Sponsored
First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Allroad, Honda Accord, Audi A6
Took our first long trip in our R1T. We’ve taken several weekend trips, however this was our first long trip. This is our first EV so we took our time driving down in order to get used to what it’s like. Just about 1,700 miles total – Portland to Ashland; Ashland to Red Bluff; Red Bluff to San Jose; San Jose to Ashland; Ashland to Portland. Short stops and side trips - Ashland, Lake Sikiyou, Shasta (mountain and lake), and a short trip through the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. We forgot to reset the trip odometer until a bit into the trip – so only sharing about 60% of the data – highway speeds were usually over 70 and quite a bit of driving in San Jose/Santa Clara as we were there to move our son out of his dorm.

The ride!
Oh so wonderful. A joy to drive and ride in on the highway. Handled the curves like a champ. Never wanting for the ability to speed up, or slow down. Passing other vehicles was a breeze :).

People and vehicles.
Lots of thumbs up. Many inquisitive glances – what is that? A few pictures taken of us/the truck. At stops, hotels and restaurants many asked us what we thought of the truck. (we love it – we put that on repeat). Two Rivian sightings. Rivian blue on the highway in San Jose – got a honk! And a white Rivian on I-5 headed south while we were stuck in accident traffic.

Mapping and Charging.
  • The mapping function worked well and suggested charging stops. We consistently cross referenced with Plugshare and checked charger activity through that and the apps for the chargers. On the way back the truck suggested that we needed to charge earlier that I thought we would need to, that was due to the uphill drive and I hadn’t thought about that. Good balance.
  • Electrify America worked great – we saw a few Walmarts and the Vacaville premium outlets.
  • Downtown Ashland has free charging and a good amount of parking
  • Two of our hotels had free charging and got us enough of a charge on multiple days. One had Tesla chargers and the TeslaTap adapter worked perfectly. The other hotel in San Jose had Chargepoint chargers that were slow (approx. 5 kwh) and there weren’t enough of them for everyone who was staying there – timing of getting the parking spot was key.

Random notes:
  • If pets come; get a hammock!!! Our dogs were with us and we had one. Thank goodness as it turned out our dogs had a stomach flu while we were traveling. Yuck – had to hose it off at one point.
  • Should have bought a monthly member pass to Electrify America – after checking all the numbers this trip would have allowed us to save on the price per kwh and it was enough miles to justify a year’s worth of member fees.
  • Was interesting to see how we felt about free charging spots. Once you’re there, you kind of don’t want to move the truck.
  • Will bring camp chairs next time so that when we’re waiting at charging locations (with dogs) and don’t want to be in the truck we can sit under the trees in shade.
  • Got over the how far can we go / charging angst. Chargers up and down I-5 are plentiful.
  • I have WAY too many EV charging apps on my phone.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Trip report. Round trip Portland OR to San Jose CA Tripodometer
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Took our first long trip in our R1T. We’ve taken several weekend trips, however this was our first long trip. This is our first EV so we took our time driving down in order to get used to what it’s like. Just about 1,700 miles total – Portland to Ashland; Ashland to Red Bluff; Red Bluff to San Jose; San Jose to Ashland; Ashland to Portland. Short stops and side trips - Ashland, Lake Sikiyou, Shasta (mountain and lake), and a short trip through the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. We forgot to reset the trip odometer until a bit into the trip – so only sharing about 60% of the data – highway speeds were usually over 70 and quite a bit of driving in San Jose/Santa Clara as we were there to move our son out of his dorm.

The ride!
Oh so wonderful. A joy to drive and ride in on the highway. Handled the curves like a champ. Never wanting for the ability to speed up, or slow down. Passing other vehicles was a breeze :).

People and vehicles.
Lots of thumbs up. Many inquisitive glances – what is that? A few pictures taken of us/the truck. At stops, hotels and restaurants many asked us what we thought of the truck. (we love it – we put that on repeat). Two Rivian sightings. Rivian blue on the highway in San Jose – got a honk! And a white Rivian on I-5 headed south while we were stuck in accident traffic.

