Cybertruck photo leaked! ?

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Are you not counting the Plaid+ as a canceled delivery of an announced product?

They also cannot get credit for CT, Roadster 2, semi, or FSD until they are actually delivered. At this point they are not, does not mean they will not be but until they are….
Yeah I forgot about Plaid+. That definitely goes on the dead list. On the CT/Roadster/Semi I was only noting that they are still moving forward to deliver them.

Re FSD, I literally drive on it every day and get updates about once a month. Not delivered yet in any commercially meaningful way, but they have it out in the streets and have been working relentlessly to perfect it.
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Only speaking for myself, I include all products that Musk talks about into one big basket (because he is such a prolific shitposter), and there are definitely plenty of brilliant ones. But there are also quite a few misses as well. The tunnels are idiotic. Hyperloop was also his idea. And it remains to be seen what will happen with the silly robot or his brain implant, But it’s not looking good…. Not going well for the solar roof tiles either.

Tesla is still a young company compared to the legacy manufacturers. In the beginning most of their products were hits as well. Over time they all had designs that face planted and Tesla will have some of those too as time goes on. I could be totally wrong but CT could be their first failure as a car manufacturer.
Yes, I am going to distinguish between MUSK and Tesla. IMO the Tesla Team has delivered a phenomenal amount. Musk has some wild-assed stuff that goes nowhere.

I agree that CT may be a face plant. (BTW, it is a Franz design not a Musk design.) It reminds me of the H1 Hummer which had huge marketing buzz and enthusiasm with people clamoring to bring it to the civilian market after the first Gulf War. But when it finally arrived it was too utilitarian, too unwieldy, and too weird. GM ended up turning it into a Chevy Suburban with the H2 and then a Tahoe with the H3. It never really sold. (Or the new Thunderbird, or the Plymouth Prowler. Super-hyped, long waiting lists, huge duds.)

OTOH, I could see the CT becoming the police cruiser of choice.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Just that the Rivian fan crowd likes to hate on Tesla and I am sure vice versa.

Is this not obvious?
There's no beef. We're all in this together.

Last edited:

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Yes, I am going to distinguish between MUSK and Tesla. IMO the Tesla Team has delivered a phenomenal amount. Musk has some wild-assed stuff that goes nowhere.

I agree that CT may be a face plant. (BTW, it is a Franz design not a Musk design.) It reminds me of the H1 Hummer which had huge marketing buzz and enthusiasm with people clamoring to bring it to the civilian market after the first Gulf War. But when it finally arrived it was too utilitarian, too unwieldy, and too weird. GM ended up turning it into a Chevy Suburban with the H2 and then a Tahoe with the H3. It never really sold. (Or the new Thunderbird, or the Plymouth Prowler. Super-hyped, long waiting lists, huge duds.)

OTOH, I could see the CT becoming the police cruiser of choice.
Is that all Musk has "delivered"? i.e. "some wild-assed stuff that goes nowhere"

Seems like a bit of a trivialization of a persons contributions to basically the mainstreaming of the EV concept...no?

Folks do understand that the shape and style of the CT is based on the supposed "savings" of stamping 3D steel vs. 2D shapes.

Sponsored

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
They have already modified the truck proportions twice on the concept. That original size is not going to market. They still don’t have a validated interior or exterior design nor any actual pricing. They have just recently realized that they have to slap a massive windshield wiper on the thing because they failed to anticipate that might be needed.

They had a massive party last week called the “cyber rodeo” and all they could do was drive the concept on stage again and say we plan to start production “sometime next year”. They said the same thing in 2019, 2021 and now 2022. It’s always - next year.

Tesla has a long history of announcing things they don’t follow through on unless it’s to get attention or to get funding (private or government grants). The cyber truck may be another on that list (battery swap stations, solar roof tiles, robotaxis, personal robots, etc).

I guess I have to throw the question back to you - What have they done so far that makes you so confident that they are going to have a cyber truck in customer hands next year?
The truck proportion modifications were due to DOT restrictions, but sure. The pricing is not hard to understand. We put prices on something for approximately 1 week to clients as it stands. We can't even bid projects that are 6 months out and issue price. Not sure how that is a Tesla issue.

Maybe they could issue price and have folks sign up, then change prices?

Engineers classically over-promise and under-deliver. When I put a deposit on my Rivian in very early 2019...I was "led" to believe that I would have it sometime in 2020 (end of). Now I can't even be told if I will get it in 2022.

