Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
It’s quickly becoming apparent that without CarPlay being able to safely see my cell phone for nav/traffic apps, stored music, streaming, etc. is going to be very important. Vent clips are a nonstarter due to vent design and automatic movement. I don’t want to do anything that would permanently damage the dashboard.
Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

How about using a MagBak case on your iPhone with the magnet mounted using CommandStrip. It uses a tiny magnet and I like the CommandStrip because you can make it fit different contours using multiple strips.

https://magbak.com/

That is what I use in my car now, and I was planning on mounting it on the left side of the dash on my R1S

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Thanks! I have a magsafe case and I’ll take a look At Magbak. The left side of the dash is a good spot. I wish they‘d put some 12v or USB power outlets here and there .

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Just know that the MagSafe case isn’t the same as MagBak since MagBak has different magnets inside. Although, it is compatible with MagSafe charging. So, I had to buy the MagBak case for mounting but it is solid and doesn’t fall off my dash. The case is $55

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just know that the MagSafe case isn’t the same as MagBak since MagBak has different magnets inside. Although, it is compatible with MagSafe charging. So, I had to buy the MagBak case for mounting but it is solid and doesn’t fall off my dash. The case is $55
Yep. I did take a look at the website. Thanks again!

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Based on my Model Y experience prefer the phone belongs above/left of the main screen. I can't help you with how to mount it in that location in a R1T. But I've tried many location and this for me is by far the most useful. What I hope to replicate:

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? ima

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Based on my Model Y experience prefer the phone belongs above/left of the main screen. I can't help you with how to mount it in that location in a R1T. But I've tried many location and this for me is by far the most useful. What I hope to replicate:

image.jpeg

What mounting rig is this and where did you get it?

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

image.jpeg
That’s a great spot and would also allow use of the 12v outlet below.

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Here is my customized phone mount. Found a flat rubberized plate of which I bent into an "L" shape and wedged it between the top dash panel. Superglued the mag charger onto it and ran the wire down to the 12v adapter socket
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_1089

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
It's on amazon:

Topfit Car Cellphone Mount for Tesla Model 3 Model Y

I will want to place the phone someplace similiar on the R1T. To be clear there is no chance this mount will fit Rivian

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Here is my customized phone mount. Found a flat rubberized plate of which I bent into an "L" shape and wedged it between the top dash panel. Superglued the mag charger onto it and ran the wire down to the 12v adapter socket
IMG_1089.jpg
Looks great! Can you post information about the components? TIA!

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Looks great! Can you post information about the components? TIA!
The charger I ordered on Amazon. Superglue is superglue. The mount was just a piece I found in the garage. I wish I knew where or what it was for originally. My other option would have been to get a aluminum or steel plate from Home Depot and bend it in the same orientation.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Ugh, why does Rivian think this is okay? Maybe I'm weird (okay, yes, I know I am) but if I ran a car company I'd be pissed seeing stuff like this. I would take it as a personal failure to have pushed customers to this point.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How about using a MagBak case on your iPhone with the magnet mounted using CommandStrip. It uses a tiny magnet and I like the CommandStrip because you can make it fit different contours using multiple strips.
I can't get command strips to hold lightweight items in stationary locations. I can't imagine trusting a $1k+ electronic device in a moving/bouncing vehicle.