Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
F*%K!!

Well that sucks. I will need to see some updated pics then. I really thought I followed this stuff, but I missed this. I feel like a failure.
Just edited post with pic.
Sponsored

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
No, the RJ video is an old design and it's now much different.

1652382725609.png
Ahh thank you. I can live with that. I know from experience that a small lip lke that can be a huge pain when trying to load big things, but overall that is pretty good for moving lots of stuff.

You really saved the day with that pic.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Ahh thank you. I can live with that. I know from experience that a small lip lke that can be a huge pain when trying to load big things, but overall that is pretty good for moving lots of stuff.

The biggest pain, pun not intended, is when you want to sleep back there camping. A mattress would even it out some, but not entirely. For disclosure, this was on Rivian Stories and is reported to be a "production" version, but no way to really verify.

The accessory rails could be interesting. That's likely the mechanism for the future camp kitchen, which would have some sort of platform that could then slide it out the rear.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Skynote mentioned that he thought the cargo loadfloor could move to different positions, so it could still be flat. The manual is not overly helpful.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I am not going back to re-read this whole thread, but I know there was at least one comment about the clunky nature of the way the folded seats look in this picture. I agree it's kind of a mess.

The positive is that it shows that the driver's side 2nd row and the middle appear to be on tracks 60/40 disconnected from the passenger side. There is a larger gap between the 2nd and 3rd rows on the left vs. the right in the image.

This thread had done a deep dive on the 3rd row entry with the tilt/slide function (not idea for car seats), but it seems like this indicates the seats are adjustable on those tracks for seating independently so that 3rd row legroom can be increased/decreased on either side as needed. I call that a small win over a fixed 2nd row.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) 1652382725609

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Skynote mentioned that he thought the cargo loadfloor could move to different positions, so it could still be flat. The manual is not overly helpful.
I seriously doubt it, because the cargo floor hinges back there at that rise, so I don't see how that end could also raise up to make it flush. If this is final production, it is what it is I'm afraid. Hard to tell, but hopefully when sleeping head in, your butt would be past that ridge so only legs carried over it, which wouldn't be as bad I think.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I seriously doubt it, because the cargo floor hinges back there at that rise, so I don't see how that end could also raise up to make it flush. If this is final production, it is what it is I'm afraid. Hard to tell, but hopefully when sleeping head in, your butt would be past that ridge so only legs carried over it, which wouldn't be as bad I think.
I'm not sure there's a hinge on the cargo floor. I assume it's essentially just a carpeted board.

There's definitely a ridge of some sort sticking out of vertical piece, and I can't think of any reason for that other than something to hold a board on. Maybe there's another reason for it, but Skyler's theory is pretty sound for my eyes (that's a fun mixed metaphor).

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I took some more time looking at that interior picture and I have some observations / questions.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) CE1E96BC-4FD4-4E77-B879-369546933C19

There appear to be two buttons at the blue arrow. What do they do? Lock and unlock, seat back release / fold, rear suspension raise and lower, or something else? There also appears to be a sliding or flip-open cover in front of the buttons. I say that because of the ridge on the portion which appears easy to grab. Possibly more buttons are behind that. The convenience air compressor appears to be behind the large cover below the louvers closer to the floor.

Speaking of louvers, the red arrow points to what appears to be a louvered opening. I’m pretty sure that is for the 3rd row vents in the C pillar. I wonder if that will be controllable from the main screen, tied to the second row screen, or simply follow one of the two side-by-side zones.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
CE1E96BC-4FD4-4E77-B879-369546933C19.jpeg

There appear to be two buttons at the blue arrow. What do they do? Lock and unlock, seat back release / fold, rear suspension raise and lower, or something else?
I believe those are the two 120V outlets.

Edit: Looks right according to the diagram:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 4.01.31 PM

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Notice in the newer pic the load floor behind the 3rd row is flat and level with the cargo bars. In the slightly older pic, the load floor was at an angle providing a flat (but not level) surface from the folded second row seats all the way back. @skyote might be on to something with his suggestion of an adjustable load floor. But since the manual doesn't address, we'll just have to wait until one of us can get hands on. Either way, I still wish a 2-row 5-seat config were an option but I think I can make this work one way or another.

newer pic:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) 1652382725609-

older pic:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) fhemkjnveai-tbl-jpe

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I believe those are the two 120V outlets.

Edit: Looks right according to the diagram:
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 4.01.31 PM.png
Thanks for pointing that out! 2 x 120V outlets makes total sense based upon the manual. Maybe the 12V is behind what I think is a cover. If so it seems like an awfully large cover for a single 12V outlet.

I’m really looking forward to seeing a video showing everything about the 2nd row through the tailgate. Like, EVERYTHING.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Thanks for pointing that out! 2 x 120V outlets makes total sense based upon the manual. Maybe the 12V is behind what I think is a cover. If so it seems like an awfully large cover for a single 12V outlet.

I’m really looking forward to seeing a video showing everything about the 2nd row through the tailgate. Like, EVERYTHING.
Yeah, weird I don't see the 12V right there. I'm pretty sure the large cover is for the air compressor. Which probably also explains the vent right below it—it's possibly a vent for the air compressor motor.

Agreed with a proper video and some walk-throughs whenever someone actually gets their hands on a production R1S.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Notice in the newer pic the load floor behind the 3rd row is flat and level with the cargo bars. In the slightly older pic, the load floor was at an angle providing a flat (but not level) surface from the folded second row seats all the way back. @skyote might be on to something with his suggestion of an adjustable load floor. But since the manual doesn't address, we'll just have to wait until one of us can get hands on. Either way, I still wish a 2-row 5-seat config were an option but I think I can make this work one way or another.

newer pic:
1652382725609-png.png

older pic:
fhemkjnveai-tbl-jpeg.jpg
I would agree with @skyote that the floor will be adjustable in order to maximize cargo space when needed, and a flat (not level) front to back floor for when car camping or large loads. The Model Y does something similar. This video shows the Model Y in both configurations. Max cargo, flat floor. I saw the Model Y in person last year, and it worked very well.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah, weird I don't see the 12V right there. I'm pretty sure the large cover is for the air compressor. Which probably also explains the vent right below it—it's possibly a vent for the air compressor motor.

Agreed with a proper video and some walk-throughs whenever someone actually gets their hands on a production R1S.
The big cover below the louvers looks to me like a good match for the compressor cover size and shape in the R1T. Since manufacturers often use the same part whenever possible to reduce costs, that would be my best guess but with the info present it is only a guess.

I’m slightly more confident that the louvers are for HVAC since it looks like the same kind of setup other manufacturers use for rear HVAC. There doesn’t seem to be any way of supplying the C-pillar vents from the front. Also, the R1T compressor has no visible venting so I doubt the R1S convenience compressor would need that much venting.

Ultimately: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ until we have hands-on videos or reviews. A revised R1S manual with more detail would help, too. We know there is a convenience air compressor back there but I didn’t see it in the manual. I suspect other detail is missing, too.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The louvered area could also be the subwoofer.
Sponsored