Sponsored

PLAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Occupation
Physical Therapist/Ski Guide/Avy Educator
Interesting…thanks for the link and some sense (albeit naive sense) that it can be done over the air. I should open up a guided ski tour at PowMow for Rivian big hitters on our pow stashes and then have them drive down the county road so this issue garners the attention it desperately needs. BTW… this road takes lives annually when folks do not have the resistance of a “low gear” a majority of the way.
Sponsored

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Between Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10, Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV, Hakkapeliitta LT3, what are the pro/cons for using them on R1T with 20 inch wheels? or just choose whatever is available now :D

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
^^They should be great in the snow, but there's absolutely no way that tire is 35 lbs as stated by Amazon. 😲

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Temporary solution until/hopefully so sort of "snow" mode with lower/no regen.
Charge to 85%+ to get no/low regen... and cold battery.
This is my plan getting down my steep single lane road with 2 switchbacks.
Planning to test tomorrow morning on high charge.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
As someone who owns two vehicles with the best 4WD systems out there (Range Rover and Grand Cherokee Trailhawk), I can say with authority that tires are still the most important factor for winter driving. That said, if you want a tire that can absolutely do it all, look at the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

It's an all-season tire that performs nearly as well as a dedicated snow tire. But it also works great as a summer tire. It works well in heavy rain/water. It's quiet, comfortable, has great steering feel, and long tread life. There's really no downside to this tire. A friend turned me on to this tire about a year ago and i can't believe how good it is in all conditions. It excels in snow, not just for traction, but also for braking. I'd never bother with snow tires again. Yes, its that good.

Don't take my word for it.....there are tons of reviews online and even on YouTube. Engineering Explained even did a pretty good video on this tire.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
It's an all-season tire that performs nearly as well as a dedicated snow tire. But it also works great as a summer tire. It works well in heavy rain/water. It's quiet, comfortable, has great steering feel, and long tread life. There's really no downside to this tire.
It is indeed a very good tire but I know that Tesla owners are reporting a significant impact on range b/c of its high rolling resistance. Also, it's not available in any of the Rivian tire sizes.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They keep suggesting that to people, but their own manual says to use all purpose in snow/ rain 😒
All purpose and a driver mod. Don't friggen completely lift off the accelerator unless you're already going to smash into something! I have a feeling most of the people complaining are the type to lift completely and re-apply throttle to not stop too early when the pavement is dry.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It is indeed a very good tire but I know that Tesla owners are reporting a significant impact on range b/c of its high rolling resistance. Also, it's not available in any of the Rivian tire sizes.
The size issue is a bummer. Honestly though, I've read that it's a fairly low rolling resistance tire, but I guess not compared to the ultra-low resistance tires that typically come on EVs.

I'm guessing that the Kevlar tires that originally came on my Jeep have far more rolling resistance, so for me the Michelins were a win-win.

I'm just really surprised that an all-season tire can perform like a dedicated snow tire.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The size issue is a bummer. Honestly though, I've read that it's a fairly low rolling resistance tire, but I guess not compared to the ultra-low resistance tires that typically come on EVs.

I'm guessing that the Kevlar tires that originally came on my Jeep have far more rolling resistance, so for me the Michelins were a win-win.

I'm just really surprised that an all-season tire can perform like a dedicated snow tire.
Why would I want to go from an AT w/3peaks to an AS w/3peaks? The only way to absolutely improve grip is with dedicated winter tires.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Why would I want to go from an AT w/3peaks to an AS w/3peaks? The only way to absolutely improve grip is with dedicated winter tires.
Because that Michelin is much better in snow. And it's also much better when not in snow. It's a superior tire all around. Don't get too hung up on the all-terrain vs all-season designation. That's more of a marketing thing.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Because that Michelin is much better in snow. And it's also much better when not in snow. It's a superior tire all around. Don't get too hung up on the all-terrain vs all-season designation. That's more of a marketing thing.
I'm not hung up on AT vs AS. In 40+ years of driving, it's about AS vs winter that I seriously doubt. What it means to me is you haven't reached the driving condition where winter tires become superior to AS. If I'm going to replace AT tires with better winter traction, I will replace them with the best and there is no AS tires out there that can compete with winter tires.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I'm not hung up on AT vs AS. In 40+ years of driving, it's about AS vs winter that I seriously doubt. What it means to me is you haven't reached the driving condition where winter tires become superior to AS. If I'm going to replace AT tires with better winter traction, I will replace them with the best and there is no AS tires out there that can compete with winter tires.
Disagreed. These Michelins compare with dedicated snow tires. This isn't just my opinion.....there are several comparison tests that put them squarely in the snow tire performance range. I've even seen evidence that they outperform some snow tires. As we all know, not every snow tire performs the same.

The big advantage to this all season tire is just that---its an all season tire. So it vastly outperforms snow tires during the non-winter months.

Do your own research and maybe you'll learn a thing or two instead of being stuck in the past with the way things used to be. Technology is a wonderful thing and Michelin has created a tire that can truly do it all. I've lived almost my entire life in upstate NY, so that's nearly 40 years of snow driving experience. And I've never experienced a non-snow tire that works as well in the snow as this Michelin tire.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I do believe it’s possible an all season tire designed specifically for snow/ wet could do as well or better than the AT and even some snow tires. I still wouldn’t trust that all season off road.

I’ve had well regarded 3 peak AT tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac) that worked great off road but were terrible in the snow. The treads kept getting packed with snow and it felt like I was rolling on 4 round pieces of ice.

We all have to choose based on where and how we drive.
Sponsored