DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Wonder what they’re doing with all the camera/Lidar stuff on the roof. Training the Driver+ system? 3D mapping for the Nav?
Either that, or creating a ploy to see if they could get everyone to stop talking about Launch Green for a minute. Dammit! That's on me. My bad!
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Wonder what they’re doing with all the camera/Lidar stuff on the roof. Training the Driver+ system? 3D mapping for the Nav?
It's good to gather data from high-resolution sources such as the protruding rotating lidar system and compare it to lower-resolution or less optimally placed sources, such as lidar mounted on the bumper or maybe near the headlights, along with the radar and camera systems. I piddle with machine learning and one of the challenges, once you can gather enough data (and "enough" can be defined as "more than I have") and can finally arrive a machine calculable solution (it can take weeks to arrive at some solutions - the Google Translate project took a decade to figure out what is a pretty good system now), then a desirable technique is to see how much data or quality of data or positioning of the sensors you can throw away and still get an "acceptable" solution.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

FYI that is in Beverly Hills. Hopefully they head 40 mins north a do that around my house.

Just their side gig working for Google to help defray the expense of testing. ;)
Upon closer examination, I think I see an "Uber eats" sticker on the back. That may explain the earlier sighting at Chipotle, or as my twisted comedic friends called it a few years ago, "the new In-N-Out".

Last edited:

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
It's good to gather data from high-resolution sources such as the protruding rotating lidar system and compare it to lower-resolution or less optimally placed sources, such as lidar mounted on the bumper or maybe near the headlights, along with the radar and camera systems. I piddle with machine learning and one of the challenges, once you can gather enough data (and "enough" can be defined as "more than I have") and can finally arrive a machine calculable solution (it can take weeks to arrive at some solutions - the Google Translate project took a decade to figure out what is a pretty good system now), then a desirable technique is to see how much data or quality of data or positioning of the sensors you can throw away and still get an "acceptable" solution.
the R1T won’t have lidar at all on release now.

Last edited:

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Why oh god do we keep seeing these things out testing with a lowered suspension? I sure hope that suspension height isn’t in “normal” ride height, bc I will be in “off road” the entire time.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Lower ride height=more efficiency

If they’re out mapping or gathering data, makes sense to be in the most efficient height mode to maximise range

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Lately I've been waffling between the T and S, so I was looking through some recent videos to try and get a feel for the S (I've been irrationally attached to getting a truck). Anyway, is it just me or does the S on the left of this look stretched? I'm trying to account for the angle here, but that rear window looks a hell of a lot more stretched than the one on the right.
1616292364487.png
It is the angle. It is worth noting though that they are a couple inches longer than the ones they had at the shows.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It is the angle. It is worth noting though that they are a couple inches longer than the ones they had at the shows.
Yeah, I actually deleted my post after seeing the blue one from a perpendicular angle too.

Really wish there were more videos of the S in the wild not covered in such crazy camo.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Lower ride height=more efficiency

If they’re out mapping or gathering data, makes sense to be in the most efficient height mode to maximise range
Well then my 300 Mile pack will only get 200 if that’s how they got to 300 in that ride height.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Why oh god do we keep seeing these things out testing with a lowered suspension? I sure hope that suspension height isn’t in “normal” ride height, bc I will be in “off road” the entire time.
opnwide, I'm pretty sure those pics show the Rivian in its normal height for pavement. When you say “lowered”, are you implying that maybe it’s been altered, or just sitting at the lowest adjustment within its range? I get having it at its highest setting for visibility purposes and especially during low speed off-roading, but there's no doubt that the aerodynamics (read "range") and the road handling/balance are all improved with the suspension in a lower setting.

If you're a fan of the better visibility when sitting up higher, again, I get it. There are times when I prefer that. For me, when driving on pavement, I prefer the lowest of the programmed settings for the improved handling characteristics in addition to getting the most range out of my battery. To each their own. Thankfully, it's adjustable and I'm looking forward to testing the R1T across its range of settings.

Last edited:

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
opnwide, I'm pretty sure those pics show the Rivian in its normal height for pavement. When you say “lowered”, are you implying that maybe it’s been altered, or just sitting at the lowest adjustment within its range? I get having it at its highest setting for visibility purposes and especially during low speed off-roading, but there's no doubt that the aerodynamics (read "range") and the road handling/balance are all improved with the suspension in a lower setting.

If you're a fan of the better visibility when sitting up higher, again, I get it. There are times when I prefer that. For me, when driving on pavement, I prefer the lowest of the programmed settings for the improved handling characteristics in addition to getting the most range out of my battery. To each their own. Thankfully, it's adjustable and I'm looking forward to testing the R1T across its range of settings.
Sure thanks I get why a truck (or car) would be more aerodynamic in the lowest setting. But I didn’t sign up to buy an El Camino. To me a “truck” from a pure esthetic standpoint should look like a truck if Rivian wants to compete with “trucks”. It seems that the R1S out testing recently in Normal also was very low, not to mention the R1T at While Foods. It does give me pause and wonder if the 300+ mile rating is only attainable in that lowered suspension height however, which I think is a very valid question.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sure thanks I get why a truck (or car) would be more aerodynamic in the lowest setting. But I didn’t sign up to buy an El Camino. To me a “truck” from a pure esthetic standpoint should look like a truck if Rivian wants to compete with “trucks”. It seems that the R1S out testing recently in Normal also was very low, not to mention the R1T at While Foods. It does give me pause and wonder if the 300+ mile rating is only attainable in that lowered suspension height however, which I think is a very valid question.
They are not trying to compete with your definition of a truck, but are marketing them as adventure vehicles. The Endurance, F150 Electric or perhaps even Hummer will fit your preferences more closely. You will be able to raise the ride height, but it will come at a cost of range. Nothing Rivian can do to change physics.
The best range at highway speeds will almost certainly be at a lowered ride height. Around town or at lower speeds will not make as much (if any) difference.
Sponsored