Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have to have the 180 kWh pack to meet my minimum requirements. I would prefer a 500 mile battery due to living in a charging desert and a somewhat cold climate. My adventures typically are about 350 miles round trip (including side trips) and there is currently only ONE L2 (not CCS) charger on any of the routes I take. Its really a reach with the 180 kWh pack.
Got to get more chargers for you ASAP. Empathy here.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Me, and I can assure you I am of sound mind. I can afford the 180, but have wanted the 135 since the beginning after rationalizing. This is for 2 main reasons:

1) 135 is plenty for 98% of my usage. Also, looking at the negligible time differences in even longer road trips that some members here have posted, I'm now 100% confident that the 135 pack is plenty with current charging infrastructure (and that will only improve in the coming years).

2) I do plan to take my Rivian off road, and will encounter both mud & sand. From many years of off road experience, I know how much difference even a couple hundred pounds of extra weight can make. I don't want that extra battery weight in soft surface conditions, or even climbs/descents.
Good thoughts, helpful for one who had not considered the battery weight trade off. Thanks.