Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
Hey Rivian adventurers!

I wanted to share with y'all a recent trip we took with a group of 8 friends up here in Chilliwack, British Columbia. We had a total of 3 cars for the trip: 2 Teslas and 1 Rivian. It was a short weekend getaway, and we wanted to go somewhere a little remote. Luckily, we knew a friend who had built an off-grid geodesic dome in Chilliwack, which was being rented out on Airbnb. He kindly invited us over since it was still early in the season and bookings were not yet open. We were really excited about our stay, and the weather turned out to be amazing for the weekend—sunny, dry, and warmer than the usual spring temperature.

Rivian R1T R1S Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dome! Fruble Camp Kitchen in action on R1S Chilliack Fruble Trip 1_960

For food, we decided to bring our Instant Pot so we could make something simple and easy to feed the big group. The Instant Pot really came in clutch; all we needed to do was toss in all the ingredients we brought and let the magic happen. We brought dried chickpeas, carrots, celery, spinach, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and some seasonings. With all these ingredients, we made Moroccan chickpea soup and boiled a pot of quinoa on the side for everyone to enjoy. We had a bonfire and mingled throughout the night.

Rivian R1T R1S Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dome! Fruble Camp Kitchen in action on R1S Chilliack Fruble Trip 2-b_960

Rivian R1T R1S Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dome! Fruble Camp Kitchen in action on R1S Chilliack Fruble Trip 2-c_960

We had rented some paddle boards in advance, so after waking up and having coffee the next morning, we headed down to Cultus Lake, which is only 10 minutes away from the dome, and spent the rest of the afternoon at the clear and beautiful lake!

Rivian R1T R1S Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dome! Fruble Camp Kitchen in action on R1S Chilliack Fruble Trip 3-b_960

Fruble Camper Kit R1S is now available on Kickstarter! 👇

Sponsored

Last edited:

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

For the R1S, how high is that wooden platform and what mattresses would be compatible with it? I find my Exped Megamat is already hard to sit up and headspace is at a premium.

OP
OP
Fruble

Fruble

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
For the R1S, how high is that wooden platform and what mattresses would be compatible with it? I find my Exped Megamat is already hard to sit up and headspace is at a premium.
Hey Chris! The system stands at a height of 7.6 inches. If you already find the Exped too high for your liking, then it'll definitely be too tall with the kit. It's best suited for those who prioritize convenience and use the bed solely for sleeping, especially after a long adventure :)

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Rivian Forums only displayed this in the list of posts:

"Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dom…"

Made me click

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hey Chris! The system stands at a height of 7.6 inches. If you already find the Exped too high for your liking, then it'll definitely be too tall with the kit. It's best suited for those who prioritize convenience and use the bed solely for sleeping, especially after a long adventure :)
Do you have any mattress recommendations?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fruble

Fruble

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
Do you have any mattress recommendations?
Personally, I'm using the DreamCase mattress for the Tesla Model Y since I already have it, and it's about 3 inches thick. However, if you want the most covered surface area, the Exped Megamat Duo LW+ is perfect, as it's large enough to extend over the 3rd-row armrest area as well!

OP
OP
Fruble

Fruble

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
Looks awesome! Any plans to build a storage/camp cooking product for the R1T bed?
Thanks! No plan for the R1T bed but would love to do something with the tunnel!

Edited: Actually, the bed might make more sense. We might consider this over the tunnel!

Sponsored

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Are you saying with the front and mid cover on you can get a wider mattress than the Megamat Duo 10 double mattress? That sounds really cool. Do you have any photos of this by any chance? And could you share more photos of the interior of the R1S with everything on?

sorenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks! No plan for the R1T bed but would love to do something with the tunnel!

Edited: Actually, the bed might make more sense. We might consider this over the tunnel!
Awesome, please keep us updated if you do end up supporting the R1T!

I know there are currently some options on the market for the gear tunnel (e.g., Thunderbolt Adventure), but for me personally I prefer to keep the tunnel free for miscellaneous storage. Would be super interested in a bed option!

OP
OP
Fruble

Fruble

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
Are you saying with the front and mid cover on you can get a wider mattress than the Megamat Duo 10 double mattress? That sounds really cool. Do you have any photos of this by any chance? And could you share more photos of the interior of the R1S with everything on?
Yes, you can go with a wider mattress with the mid+front installed. I should have taken more interior photos, but unfortunately, I didn’t get them this time around. You can see the third-row armrest area a little better in the promo video at timestamp 5:15. The kit sits just a tad higher than the armrest, and the Duo 10 LW+ (52” wide) is large enough to cover that, or you can also use any other bigger mattresses that are ~51” wide. The front will hang off the platform a little bit, but most air mattresses should be rigid enough to hold the form. I'll definitely get more interior photos when I get a hold of another R1S next time. Here’s a screenshot of the mid-section from the video:
Rivian R1T R1S Camping with 1 Rivian, 2 Teslas, and 1 Off-Grid Dome! Fruble Camp Kitchen in action on R1S IMG_6051

OP
OP
Fruble

Fruble

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fruble.co
Vehicles
Model Y, R1S
Awesome, please keep us updated if you do end up supporting the R1T!

I know there are currently some options on the market for the gear tunnel (e.g., Thunderbolt Adventure), but for me personally I prefer to keep the tunnel free for miscellaneous storage. Would be super interested in a bed option!
Will do!
Sponsored