Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ah that's surprising. Well then it just happens to sound like a space ship naturally!
Just normal motor whine. When I really romp on my MINI you can hear the same, but it's only a single motor and much lower power, so the whine is much quieter.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Trading a Corvette for a Rivian?! Yeah...not even remotely close in handling. Acceleration will be way better in the Rivian, but it won't stop as well as the Corvette. I went from test driving the R1T back into my electric MINI and started having second thoughts because the MINI was so much more nimble and light on its feet. I'm still planning to merge my 4Runner and MINI into a Rivian, but currently keeping my Corvette. That all said, the Rivian still corners better than probably any truck you'll ever find from an OEM. I romped it up a canyon and sent it into corners at close to double suggested speeds at times and it took it in stride on the ATs. I'm sure the 22s would be even more fun. But a sports car it is not when it weighs 7000 lbs.
If you think your mini is nimble and light on its feet, you should try an i3s sometime with its carbon fiber supercar frame. Same motor but much less weight!

Either way, it is going to be tough going from the ultra light ultra efficient i3s to the massive R1T and the handling is something I will be really keen on evaluating in my first mile drive.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If you think your mini is nimble and light on its feet, you should try an i3s sometime with its carbon fiber supercar frame. Same motor but much less weight!

Either way, it is going to be tough going from the ultra light ultra efficient i3s to the massive R1T and the handling is something I will be really keen on evaluating in my first mile drive.
Maybe hard to believe, but my i3-derived MINI is actually around the same weight as the newer i3s. And it has 205s all around...so way more rubber than the i3. All the numbers I've seen say the MINI SE is 3150 lbs and nearly a 1-inch lower center of gravity than a Cooper S.

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I really enjoy switching between mine (3P, YP, and maybe once a month I take my Cayman out). I'm more relaxed in the Rivian, because you just don't have the same center of gravity to get away with the (terrible) things you can do in a fast car. And it's just too fun to drive like an idiot..

I do wish there was a sportier throttle mapping in the Rivian though instead of having to give so much input to get it moving. I love my Rivian but I think the Y is a really good balance of power/driving feel/massive storage. I have my issues with Tesla QC but it's a really solid car overall.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Maybe hard to believe, but my i3-derived MINI is actually around the same weight as the newer i3s. And it has 205s all around...so way more rubber than the i3. All the numbers I've seen say the MINI SE is 3150 lbs and nearly a 1-inch lower center of gravity than a Cooper S.
The i3s has a curb weight of 3,040 lbs and same ground clearance as a Cooper S. Less weight though so more speed and faster rated 0-30 and 0-60. It feels much faster because the car is so damn light. The mini has the same drivetrain but a completely different body. The i3s has the body of the i8 supercar (and actually has a faster 0-30 time). Before the introduction of the i4, the i3s bev was the fastest 0-30 time of any production BMW.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I really enjoy switching between mine (3P, YP, and maybe once a month I take my Cayman out). I'm more relaxed in the Rivian, because you just don't have the same center of gravity to get away with the (terrible) things you can do in a fast car. And it's just too fun to drive like an idiot..

I do wish there was a sportier throttle mapping in the Rivian though instead of having to give so much input to get it moving. I love my Rivian but I think the Y is a really good balance of power/driving feel/massive storage. I have my issues with Tesla QC but it's a really solid car overall.
How’s your y compare to 3? I’ve heard they’re notionally rougher ride?

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
How’s your y compare to 3? I’ve heard they’re notionally rougher ride?
Y is for sure less smooth than the 3, but 3 is far off from a Camry as well. For me a harsher ride is a good trade off for better body control - I know you don't have to make that trade-off, but then you're usually in much more expensive suspension territory. I don't mind it at all though. If you're used to 'sportier' cars then it's totally normal IMO.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
There are so many variables here.

What you are used to driving, what you are looking for, etc.

Honestly the only real way to be sure is to find a way to get behind the wheel of a R1T. Otherwise you won't know until yours gets delivered. You do have a 7 day return policy so if you end up not liking it you could always return it or sell it for a possible profit.

