First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
Pre ordered my R1S Launch in November 2020. Any other MNers on here that placed an order?
Sponsored

Last edited:

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
June 2020. R1T Explore Package.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
December 2020 2019
R1T Launch, may flip to Explore Max Pack

*edit - forgot what year we pre-ordered... time has been weird lately.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
Pre ordered my R1S Launch in November 2020. Any other MNers on here that placed an order?
What options is everyone getting?? I went with Launch Green (have gone back and forth between white and green), black int, and all terrain tires. I was super hopeful they would have more of a navy blue with brown interior but I’m still pretty stoked for the green and black. Will be nice to have those ATs in the snow.

Also...seeing the recent off road videos I’m excited to put the R1S to the test when I get it. Any places anyone would recommend around the twin cities to off road??

Sponsored

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I currently have it configured in El Cap Granite with the 20" All Terrain wheels and off-road package.

I don't think I'll do any heavy duty off roading - and don't know of any place close to the twin cities - but I am looking forward to hitting the grouse trails up north!

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
What options is everyone getting?? I went with Launch Green (have gone back and forth between white and green), black int, and all terrain tires. I was super hopeful they would have more of a navy blue with brown interior but I’m still pretty stoked for the green and black. Will be nice to have those ATs in the snow.

Also...seeing the recent off road videos I’m excited to put the R1S to the test when I get it. Any places anyone would recommend around the twin cities to off road??
So far for options we're looking at are similar to yours; the blue exterior, black interior, 20" AT wheel/tire.

We may drop down to the no-cost white exterior on an Explore trim w/ Max Pack, though. I like the thought of the 400-mi range when temps. drop for long stretches. We make several road-trips a year for kayaking in either Superior/Voyageurs, skiing in CO, and hiking out west (hit 11 Nat'l Parks last year.) With the Explore I also think the 4-piece bed cover might be better in the long run than the powered cover. I'm not sure how the powered one will function when snow melts into it and then freezes in place over night. The dual functionality where the 4-piece cover can be used as a camp table is also appealing.

For off-roading around the Twin Cities I'm considering taking the R1T onto the ice. The local Audi club holds four ice driving events a year where they plow three race tracks on a frozen lake south of the cities. It's hilariously fun and a low risk place to hoon a car around a race track on ice. Just not sure about the 6,000-lbs curb weight... There was just one this past weekend (image below). It'd be fun to see what the quad-motor system allows for sliding around.
Rivian R1T R1S Minnesota Pre Orders Ice Driving Drift

OP
OP

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
I currently have it configured in El Cap Granite with the 20" All Terrain wheels and off-road package.

I don't think I'll do any heavy duty off roading - and don't know of any place close to the twin cities - but I am looking forward to hitting the grouse trails up north!
“Heavy” off roading may be something i avoid too. Would love to put it to the test at some point though. My dad used to have a Land Rover and there were events (i think sponsored by Land Rover specifically) where owners could come and learn about the off
Roading features. It was also very social. Maybe we need a Rivian MN owners club to do the same. I’m the only person (besides those on this thread) who has pre ordered in MN so I’m not sure how many we will see at first.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

December 2019 reservation, R1T Forest Green Launch Edition with green interior.

Glad to see a few other Minnesota reservation holders. I’ve been seriously debating whether to wait for the larger battery pack or stick with the 300mile battery pack. I am anxious to get delivery, but wondering if I should wait. I bought a used 2016 VW Golf as an experiment with owning an electric car and starting to see how winter dramatically reduces battery range. The VW was never meant to go very far (100 miles new), but I barely get half that depending if I use the heater. And 50 miles really equates to 25 if I’m trying to get back home to recharge. I’m hoping new battery tech and a different implementation changes that equation.

Rivian R1T R1S Minnesota Pre Orders 4DF60BAC-0DD8-4C3B-9F88-BA0701D43BA1

OP
OP

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
December 2019 reservation, R1T Forest Green Launch Edition with green interior.

Glad to see a few other Minnesota reservation holders. I’ve been seriously debating whether to wait for the larger battery pack or stick with the 300mile battery pack. I am anxious to get delivery, but wondering if I should wait. I bought a used 2016 VW Golf as an experiment with owning an electric car and starting to see how winter dramatically reduces battery range. The VW was never meant to go very far (100 miles new), but I barely get half that depending if I use the heater. And 50 miles really equates to 25 if I’m trying to get back home to recharge. I’m hoping new battery tech and a different implementation changes that equation.

4DF60BAC-0DD8-4C3B-9F88-BA0701D43BA1.jpeg
We were looking at a Model 3 and i think they said the cold weather reduces battery efficiency by 20%? Would expect it’s about the same with new battery tech in the Rivian? I wonder what they learned when they tested in Baudette.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
So far for options we're looking at are similar to yours; the blue exterior, black interior, 20" AT wheel/tire.

We may drop down to the no-cost white exterior on an Explore trim w/ Max Pack, though. I like the thought of the 400-mi range when temps. drop for long stretches. We make several road-trips a year for kayaking in either Superior/Voyageurs, skiing in CO, and hiking out west (hit 11 Nat'l Parks last year.) With the Explore I also think the 4-piece bed cover might be better in the long run than the powered cover. I'm not sure how the powered one will function when snow melts into it and then freezes in place over night. The dual functionality where the 4-piece cover can be used as a camp table is also appealing.

For off-roading around the Twin Cities I'm considering taking the R1T onto the ice. The local Audi club holds four ice driving events a year where they plow three race tracks on a frozen lake south of the cities. It's hilariously fun and a low risk place to hoon a car around a race track on ice. Just not sure about the 6,000-lbs curb weight... There was just one this past weekend (image below). It'd be fun to see what the quad-motor system allows for sliding around.
Ice Driving Drift.gif
I live right by Minnetonka so we may explore out there. Always weary of driving on the ice though. There have been more cars falling through than i remember in past years...

OP
OP

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
great minds think alike ;)
I considered the green on green too...kind of want to see that in person if possible. I’m launch green with black interior R1S currently.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I considered the green on green too...kind of want to see that in person if possible. I’m launch green with black interior R1S currently.
El Cap Granite and Limestone are also very very tempting options. I just really like what I see so far with the Forest green in images. I'm curious about the Launch Green, but really need to see that in person. I had really wanted an expresso interior option, but the green seems exciting too.
Sponsored