Mapping and Charging.
  • The mapping function worked well and suggested charging stops. We consistently cross referenced with Plugshare and checked charger activity through that and the apps for the chargers. On the way back the truck suggested that we needed to charge earlier that I thought we would need to, that was due to the uphill drive and I hadn’t thought about that. Good balance.
  • Electrify America worked great – we saw a few Walmarts and the Vacaville premium outlets.
  • Two of our hotels had free charging and got us enough of a charge on multiple days. One had Tesla chargers and the TeslaTap adapter worked perfectly. The other hotel in San Jose had Chargepoint chargers that were slow (approx. 5 kwh) and there weren’t enough of them for everyone who was staying there – timing of getting the parking spot was key.

Random notes:
  • If pets come; get a hammock!!! Our dogs were with us and we had one. Thank goodness as it turned out our dogs had a stomach flu while we were traveling. Yuck – had to hose it off at one point.
  • Should have bought a monthly member pass to Electrify America – after checking all the numbers this trip would have allowed us to save on the price per kwh and it was enough miles to justify a year’s worth of member fees.
  • Was interesting to see how we felt about free charging spots. Once you’re there, you kind of don’t want to move the truck.
  • Will bring camp chairs next time so that when we’re waiting at charging locations (with dogs) and don’t want to be in the truck we can sit under the trees in shade.
  • Got over the how far can we go / charging angst. Chargers up and down I-5 are plentiful.

Tripodometer.jpg
Did you find a way to drive downhill for 900 miles?

3.45 miles per kWh is impressive. It is hard for me to get that in my Model S when I baby it.

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Nice report. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear EA stations worked fine. I am planning to trip along the east coast and am a bit worried about EA, based on reports on the forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Allroad, Honda Accord, Audi A6
Did you find a way to drive downhill for 900 miles?

3.45 miles per kWh is impressive. It is hard for me to get that in my Model S when I baby it.
I just checked and our overall efficiency is at 2.21 for over 3k miles so overall that seems to be more normal. since we forgot to reset the trip odometer for the first third or so we did miss a good bit of uphill so we the trip capture probably did have more downhill . . .

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I just checked and our overall efficiency is at 2.21 for over 3k miles so overall that seems to be more normal. since we forgot to reset the trip odometer for the first third or so we did miss a good bit of uphill so we the trip capture probably did have more downhill . . .
Nice trip report.

Most likely your trip meter got corrupted at some point, I have seen this happen to mine on several occasions causing both overestimates and underestimates of my efficiency.

Great advice on the EA membership, pays for itself if you fast charge at least once a month.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Something isn't right with that figure. Just not realistically possible, especially with 20" all terrains. Doesn't pass the smell test. My 2,000 lighter and far more aerodynamic Model S gets less than that when averaging "usually over 70 mph". So, for those thinking those figures will be what you can expect from your Rivian, you'll be sadly disappointed. Rule of thumb for these things, if driven reasonably, not like a grandma by not like Andretti either, can expect roughly in the 2 miles per kWh.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
What mode did you mostly drive in?

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Love to read stories like this. I've got a couple longer trips on I-5 this summer from WA down to Stockton area and looking forward to the drive for the first time in many years but also a bit curious how the drive will be factoring in recharge stops. I usually drive Seattle>Redding>Stockton but thinking with recharging I may need to stop on the Oregon side of the Siskiyous.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

Added an Orvis hammock to mine last night in preparation for our first trip down to Santa Barbara from the SF Bay on Friday!

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
That's awesome! Thanks for the writeup! There are a few blue Rivian around San Jose. I wonder if it was me?!?

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
Yeah that isn't accurate unfortunately. That thing does around 1.9 in all the reviews I have seen. My S P100D, 85D, or Mustang Mach-E couldn't touch 3.45. The Mach-E got the closest at 3.33 and change sometimes.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The ride!

People and vehicles.

Mapping and Charging.

Random notes:

Tripodometer.jpg
Do you have the regular TeslaTap or mini?
Sponsored