First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7
Occupation
Software Sales
Rivian R1T R1S 10 day young R1T encounter vs Deer @ 40 MPH - damage report & photos IMG_1927

After a year wait, my Rivian Blue Ocean Coast R1T was delivered 9 November. Coming back from my first 100+ mile trip a deer decided to jump in front of me. I was traveling about ~40 mph. We heard a very loud splat but felt nothing inside the vehicle. On casual observation that evening it looked like minor damage. However, upon close inspection the next day, the grill area has many cracks, there is minor cracks with hair embedded on the front panel, and the passenger side panel is pushed out almost an inch. Curiously, the manual Frunk button is basically gone and the car has locked and unlocked a couple of times while driving today. Otherwise it seems to be fully drivable.

Farmers Insurance Claim has been filed but no adjuster engagement as of yet. Concerned about the process and timing based on other posts and threads. I will update this post as my process progresses.

Rivian R1T R1S 10 day young R1T encounter vs Deer @ 40 MPH - damage report & photos IMG_1933

Rivian R1T R1S 10 day young R1T encounter vs Deer @ 40 MPH - damage report & photos IMG_1932
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
TBH that is not terrible for hitting a deer at 40 mph.

How did the deer do? Rule here in WI is if you kill it you can keep it; this varies by state.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You were lucky, damage could have been a lot worse.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

TBH that is not terrible for hitting a deer at 40 mph.

How did the deer do? Rule here in WI is if you kill it you can keep it; this varies by state.
Reminding me of the good old days as a teenager driving around Wisconsin, deer encounters are an inevitability. Sometimes you run into them, sometimes they run into you.

@Seth@Lake Sorry about your truck, hope you get back on the road soon.

OP
OP
Seth@Lake

Seth@Lake

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7
Occupation
Software Sales
You were lucky, damage could have been a lot worse.
In 45 years of driving, I had never hit a deer. Yes I think the R1T did incredible protecting the passengers. Only time will tell about the pain and suffering of getting all repairs made.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks like you got off easier than this guy.....Here's what a 70 mph + deer strike looks like....

Rivian R1T R1S 10 day young R1T encounter vs Deer @ 40 MPH - damage report & photos 1669155221264

R1TJ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ID.4, 2023 R1S
Clubs

IMG_1927.jpeg

After a year wait, my Rivian Blue Ocean Coast R1T was delivered 9 November. Coming back from my first 100+ mile trip a deer decided to jump in front of me. I was traveling about ~40 mph. We heard a very loud splat but felt nothing inside the vehicle. On casual observation that evening it looked like minor damage. However, upon close inspection the next day, the grill area has many cracks, there is minor cracks with hair embedded on the front panel, and the passenger side panel is pushed out almost an inch. Curiously, the manual Frunk button is basically gone and the car has locked and unlocked a couple of times while driving today. Otherwise it seems to be fully drivable.

Farmers Insurance Claim has been filed but no adjuster engagement as of yet. Concerned about the process and timing based on other posts and threads. I will update this post as my process progresses.

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1932.jpeg
Did the sensors give you any alert or attempt to brake before impact?

I'm glad that you and the truck are (mostly) ok.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
As we say around here when we see a deer: "oh Deer!"

it looks like the R1T did pretty well overall. keep us posted on the fix....

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@Seth@Lake looks like a small piece of plastic has broken inside the passenger head light, you can see it at the bottom of the stadium lighting.

That sucks too. I remember one day I had just polished up my Mazda 323 with some good old New Finish wax, went around a corner and hit a deer. Fortunately that smooth New Finish...finish.. let the deer just slide with ease up my hood and off to the drivers side before it hit the windshield. Deer looked back at me and gave me "Two Hooves Up!" on my wax job, and scampered back to its family.

Moral of the story, that New Finish shine prevents damage from deer impacts.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
@Seth@Lake looks like a small piece of plastic has broken inside the passenger head light, you can see it at the bottom of the stadium lighting.

That sucks too. I remember one day I had just polished up my Mazda 323 with some good old New Finish wax, went around a corner and hit a deer. Fortunately that smooth New Finish...finish.. let the deer just slide with ease up my hood and off to the drivers side before it hit the windshield. Deer looked back at me and gave me "Tow Hooves Up!" on my wax job, and scampered back to its family.

Moral of the story, that New Finish shine prevents damage from deer impacts.
In South Africa, it would be “Gnu Finish”. Sorry…I’ll see myself out…😂

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seth@Lake

Seth@Lake

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7
Occupation
Software Sales
Did the sensors give you any alert or attempt to brake before impact?

I'm glad that you and the truck are (mostly) ok.
No sensors went off. I saw the deer for a couple of seconds before it decided to make a wrong right turn. I was slowing from regen braking.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I almost crashed my car trying to miss a squirrel. My friend did not have the same luck with his Porsche. He ended up needing surgery for his back from his crash trying to avoid a squirrel. The older I get-the softer I become!

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I almost crashed my car trying to miss a squirrel. My friend did not have the same luck with his Porsche. He ended up needing surgery for his back from his crash trying to avoid a squirrel. The older I get-the softer I become!
Love animals but I'm not going to risk my or others safety or vehicle for a squirrel.