First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm lucky to live close to one of the 3 RAN sites up and running (Bishop, CA) and decided I'd go give it a try after a number of errands just to see how the experience was.

I thought it was kind of funny that when I used the in-app navigation to locate a charging station, the RAN site didn't even show up as a result. I tried a bit later and it was 2nd in the list after an Electrify America station which I think was actually a tiny bit further away. I knew where the RAN was, but decided to punch it into the navigation system anyway.

What surprised me was then I got a status show up in the nav while on the journey to the charger that said something like "preparing battery for fast charging". The RAN was about 5 minutes away, so I have no idea what the truck might be doing to prepare for fast charging or how long it might take or if 5 minutes was enough time.

The charge went flawlessly. Topped out at about 215kW indicated on the RAN charging station & slowed as we got to about ~80% before I stopped the charge.

Still curious what this preparation might be or if it's important to tell the car you're headed to a fast charger in advance. I didn't see any reference to this need/feature in the manual.

Pic of Bishop, CA RAN up and running and also to let you know we're apparently pretty excited about the dream of fast electric charging in the beautiful Eastern Sierra Nevada of California.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T "preparing battery for fast charging" Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 9.27.36 PM
Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
So, how much charge and how long did it take? That’s cool that they have a RAN charger in Bishop. I kind of wish it was in Lone Pine for those Death Valley trips I like to take. Could use a couple more along the 395 corridor, especially north of Reno into Oregon, where it is an electrical desert.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
So, how much charge and how long did it take? That’s cool that they have a RAN charger in Bishop. I kind of wish it was in Lone Pine for those Death Valley trips I like to take. Could use a couple more along the 395 corridor, especially north of Reno into Oregon, where it is an electrical desert.
The Inyokern RAN is also now open if that is useful.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Still curious what this preparation might be or if it's important to tell the car you're headed to a fast charger in advance. I didn't see any reference to this need/feature in the manual.
It is preconditioning the battery so that you can charge at the optimal speed when you arrive at the station.

If it didn't, you'd have a slow ramp up while the battery was getting to the right temp to charge

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It is preconditioning the battery so that you can charge at the optimal speed when you arrive at the station.

If it didn't, you'd have a slow ramp up while the battery was getting to the right temp to charge
Or it derates earlier than it should.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Still curious what this preparation might be or if it's important to tell the car you're headed to a fast charger in advance.
It is taking energy from the battery and converting it to heat which it uses to warm the battery in order that it be at the ideal temperature for fast charging when you arrive at the station. Obviously this is reducing range but that doesn't matter as you are about to charge. Clearly this is only prudent when you are on your way to a charger that is known to be working and so is only dome when you have told the navigation system you are on your way to a charger.

OP
OP

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It is taking energy from the battery and converting it to heat which it uses to warm the battery in order that it be at the ideal temperature for fast charging when you arrive at the station.
Interesting. Interesting especially because I think the ambient temperature was about 90 degrees and I'd already been driving a while (and the temps had been even warmer earlier). I would have guessed if anything pre-cooling the battery might help combat presumably a lot of heat that gets created while charging.

Regardless, I wonder if that means I should get in the habit of using the nav system to head to a fast charger even if I know where it is or would rather use the nav on my phone. I don't see any other independent option in the car to say I plan to fast charge soon (for example if I was waiting in line at a busy charger or running an errand nearby).

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
This message came up today while I was a full hour away from my DC fast charger destination. That seems excessive.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Very cool! Looking forward to the day charging will be as easy as petrol fill ups are now. I will sound like my dad when he says, "I remember when gas was $0.50!" I'll be telling my kids, "I remember when charging used to take 30 minutes."

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I will sound like my dad when he says, "I remember when gas was $0.50!"
Your dad must be a young fellow. I recall when a gallon was 17¢ and you got a glass with Fred Flintstone's picture on it or Greenstamps.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This message came up today while I was a full hour away from my DC fast charger destination. That seems excessive.
I had this today too. Well over and hour away and it was preconditioning. Seems to run cooling system to precool, but why an hour before? So I stopped the navigation to stop that silliness....and the set it when I was about 20 minutes from charging. That is janky. Needs improvement I am sure.

TheHedgehog116

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Charger
When your truck is preconditioning along the way, can you feel mild vibrations near the pedals? I have vibrations and wondering if that is normal.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

When your truck is preconditioning along the way, can you feel mild vibrations near the pedals? I have vibrations and wondering if that is normal.
It's the cooling fans kicking into high gear to get the batteries to optimal temperature for fast charging.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think it's doing much (if anything) most of that time.
Sponsored