-B359-8FC7EA8BCE6E.jpeg
That is beautiful!

Where did you catch it and when?
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Los Cabos in the world’s largest tuna tournament, cabotunajackpot.com. Going on our 7th year for Team Bald Tuna! Over one million $ in pot. Great time and highly recommend it.
Congrats! That is awesome!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sadly only had time for Suntory Factory in Osaka (Or just outside) but we did have time to go to Sapporo Beer Factory in the Northern Hokkaido Reigon which was tons of fun.

The yamazaki picture was taken the East entrance of Yellow Stone Park at our RV campground.
I'll bet the Sapporo Factory was a great time. Visiting Tokyo and Japan are high on my Bucket List.

Regarding Yellowstone, I've only been to the East entrance from inside the park during a January smowmachine trip. The snow was thick and we turned around to head back to West Yellowstone without ever leaving the park to the East. I'll have to hit that entrance in the Fall, after the crowds are gone, but before things start to shut down. That setting is gorgeous!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Love this thread, thanks for starting @kanundrum !

I've traditionally been a beer guy, but just recently got started with whiskey over the last couple years, so still pretty new to the game. Started off over ice with lower proof & preferred mellower stuff, now I like higher proof and bolder stuff. Haven't ventured into Scotch too much, but bought some Laphroaig because I tend to like smokiness...not a huge fan, it's a punch in the face.

@opnwide I love to fish, but haven't found the time to do it nearly enough in recent years. I've always wanted to go tuna fishing, but have never done it. Oddly enough, had plans & intentions several years ago when vacationing in the Virgin Islands...long story short, had too much scotch on the fishing yacht with the captain & crew the night before they were going to take us, and nobody was in any shape to go the next day. My girlfriend's brother was a captain for a private luxury yacht that we here able to stay on, and the fishing yacht was owned by the brother of our yachts owner. One of the coolest trips I've been on, so can't complain too much about missing the fishing.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Love this thread, thanks for starting @kanundrum !

I've traditionally been a beer guy, but just recently got started with whiskey over the last couple years, so still pretty new to the game. Started off over ice with lower proof & preferred mellower stuff, now I like higher proof and bolder stuff. Haven't ventured into Scotch too much, but bought some Laphroaig because I tend to like smokiness...not a huge fan, it's a punch in the face.

@opnwide I love to fish, but haven't found the time to do it nearly enough in recent years. I've always wanted to go tuna fishing, but have never done it. Oddly enough, had plans & intentions several years ago when vacationing in the Virgin Islands...long story short, had too much scotch on the fishing yacht with the captain & crew the night before they were going to take us, and nobody was in any shape to go the next day. My girlfriend's brother was a captain for a private luxury yacht that we here able to stay on, and the fishing yacht was owned by the brother of our yachts owner. One of the coolest trips I've been on, so can't complain too much about missing the fishing.
Thats a great story. Those are the memories that Adventure can bring. We'll have to talk about beers soon. Every place I visit now seems to have it's own local brew culture and I love trying the local favorite, wherever I happen to be.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I stumbled onto the site for High West Distillery while researching PT's Wood's High Mountain label. H.W.'s Double Rye caught my attention and now I see that you have it. All of PT's stuff is on my list to sample and buy while visiting Salida.
I mentioned this in the other thread when you were looking for suggestions, but I highly recommend the High West Bourye if you're going to try one.

p.s. Next up, Tequilas...
One of my favorite topics...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I mentioned this in the other thread when you were looking for suggestions, but I highly recommend the High West Bourye if you're going to try one.

One of my favorite topics...
MReda, Thanks for letting me know about the Bourye. I'll have to check out our Dept. of Gloom and Despair's website to see if it's imported to Oregon. If not, ROADTRIP!!!

Looking forward to getting your input, and that of the others, about your favorite Tequilas. I know what I like, but I'm a novice on this topic.

Probably an evening subject, but then again, it is the weekend...?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
MReda, Thanks for letting me know about the Bourye. I'll have to check out our Dept. of Gloom and Despair's website to see if it's imported to Oregon. If not, ROADTRIP!!!

Looking forward to getting your input, and that of the others, about your favorite Tequilas. I know what I like, but I'm a novice on this topic.

Probably an evening subject, but then again, it is the weekend...?
And nice and sunny outside... I like to switch to tequila and rum over the summer, and back to whiskey in the winter, with exceptions made for sitting around a campfire.

I buy a lot of Espolon, but mainly because I think it's a great value, not because it's the best I've ever had. And the labels they use are some of the best ever, especially on the blanco.

Roca Patron Anejo comes to mind as one of the better sipping tequilas I've had. Herradura Anejo and Casa Noble Anejo are also on my list.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Nice, but is that a fire alarm on the bottom shelf protecting your collection? Lol!!
That bottle of 132 proof Bookers could spontaneously combust at any second!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Greg,

What a fine collection, as well! Nice mix of the classics with a bunch of regional goodies. I stumbled onto the site for High West Distillery while researching PT's Wood's High Mountain label. H.W.'s Double Rye caught my attention and now I see that you have it. All of PT's stuff is on my list to sample and buy while visiting Salida.

I'll have to find the Dickel you have up front. I think my first bottle of Bourbon was Dickel's standard offering and it was a staple for years. I have friends that recently turned me on to Stagg as I had brought one of my Islay Single Mallts for them to try. The Stagg was outstanding!

