Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
GIS Analyst
Clubs

When I followed up with Lectron on my NACS to J 1772 adapter I was able to confirm there was no UL appproval. Just some sort of review according to supplier. That approval does have value
The UL standard does not exist yet, it is still in the works. Therefore no adapter can meet any UL approval as there is none, that means even Tesla's adapter does not meet UL Approval. For what its worth both A2Z and Lectron have claimed that they are in line with the current specs that the UL is currently working on, but its subject to change as everything is. This thread is about a manufacturing defect (as we know because State of Charge's adapter worked as expected) but just wanted to make that clear.
Sponsored

Last edited:

A2ZEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Tesla MYP, 24' Tesla MSLR
Occupation
A2Z EV | EVSE
Hello,

Regarding some comments above : One of the reasons we test every single adapter is to make sure the locking mechanism is working properly, every adapter is tested in our factory in China and in Montreal, Canada.

Our adapter does not work if unlocked, and if not properly inserted, it won't lock and will not allow charging whatsoever.

Thank you.

- A2Z EV | EVSE

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Based on that number since my VIN is a 2022 in the 14k range, it would take 3+ months for me to get one (14 weeks). Yikes, by that time summer road trip season will be over. I hope it is faster than that.
The post you referenced is from a Ford owner for the Ford adapter and doesn’t apply to Rivians.

I don’t think anyone knows when the Rivian adapters will be sent out, could be next month or next year at this point. But if you took delivery in 2022 I would guess you are closer to the head of the line than the end of the line.

KElkhorn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Expedition, 1973 Scout II
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hello,

Regarding some comments above : One of the reasons we test every single adapter is to make sure the locking mechanism is working properly, every adapter is tested in our factory in China and in Montreal, Canada.

Our adapter does not work if unlocked, and if not properly inserted, it won't lock and will not allow charging whatsoever.

Thank you.

- A2Z EV | EVSE
Thanks for the re-assurance here, one follow up questions: In addition to testing whether lock allows/doesn't allow charging, do you actively test to ensure lock prevents charge cable from being removed?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I would say A2Z likely has a similar issue here. The locking mechanism seems to require the user to engage it vs disengage to remove. I have yet to get the A2Z connector to actually lock, but I have not tried to unplug it while in use, so hopefully I am missing something.
From what I've read, as new, the tolerances are tight (especially if the Tesla plug is dirty or deformed with wear). You really have to shove it in with some authority. Keep a rag handy and wipe the plug clean.

Sponsored

A2ZEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Tesla MYP, 24' Tesla MSLR
Occupation
A2Z EV | EVSE
I would say A2Z likely has a similar issue here. The locking mechanism seems to require the user to engage it vs disengage to remove. I have yet to get the A2Z connector to actually lock, but I have not tried to unplug it while in use, so hopefully I am missing something.

I will say it has been a huge pain to use overall. I have not tried it on the Rivian, but on my F150 Lightning, I find I have to lean into it to hold it in until charging starts. if I do not keep constant pressure, it will end up with a charge fault. I am not sure if it is a device issue, a Ford issue or a Tesla issue. I would believe it is actually a device/Ford issue. I say this because of the many posts I see online referring to Tesla Chargers not working. I have seen several times, a Tesla pull away from a successful charge, then I try on the same device with a fault occurring.

Not at all scientific, but random observation. I can tell you the number of faulty Tesla sessions on my Model Y and Model S combined are less than the total number of issues on my last short roadtrip with my F150 on CCS, and only slightly higher than me trying to use the adapter this weekend at a supercharger.

Definitely not saying the Tesla network is perfect by any means, nor should it be the only solution, but I think the issue may actually be in the handshake with CCS and the tolerance in the port on many of these vehicles as plugs/ports get heavily used.
You can reach out to us by email and we will troubleshoot with you the issues you seem to have, but our locking mechanism is far from having the same issues in terms of safety.

We'll wait for your call (1-844-229-3873) or email ([email protected]).

Thank you.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Hello,

Thank you.

- A2Z EV | EVSE
I will say, even with the A2Z, in 35 charges so far, I always put the adapter on, lock it, then try to pull it off real quick before plugging it in. I have come across a nacs plug that the detent for the lock was so worn it was basically grooved all the way to the edge, so the lock would do nothing. I moved to a different stall on that one.

Also, I NEVER unplug without stopping the charge in the vehicle (or on the pedestal) first unless it's already reached the charge limit (even on L2). Relying on a latch switch on its own is just a recipe for a potential issue imo.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
I had an issue with the A2Z Typhoon adapter at a heavily used Tesla SuperCharger. The first stall I tried I could not engage the Typhoon lock but I tried plugging into my R1T anyway. As I would hope, my R1T threw an error annd refused to charge.

Upon examination I realized the SuperCharger plug was very scuffed up which probably explains why the adapter would not lock into it. Moving over one stall solved the problem since the plug was in much better shape.

In my experience the Typhoon slider lock is very easy to use and a crucial safety mechanism.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have Lectron on order. Glad someone discovered this. Is an easy fix, but will be sure to check mine before using it and return if defective.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

Hello,

Thank you.

- A2Z EV | EVSE
So does the Lectron unit. Manufacturing sometimes =/= Design

Sponsored

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hello,

Thank you.

- A2Z EV | EVSE
And, I personally can confirm this is the case.

Thanks to Amine. They are sending me a replacement adapter because we determined - via a video call - that the adapter lock is not fully closing, and hence not able to charge via Tesla supercharging station. Tried it at two different Tesla sites.

tculpepp

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Per Rivian, the first batch of these adapters should be shipping out next week to the earliest Rivian owners. Yay
Where did I miss that update? Last I saw was just "do you want your free adapter" emails. I didn't know they announced shipping had started.
Sponsored