First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No. I'm saying that what Tesla reports to the IC trip meter is not entirely accurate or reflective of the actual energy consumption.
That was my second hypothesis - that they are not measuring the quantities properly but you seem to be suggesting that they are distorting them somehow.

Again, the numbers "directly from the car" are only valid if you're getting them from the CAN bus.
The displays are obviously updated from the same computer to which "the" CAN bus is connected (there are several) and so have access to the same data. Again you are implying that Tesla is somehow distorting this data before displaying it. I grant you it is rounded but beyond that I am going to call BS.

Rated miles on your X are 351. Rated EPA consumption shows up on the trip chart as a dotted line and is published elsewhere.
Actually it is more like 282 - 283 but it's hard to read from the screen though I am most grateful that you mentioned that as I never thought to get it from there. Anyway I would be even more grateful if you could tell me where the number is published. Using 282.5 ± 3 Wh/mi for the rated consumption and 351 rated miles the battery's discharge capacity would be 98.98 ± 1 kWh. Given that lithium batteries have 95% round trip efficiency it would take about 104.1 ± 1 kW at its input terminals to get it charged to 351 miles.

Yes, I'm aware they've changed that, but it seems that the pack is the same as the 100D. The Ravens just have a more efficient drive.

It strikes me that you're trying to calculate something that's already been determined, but through multiple layers of abstraction instead.
Actually not at all. My intention was to point out that the manufacturers have a lot of wiggle room with respect to how they specify performance and that give this I wondered how they would respond to Lucid's announcement. Then the usual pot stirrers jumped in and started stirring the pot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
My intention was to point out that the manufacturers have a lot of wiggle room with respect to how they specify performance and that give this I wondered how they would respond to Lucid's announcement.
The EPA tests are very specific with no absolutely no wiggle room at all, and this discussion was all about the EPA range Lucid is claiming they will achieve. If there is wiggle room in the EPA certification testing, could you point it out?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
The displays are obviously updated from the same computer to which "the" CAN bus is connected (there are several) and so have access to the same data. Again you are implying that Tesla is somehow distorting this data before displaying it. I grant you it is rounded but beyond that I am going to call BS.
The display only reflects consumption when the vehicle is moving. It doesn't account for HVAC and other draw at a stop. The API only provides odometer, power (momentary), and reported range, so TeslaFi has to calculate from those figures. TeslaFi's website details this, if you care.

That's the summary of why it's not entirely "accurate." It's not nefarious, it's just not an ideal way to try to back out your pack capacity. Again, this has all bee hashed out in a much more technical and deeper way, so any more interest you have in the subject can be easily researched and answered, including the dropping of cell voltages in "batterygate", etc.

We do agree that if consumers are buying on pack size, they are possibly not buying on the correct metric. Most consumers are more concerned with range, though I recognize there are other concerns as well. I'm interested in how the BMS manages the pack to limit degradation. I'm also hopeful that the pack is capable of sustained high output for times when I'm towing a heavy camper up a long pass. My X has handled it well; will Rivian? Those are bigger concerns to me than whether my pack is 180kWh or 177.4kWh. Recognizing that it's my own personal preference and not necessarily anyone else's.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm interested in how the BMS manages the pack to limit degradation. I'm also hopeful that the pack is capable of sustained high output for times when I'm towing a heavy camper up a long pass.

Starts at 1:11 where RJ talks about the BMS. Only time will tell on the overall effectiveness of the system, but the fact that they are addressing the pack's "happiness" is a good sign.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Starts at 1:11 where RJ talks about the BMS. Only time will tell on the overall effectiveness of the system, but the fact that they are addressing the pack's "happiness" is a good sign.
That was a good rewatch. They definitely seem to be hinting at advanced BMS tech across all types of driving & climate scenarios, and even beyond vehicle applications.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
That was a good rewatch. They definitely seem to be hinting at advanced BMS tech across all types of driving & climate scenarios, and even beyond vehicle applications.
We def need new videos, I just keep rewatching the old ones to see if i missed any info .

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
We def need new videos, I just keep rewatching the old ones to see if i missed any info .
I'm thinking/hoping that we should get tomorrow. If not, we should get something on or near the Lucid event. Also, don't forget the upcoming long way up.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Damn I wish Rivian had more teaser videos. Making me wanna look into lucid a little more now.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Does anyone have figures on different levels of trim and there prices?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Does anyone have figures on different levels of trim and there prices?
The only thing I've seen is that the price will start at 60K. That will prob be for a single motor, not this beast. There are going to have an event on sept 9.

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Lucid will begin production at the start of the year on its "Dream Edition", a highly-optioned dual-motor version of the car. Less expensive versions will come once all the "Dream" reservations are fulfilled. CEO Rawlinson has said the "Dream" will cost "well north" of $100k. Press speculation has run as high as $150k, but nothing for certain will be known until September 9 at the reveal.

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The only thing I've seen is that the price will start at 60K. That will prob be for a single motor, not this beast. There are going to have an event on sept 9.
Lucid has said it will produce only one integrated drive unit for the Air, with the platform being able to accept one, two, or three of these units.

The motor/drive unit has an output of 670 hp and 2950 lb-ft of torque . . . so the single-motor version will be no slouch.

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid Motors SUV Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.33.10 PM
Sponsored