I had been a bourbon guy before visiting family in Scotland and all they had was Scotch. Once I got home, I kept trying new Scotches and stopped buying much of anything else. Still love the Bourbons but will lean toward a new Scotch or Rye when looking for something different. The reduced sweetness of Scotch, and to a lesser degree, the Ryes, is a plus for me, but very few of my friends can tolerate the smokiness of the peat levels that the Islays all feature.

Funny story about Scotch. While visiting a wonderful group of my Mom's family in Scotland for the first time, I noticed every household had a bottle of Famous Grouse Scotch and nothing else. It was a staple throughout the country. When I asked my Mom's cousin "Why Famous Grouse when you have all these wonderful Single Malts around?" He didn't hesitate. He gave me this incredulous look and shot back "We're all Scotsman! We're cheap! We sell those expensive Single Malts to you Americans so we can afford to drink our favorites!" At least that's what it sounded like he said. His brogue was so thick I wasn't sure, but he was so emphatic and had that universal look that told me I had just asked the stupidest question he'd ever heard, so I didn't dare ask him to repeat himself. I had no problem understanding all three of those exclamation points! They are universal.

Thanks again for sharing you pic. You, Kanundrum, and Skyote have inspired me to explore beyond my tiny isle of Islay in the aisles of the liquor store (try saying that three times quickly when you're three sheets to the wind!).

Cheers! ??

p.s. Next up, Tequilas...
High West is good stuff. I’m mostly a KY bourbon snob, but HW does a good job. I’m a little biased since the distillery is 5 minutes from my house! Their ryes are the real standouts though. Double Rye makes an excellent old fashioned (especially when paired with black walnut bitters and homemade brandied cherries). Rendezvous and Campfire ryes from them are good as well.

The Dickel Barrel Select is OK, but don’t go out of your way to find it. There’s better stuff for that price. Their well stuff is just awful IMO.

Bookers is one of my favorites, especially in the winter. Neat is the only way to drink it, and like a really good tequila, it’s a sipper not a shooter. For being 125-135 proof, it’s surprisingly smooth. Heat hits your extremities, not scorching your throat. I have a few other barrel proofs, but none come anywhere close to Bookers. The Stagg is pretty harsh on the throat compared to Bookers. If you want Stagg, save your $ and go for a bottle of the original E.H. Stagg bourbon. That stuff is heaven on earth.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

High West is good stuff. I’m mostly a KY bourbon snob, but HW does a good job. I’m a little biased since the distillery is 5 minutes from my house! Their ryes are the real standouts though. Double Rye makes an excellent old fashioned (especially when paired with black walnut bitters and homemade brandied cherries). Rendezvous and Camepfire ryes from them are good as well.

The Dickel Barrel Select is OK, but don’t go out of your way to find it. There’s better stuff for that price. Their well stuff is just awful IMO.

Bookers is one of my favorites, especially in the winter. Neat is the only way to drink it, and like a really good tequila, it’s a sipper not a shooter. For being 125-135 proof, it’s surprisingly smooth. Heat hits your extremities, not scorching your throat. I have a few other barrel proofs, but none come anywhere close to Bookers. The Staygg is pretty harsh on the throat compared t
Greg,

You had me at “Neat is the only way to drink it, and like a really good tequila, it’s a sipper not a shooter.” I feel that way about all hard liquors. I’d rather enjoy them, and my friends, than to pour them down without really enjoying anything else. We’ve all been there, but to laugh at the memories, rather than wondering where they went, means more to me at this point.

I don’t want to sound pious, but I’d rather not wake up during the early afternoon in the middle of the town square and think “Hmm?, Where did my pants go, and where did this tattoo of Taylor Swift on my face come from?”

I think she’s wonderful, but a tattoo of her on my face falls short of my dreams. That said, enough about hard liquors.

Thanks for the education on the various selections you have. The Stagg I’m hoping to sample soon is the George T. Stagg, one of the Buffalo Trace collection. Regarding Tequilas, I have a friend who returned from a week in Mexico recently, and he is kind enough to be holding a Tequila tasting event tomorrow for a group of us to sample varieties not available here, at least not in our fair State.

Again, my thanks, and all my best!

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'll bet the Sapporo Factory was a great time. Visiting Tokyo and Japan are high on my Bucket List.

Regarding Yellowstone, I've only been to the East entrance from inside the park during a January smowmachine trip. The snow was thick and we turned around to head back to West Yellowstone without ever leaving the park to the East. I'll have to hit that entrance in the Fall, after the crowds are gone, but before things start to shut down. That setting is gorgeous!
Last year we worked on the road for 2 months and lived in a RV. I was actually scheduling this trip with the Originally Delivery of the Rivian as we went to the plant and played fetch in their front yard on our way out west but timing didn't work out as we all know. We did about 11,000 Miles and saw about 20 Major National Parks. Lots of pics for those interested and so many lessons learned about RVing, camping, etc haha.

Yea Sapporo it self as a town is amazing and the factory was such a delight. Northern Japan reminds me of Switzerland which is down right crazy. Also Rented a Subaru and drove everywhere on the other side of the road (only other time I did that was in Ireland). Funny enough I have never been to the UK at all so need to add that on the list!
Sponsored