I wouldn't stress too much about it, you have options.
Kind of like Movie Reviews I guess. If HED thinks the Raptor feels more nimble than the R1T that’s his flavor and I get that. But I’m in the opposite camp. Having driven a Raptor and owning a 21 F150 5.0 I’d say that my R1T drives like a Corvette in comparison. The R1T feels very solid and cornering is amazing given it’s weight. It does a very good job of concealing it’s 7,000lb curb weight in my opinion. I’ve owned several sport trucks and the R1T is fast, stops well has well controlled body roll, corner’s faster than it should… But it’s a bit more boring to drive imho. almost no noise, no shifts and because it requires very little drivers input. Partially because has very responsive steering throttle and braking. For a truck I don’t think anything else currently comes close.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Kind of like Movie Reviews I guess. If HED thinks the Raptor feels more nimble than the R1T that’s his flavor and I get that. But I’m in the opposite camp. Having driven a Raptor and owning a 21 F150 5.0 I’d say that my R1T drives like a Corvette in comparison. The R1T feels very solid and cornering is amazing given it’s weight. It does a very good job of concealing it’s 7,000lb curb weight in my opinion. I’ve owned several sport trucks and the R1T is fast, stops well has well controlled body roll, corner’s faster than it should… But it’s a bit more boring to drive imho. almost no noise, no shifts and because it requires very little drivers input. Partially because has very responsive steering throttle and braking. For a truck I don’t think anything else currently comes close.
Actually I didn't mean to suggest the raptor is more nimble. I just felt it was easier to use. The caveat I gave about needing more seat time and familiarity was genuine.

In fact, after more seat time I've started to appreciate the Rivian all that much more. It definitely is a solid vehicle. My friends and family all love it. When I was critiquing the R1T I was waffling on whether to keep or sell it. At this point it's staying :)

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I had been driving my Model S before my Rivian R1T First Mile, so that is where my mind was in doing the comparison.

Over the weekend I've been driving my 2020 Navigator L -- about the same length, lighter (but only by 15 - 20%). My first reaction was the "R1T does NOT drive like a truck." For the full size SUVs, there is less precise steering, less performance (even with the same engine and transmission as the Raptor), ICE (coasting, transition time from acceleration to braking) v. EV driveline and much more body roll and other movement. The R1T is a very different experience.

I've had a Suburban, Escalade, Yukon or Navigator of one kind or another for the last 30 years. They are familiar and comfortable, with their limitations well understood. The Rivian will be as much a change from them as my Model S was from Audi / Cadillac / Lexus sedans.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am seeing a lot of EV drivers driving recklessly lately. Most here are probably driving responsibly as they are car enthusiasts. I am glad the Rivian has some lag because I don't plan to do any spirited driving. Most of my cars have been performance cars but I save that for the track. I get my jollies on the track. Not sure what the 0-60 achieves on the street accept possible injury.

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I am seeing a lot of EV drivers driving recklessly lately. Most here are probably driving responsibly as they are car enthusiasts. I am glad the Rivian has some lag because I don't plan to do any spirited driving. Most of my cars have been performance cars but I save that for the track. I get my jollies on the track. Not sure what the 0-60 achieves on the street accept possible injury.
I drive like a grandpa typically. I couldn't help but hit 100 in the Rivian on my test drive. The lag will definitely make things smoother though. Wouldn't want the mapping too touchy like the Tesla.

jackk0807

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MSLR, 22R1T, 21 G-wagon
I had the same feeling (not instant speed when taking off) when I did the test drive last week. Kind of like polestar 2 take off. Interior is so much better than M3/Y, same level as new S/X. I am thinking about trading in my S/Y if I get my r1t this Nov.

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I had the same feeling (not instant speed when taking off) when I did the test drive last week. Kind of like polestar 2 take off. Interior is so much better than M3/Y, same level as new S/X. I am thinking about trading in my S/Y if I get my r1t this Nov.
Same, quality was night and day better than my 3.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Judgmental a little, but I drive while shaving and having a 3 course breakfast too. The track guys I know are among the best and safest drivers on the road. And I can’t think a single one doesn’t perform a spirited 0-60 on the street occasionally when conditions permit.
Sponsored