Sponsored

South Carolina, anyone?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Did anyone in South Carolina receive an estimated delivery date for a preorder yesterday?

We have an R1S configured and received the message that our delivery estimate is pending until they figure out the service center situation. That’s interesting because many of us have taken delivery in South Carolina, so seems like a strategy shift. I’m curious what’s going to happen with our delivery date when they do have a service center. You’d hope they slot us in roughly where we would have been otherwise, but who knows?

I get that the logistics are incredibly complicated so I’m not too surprised or disappointed, but wanted to check with others in SC to see if anyone actually has an estimate.
Rivian can't open a SC in South Carolina due to state laws that prohibit a manufacturer from operating a service or repair center inside the state. This applies to Tesla as well. South Carolina is among the most restrictive states for EVs. It's a bit ironic considering BMW and Volvo will be building EVs in volume inside the state and Bosch is/will be manufacturing parts for EVs in state as well.

It was rumored that they wanted to put one in Charleston to handle the entire coastal area from Savannah to Norfolk, but obviously that can't happen unless laws change. Unfortunately for Rivian and Tesla, Rick Hendrick and associates will prevent that from ever happening. South Carolina Rivian owners will have to be prepared to go to Charlotte, Savannah, Atlanta (or the new plant) or Wilmington.
Sponsored

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Rivian can't open a SC in South Carolina due to state laws that prohibit a manufacturer from operating a service or repair center inside the state.
Yes, and I think that after delivering some vehicles to South Carolina earlier in the year and after trying to support those vehicles from ATL or similarly distant service centers, Rivian has learned that it's too expensive to do that and is making customers unhappy, so has decided to pause deliveries to SC until they find a better solution.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yes, and I think that after delivering some vehicles to South Carolina earlier in the year and after trying to support those vehicles from ATL or similarly distant service centers, Rivian has learned that it's too expensive to do that and is making customers unhappy, so has decided to pause deliveries to SC until they find a better solution.
I believe this is likely the case, but that’s why I was asking - when is the cutoff? Are there any further deliveries happening? Did anyone actually receive an estimate?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It might not even be that they paused them so much as restricted or reduced the number of deliveries, especially the ones farther from Atlanta (for example, when I changed my address from Charleston to Greenville I got a guide the next day.)

I think part of the solution is once they have worked the kinks out of the manufacturing process and solved some of the more significant recall/redesign issues. It may be that they want to limit longer distance deliveries until those have been addressed and most of the earliest growing pains are done. Is that 3 months? 6 months? A year? I don't know.

I still blame the SC legislature for this problem though, with no expectation that it will be fixed.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
My statement was phrased as an opinion ("I think ..."). Rivian has not made an official statement to this effect, but customers in SC, NC, and all the other states with a similar ban on service centers have received email that says essentially we're delaying your order while we figure out what to do about the service center situation. Scroll up in the thread and you will see this, for example:
We have an R1S configured and received the message that our delivery estimate is pending until they figure out the service center situation.
There have been other posts in other threads that give the full text of the email.

My *interpretation* of this communication to customers in these specific states is as above:
I think that after delivering some vehicles to South Carolina earlier in the year and after trying to support those vehicles from ATL or similarly distant service centers, Rivian has learned that it's too expensive to do that and is making customers unhappy, so has decided to pause deliveries to SC until they find a better solution.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Ah sorry, i didn’t get the same email since mine was “we’re not making your color configuration”, nothing about service centers.

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
Soooo, I live in NC and got the same “processing” update as you all. I have a buddy who lives in Virginia, so I changed my delivery address to his and now I’ll be taking delivery of my R1T in 2 weeks lol. If you have friends/family in another state you don’t mind visiting, just change your delivery address.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
If you have friends/family in another state you don’t mind visiting, just change your delivery address.
Fine with me, as long as you don't come back to the forum and complain about how you have to drive 4 hours to get simple service done and that Rivian wants to charge you a towing fee to bring it in to fix panel gaps. Not saying you would do this, but there are an awful lot of people on this forum who ARE complaining about the long-distance service thing. Rivian is trying to avoid these problems, so if you deliberately circumvent the restriction then please don't blame Rivian for service problems.

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
Fine with me, as long as you don't come back to the forum and complain about how you have to drive 4 hours to get simple service done and that Rivian wants to charge you a towing fee to bring it in to fix panel gaps. Not saying you would do this, but there are an awful lot of people on this forum who ARE complaining about the long-distance service thing. Rivian is trying to avoid these problems, so if you deliberately circumvent the restriction then please don't blame Rivian for service problems.
Luckily you don’t have to worry about complaints coming from me. I know what I’m signing up for. Hope you aren’t losing sleep over random strangers complaining on an online forum though…

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Soooo, I live in NC and got the same “processing” update as you all. I have a buddy who lives in Virginia, so I changed my delivery address to his and now I’ll be taking delivery of my R1T in 2 weeks lol. If you have friends/family in another state you don’t mind visiting, just change your delivery address.
good to know, I just changed mine to my parents address in Michigan hoping for the best. Driving / towing to the service center in Atlanta isn’t a concern of mine.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Got my 8 steps today! Everything is ready to go except the delivery step is locked. Hoping it opens up within the next couple days and hopefully the contract I signed makes me eligible for the ‘22 tax credit still

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Got my 8 steps today! Everything is ready to go except the delivery step is locked. Hoping it opens up within the next couple days and hopefully the contract I signed makes me eligible for the ‘22 tax credit still
Awesome news!

Your contract with Rivian is binding and the $7500 tax credit applies regardless of if you take delivery in 22 or 23.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Awesome, glad to add another to the handful driving around Greenville. What is your build?