They are producing solar roofs. The battery swap vs. charge is the result of supercharging stations being a more feasible and reasonable option.

We are in a highly evolving and ever changing marketplace when it comes to EV. As the battery gets better, so will the necessity of technology change as well.

Just pointing out the obvious is making me sound like a Tesla apologist...which I am in NO WAY. I have deposits on CTs as well as the Rivian. I would have put a deposit on the Ford Lightning if they didn't close the window too.

With regards to any confidence...I have none. That said, I have no indication that they are NOT going to build it either. They are, basically, the entity that revolutionized, mainstreamed, and kind of created the EV market. They have a rabid and fiercely loyal consumer base and their "Engineer in Chief" is kind of a genius...the good and bad that comes with that...

But lets not get it twisted that they were told they would never succeed or bring a car to market. The big US auto manufacturers laughed in his face and tried to thwart his efforts at every turn...yet here they are. That certainly has to be worth something.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

^ yeah, it's not Elon's name but employees and Tesla, inc on the patent. But it's pretty common to use 'Elon' in place of 'Tesla'.
I only use Elon in place of Tesla when it's something that could be portrayed negatively against the company.
We really never know who came up with what at Tesla, but we know who filed the patent.
Don't know how it works at Tesla, but my ex father-in-law worked at Ford, and has his names on some of their patents, and he came up with the designs. I'd find it unusual if Tesla didn't give specific credit to their employees.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Back to the CT itself, it would go down as one of the largest failures ever (in automotive history) if the CT project was somehow scraped at this point with only a handful of prototypes produced. Tesla has invested 100's of millions in the CT design and another $1billion+ in the factory that is supposed to produce it. Yes, GT plant is currently pumping out Model Y's but it's original intent was to produce CT's.

I believe if the new tabless cells were available in quantity right now, we'd probably have production model CT's being road tested as we speak. But, no cells, no CT (or Roadster2 or Plaid +).

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
IF the Cybertruck ever goes into production it's going to be a full size pickup segment disruptor. I have hedged my bets by placing early reservations on a R1T, Lightning and multiple Cybertrucks.

For rust belt residents the benefits of a 3mm thick (roughly 2 quarters stacked together) stainless steel exterior are too big to ignore. The vehicle will laugh at municipal salt trucks during the winter months. Owners can also forget paint touch up's, swirls, fading, waxing, etc.

The truck could be passed down through generations and eventually the exoskeleton can be recycled into SS kitchen equipment, refrigerators, sinks, etc.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Is that all Musk has "delivered"? i.e. "some wild-assed stuff that goes nowhere"
Apologies if you read this that way. My point was that Tesla - the entire team led and shaped by Musk - has delivered phenomenal things. Tesla would be an asterisk in the history books if not for Musk's personal commitment, drive, and financial backing. OTOH Musk himself sometimes pursues some wacky things (and some brilliant things like SpaceX). The earlier post lumps together all of this under the Tesla banner.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
IF the Cybertruck ever goes into production it's going to be a full size pickup segment disruptor. I have hedged my bets by placing early reservations on a R1T, Lightning and multiple Cybertrucks.

For rust belt residents the benefits of a 3mm thick (roughly 2 quarters stacked together) stainless steel exterior are too big to ignore. The vehicle will laugh at municipal salt trucks during the winter months. Owners can also forget paint touch up's, swirls, fading, waxing, etc.

The truck could be passed down through generations and eventually the exoskeleton can be recycled into SS kitchen equipment, refrigerators, sinks, etc.
Having owned many "stainless" steel dive knives, I don't have nearly the confidence you do about the ability to withstand salt...

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Having owned many "stainless" steel dive knives, I don't have nearly the confidence you do about the ability to withstand salt...
My understanding is that it was still to be cleared. But maybe I heard that wrong.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Apologies if you read this that way. My point was that Tesla - the entire team led and shaped by Musk - has delivered phenomenal things. Tesla would be an asterisk in the history books if not for Musk's personal commitment, drive, and financial backing. OTOH Musk himself sometimes pursues some wacky things (and some brilliant things like SpaceX). The earlier post lumps together all of this under the Tesla banner.
I agree with that. Elon is clearly on the spectrum and people that are brilliant usually have some outliers.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's stain less not stain proof.
Sponsored