• No, I'll wait for the cheaper or the 180KWh version

• No way!, I'm so dissapointed that I'm canceling my pre-order

Results are only viewable after voting.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Excited......Exactly what I wanted, if I don't have to choose the Launch Green. Nice color, but not for me. Another condition is if I can get the vehicle before the Ford 150 electric becomes available. I'll buy whichever I can get first. I put my deposit down Feb 19, 2019 for the Rivian. I'm at the age where waiting is no longer an option for me. It's now or possibly not at all. As far as the range goes, I never drive over 240 miles in a day, with the exception of 3 times a year. Even now I rent a vehicle when I go on longer trips, so I would continue to do the same.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Ummm. You raise a good point about the amount of sand remaining in the glass. Based on that I might consider the 300 mi version. But I'm certainly not happy about it. Could trade it in on the CT I suppose.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I'm another guy with sand running out. I don't honestly know if this makes me more or less inclined to jump on the Rivian bandwagon. I like the set-up: four motors, air suspension, hydraulic cross-link, full undercarriage coverage, sensible, utilitarian design, and so on. But I do need it? No. Do I drive a lot? Not any more.

@adelange, are you thinking R1T or R1S? If the latter, it ought to go farther than the R1T given its shape and perhaps size. So, if the R1T has 325 mile, maybe the R1S is more like 340? Maybe just enough to offset some, but not all, of your range concerns.

In general, I'm not upset with the new information. I was always going for the 135 kWh version because it was lighter than the 180 kWh version and probably enough for 95% of my trips. (I could probably get to LA, if I drove carefully, but since I never make the trip without stopping along the way, 135 kWh would be enough.)

My biggest concern is "why do it?" I have a Prius that gets 47 mpg and a 4WD Toyota Tacoma, long bed. Both work well, both paid for, lowish mileage on both, one is efficient and the other utilitarian. There's not much upside to the Rivian, aside from being a much nicer, better handling vehicle and combining efficiency and utility in one vehicle. But is that worth a $30-40K upgrade? (Trade-in value plus tax credits versus purchase cost.)

And that's very subjective. What it's worth to me isn't worth it to you. So I'll configure, come Monday, but whether or not I'll close the deal is really up in the air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm another guy with sand running out. I don't honestly know if this makes me more or less inclined to jump on the Rivian bandwagon. I like the set-up: four motors, air suspension, hydraulic cross-link, full undercarriage coverage, sensible, utilitarian design, and so on. But I do need it? No. Do I drive a lot? Not any more.

@adelange, are you thinking R1T or R1S? If the latter, it ought to go farther than the R1T given its shape and perhaps size. So, if the R1T has 325 mile, maybe the R1S is more like 340? Maybe just enough to offset some, but not all, of your range concerns.

In general, I'm not upset with the new information. I was always going for the 135 kWh version because it was lighter than the 180 kWh version and probably enough for 95% of my trips. (I could probably get to LA, if I drove carefully, but since I never make the trip without stopping along the way, 135 kWh would be enough.)

My biggest concern is "why do it?" I have a Prius that gets 47 mpg and a 4WD Toyota Tacoma, long bed. Both work well, both paid for, lowish mileage on both, one is efficient and the other utilitarian. There's not much upside to the Rivian, aside from being a much nicer, better handling vehicle and combining efficiency and utility in one vehicle. But is that worth a $30-40K upgrade? (Trade-in value plus tax credits versus purchase cost.)

And that's very subjective. What's it worth to me isn't worth it to you. So I'll configure, come Monday, but whether or not I'll close the deal is really up in the air.
Lol don't get your wife sit next to you while you are looking at the options, or you'll def close the deal

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I’m still very excited, for the price there’s nothing else on the market like this. We have some coming out in a few years, but nothing this nice and for this performance. The 135 kW is perfect for me, luxurious interior looks super nice and well put together, and the off-road capability is a killer feature for me. The Hummer is super nice too, but way too expensive for what you get. The Cybertruck looks like crap to me to put it bluntly, just a hideous exterior and build quality will probably be terrible based on their other cars. I’ll be interested to see what the electric Ford F150 will look like in terms of price and performance, but I can’t see it getting this amount of range and performance, so there will probably be a trade off.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Rivian might have 50k preorders by now. Not sure anybody needs to worry about tax-rebates expiring before your long-time preorder-holder 180KWh trucks get done in possibly 1st quarter 2022 at the latest.

Reactions: Rad

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rivian might have 50k preorders by now. Not sure anybody needs to worry about tax-rebates expiring before your long-time preorder-holder 180KWh trucks get done in possibly 1st quarter 2022 at the latest.
Yeah it doesn’t kick in until 200,000 units anyways, also they might be expanded for certain incomes

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I was thinking about the R1T because of 1)range and 2)earliest delivery. Not sure what I am thinking now. As for range I don't have "range anxiety" in the sense I did when I got my first BEV. I lived quite comfortably withe 294 mi range then and can doubtless live with 300 now. Of course that was with the Tesla SC network. No doubt that I like the extra 56 miles range of the new X though. So the big question is do I want to go backwards in vehicle capability because I think the R1T is a nice looking truck?

And that's very subjective. What it's worth to me isn't worth it to you. So I'll configure, come Monday, but whether or not I'll close the deal is really up in the air.
Yes, me too, I guess.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah it doesn’t kick in until 200,000 units anyways, also they might be expanded for certain incomes
Did we ever determine if the Amazon delivery vans count against that total?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Did we ever determine if the Amazon delivery vans count against that total?
If the van is eligible for the credit (I don't see why it wouldn't be), then they absolutely would count.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If the van is eligible for the credit (I don't see why it wouldn't be), then they absolutely would count.
That's my expectation but looking for actual confirmation.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's my expectation but looking for actual confirmation.
That is a good question, I’m not entirely sure. But like I said earlier that may be going away

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Are you excited or dissapointed?

I think it is that I have been so excited for a year now, that maybe any reality would have fallen below my hopes and expectations.

I'm thinking I'll still get a launch edition, exactly what I want or not. For a while (one year, two?), there is simply no alternative.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If they get classified as "light trucks", then yes (up to 8500 GVW and payload up to 400 lbs). It is likely that at least some configurations of the vans will fall in this category, but possible some may not.

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
Beyond that it would seem that the difference between a 300 mile truck and a 400 mile truck should be a simple matter of 33% more battery modules. Were that the case both ranges could be released at the same time. It would be the usual case that the higher dollar model is released first because a premium can be charged for it and this becomes a source of funding for factory expansion. So evidently there is more to it than 33% more battery. The batteries they intend to use may not perform as well as anticipated, the BMS may not be able to handle 33% more cells, there may be a problem with getting (from suppliers) 33% more cells. None of these prospects is very pleasing to think about.
I agree about being nervous about the batteries. There is something wrong here. They couldn't even put together a full 135 battery pack for Rebelle....
Sponsored