First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Interesting, how he couldn't say how many vehicles will be available. I remember seeing that some CS reps were saying that they'll have enough vehicles to meet the preorders for the LE on 2021, that prob won't be the case.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for posting this @electruck. One interesting piece I heard RJ say, was regarding the chargIng infrastructure. Using an example of a trip from the Bay Area to Tahoe, he said it will be seamless, without having to deal with a credit card payment. It wasn’t clear to me if that means using any network, or specifically Rivian’s charging network.

Last edited:
OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian has always been very guarded about sharing numbers, probably for a variety of reasons but I suspect competetive reasons lead the list. One of the advantages for Rivian of not being a public company is that they don't have to share those numbers. RJ has also stated before that many customers would likely be waiting for longer than they would like to take delivery - and not simply because of the covid delay. I was very surprised to see the comments reported last week suggesting that all LE vehicles might be delivered in 2021. I still do not expect that will be the case although the early LE "sell out" on Friday might lead us to believe they were indeed targeting the production of a specific number of LE vehicles that could perhaps be delivered by the end of the year. Regardless, I think we all need to seriously temper our expectations about delivery dates and keep in mind that the 6/21, 8/21 and 1/22 dates are simply for the initial deliveries. It implies nothing about Rivian's actual production rate.

RJ's mention of working to reduce the production constraints in order to speed up deliveries is encouraging but we simply just don't know what this might actually translate too. And we probably won't for quite some time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

Rivian has always been very guarded about sharing numbers, probably for a variety of reasons but I suspect competetive reasons lead the list. One of the advantages for Rivian of not being a public company is that they don't have to share those numbers. RJ has also stated before that many customers would likely be waiting for longer than they would like to take delivery - and not simply because of the covid delay. I was very surprised to see the comments reported last week suggesting that all LE vehicles might be delivered in 2021. I still do not expect that will be the case although the early LE "sell out" on Friday might lead us to believe they were indeed targeting the production of a specific number of LE vehicles that could perhaps be delivered by the end of the year. Regardless, I think we all need to seriously temper our expectations about delivery dates and keep in mind that the 6/20, 8/20 and 1/21 dates are simply when certain configurations will enter production. It implies nothing about Rivian's actual production rate.

RJ's mention of working to reduce the production constraints in order to speed up deliveries is encouraging but we simply just don't know what this might actually translate too. And we probably won't for quite some time.
Those dates are actually supposedly for initial deliveries, not initial production.

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Thanks for posting this @electruck. One interesting piece I heard RJ say, was regarding the chargIng infrastructure. Using an example of a trip from the Bay Area to Tahoe, he said it will be seamless, without having to deal with a credit card payment. It wasn’t clear to me if that means using any network, or specifically Rivian’s charging network.
I took it as a seamless journey using the Rivian Adventure Network. RJ stated that the benefit of using their own network would be much easier for the company and the consumer, so maybe I'm reading too much into his statement, but I took it as maybe a more expansive network than what they have discussed in the past. Possibly starting in more remote areas as we've heard in the past, but then expanding on that initial grid.

I guess we'll find out in the next months as more information is released.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I took it as a seamless journey using the Rivian Adventure Network. RJ stated that the benefit of using their own network would be much easier for the company and the consumer, so maybe I'm reading too much into his statement, but I took it as maybe a more expansive network than what they have discussed in the past. Possibly starting in more remote areas as we've heard in the past, but then expanding on that initial grid.

I guess we'll find out in the next months as more information is released.
There were indeed some strong hints at a proprietary network similar to Tesla, with some additional functionalities like the ability to reserve charging slots, etc. But we are still be able to use existing networks as well, And at much higher speeds than a Tesla can with a CHAdeMO adapter.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Lol at the CNBC take “entering a crowded truck market...”

A crowd of zero at the point in June when Rivians are on the road. I would take those crowds at Disneyworld.
Sponsored