I've ordered my A2Z on 4/1.
Got my UPS tracking number today.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Since we are now into 2nd week of May....and they maybe have shipped 1000.....it appears it is going to be a really long time for many.....regardless of all the hype the marketing department at Rivian has been doing.
Wow. Guess Rivian will never be able to please some. How can they be terrible at communication and hyping stuff at the same time? Doesn't make sense.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Wow. Guess Rivian will never be able to please some. How can they be terrible at communication and hyping stuff at the same time? Doesn't make sense.
That is a serious over reaction to what I said. I am exceptionally happy with my Rivian and Rivian as a whole. So you jumped to the very wrong conclusion to my point.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That is a serious over reaction to what I said. I am exceptionally happy with my Rivian and Rivian as a whole. So you jumped to the very wrong conclusion to my point.
Yeah I probably did. All the negative stuff on here is just getting to me. Time to step away and take the R1T for a drive. Always cheers me up.

Sponsored

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
This adaptor shall live like all my others: in the frunk under the lift up compartment.

Ranchogulag

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I scanned the QR code in one of the posts and went into the Rivian adapted guide pdf.
11 pages mostly of warnings and legal disclaimers. But it does say don't use a third party adapter.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

This adaptor shall live like all my others: in the frunk under the lift up compartment.
For some reason, my brain keeps thinking this is a new game, “Clue—Who charged the EV?” The butler did it with the A2Z adapter in the frunk under the lift up compartment

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

I scanned the QR code in one of the posts and went into the Rivian adapted guide pdf.
11 pages mostly of warnings and legal disclaimers. But it does say don't use a third party adapter.
Rivian and Tesla are right....don't use a third party adapter. I borrowed one last month for my 4,800 mile trip to see the eclipse. It worked great all the way to TX. A few times there were errors during the charge where I had to redo the charge process. Then on the way from Fort Worth to Amarillo it started having communication issues and would stop charging frequently. It got to the point where it shut off immediately after the handshake. I called Rivian, they said to call Tesla since it's their supercharger. I called Tesla and when they asked if I had the approved adapter, I told them I had A2Z. They said that they don't support third party adapters and I would have to call Rivian to arrange a tow since there were no CCS stations near Vernon or Quanah, TX. There was clearly a communication issue between Tesla and the adapter or Rivian as sometimes it would register the billing through the Tesla app and other times it was rolling over to Rivian for billing. I borrowed a Ford owner's A2Z adapter and got my charge to make it to Amarillo. The adapter continued to fail the next day in Albuquerque. After using the Magic Dock in Moab for a few days I made my way to Salt Lake City and from that point on, the adapter worked flawlessly in UT, NV, and CA.
The build quality of A2Z is superior to the ones issued from Rivian, but if there is a problem, it's not supported.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Rivian and Tesla are right....don't use a third party adapter. I borrowed one last month for my 4,800 mile trip to see the eclipse. It worked great all the way to TX. A few times there were errors during the charge where I had to redo the charge process. Then on the way from Fort Worth to Amarillo it started having communication issues and would stop charging frequently. It got to the point where it shut off immediately after the handshake. I called Rivian, they said to call Tesla since it's their supercharger. I called Tesla and when they asked if I had the approved adapter, I told them I had A2Z. They said that they don't support third party adapters and I would have to call Rivian to arrange a tow since there were no CCS stations near Vernon or Quanah, TX. There was clearly a communication issue between Tesla and the adapter or Rivian as sometimes it would register the billing through the Tesla app and other times it was rolling over to Rivian for billing. I borrowed a Ford owner's A2Z adapter and got my charge to make it to Amarillo. The adapter continued to fail the next day in Albuquerque. After using the Magic Dock in Moab for a few days I made my way to Salt Lake City and from that point on, the adapter worked flawlessly in UT, NV, and CA.
The build quality of A2Z is superior to the ones issued from Rivian, but if there is a problem, it's not supported.
Not to mention....if you damage the Super Charger or your Rivian....be ready to pay for all damages.....

Sponsored

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
I think people are well aware of this possibility at least from the very frequent admonishments and am personally tired of so many repeat warnings to those of us who choose to get a third party adapter.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

@DeanB1452

Hmmm. Was the adapter quite warm to touch? Or, just a wonky Tesla-Rivian interaction that had nothing to do with the adapter itself.
FromA2Z:
How it works :

Basics : The NACS-CCS1 Typhoon Plug is 100% passive and has no electronics. L1 and L2 pins are crossed between the NACS and CCS1 end. NACS' ground goes directly to J1772's ground. NACS' Control Contact pin goes to J1772's Control Contact pin and the same applies to the Control Proximity pins. The adapter is quite straightforward and makes a simple conversion of plugs.

This adapter is simply the opposite of the CCS1 to NACS adapter. The charging station and vehicle are in charge of everything else regarding the charging process.

Temperature sensor : The temperature sensor needs no power. It's a sensor switch connected to PP and PE, when it senses a temperature over 85ºC it switches off and by the same occasion stops communication between PP and PE. The charging process then stops, until it cools down.

One of the many questions that is asked at the moment on the NACS to CCS1 adapter.

Question : He says it is only good to 250-350A, how do they enforce/limit this if they're passive? Superchargers can do over 500A...

Answer : Actually, the vehicle's charge-port and the charging connector are equipped with temperature sensors which are constantly monitored. When the charging station's connector detects a ''high'' temperature on the DC pins, the charging station reduces the charging performance and the vehicle does the same by asking less power. This gives three layers of safety : the adapter, the vehicle and the charging station.

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

@DeanB1452

Hmmm. Was the adapter quite warm to touch? Or, just a wonky Tesla-Rivian interaction that had nothing to do with the adapter itself.
FromA2Z:
How it works :

Basics : The NACS-CCS1 Typhoon Plug is 100% passive and has no electronics. L1 and L2 pins are crossed between the NACS and CCS1 end. NACS' ground goes directly to J1772's ground. NACS' Control Contact pin goes to J1772's Control Contact pin and the same applies to the Control Proximity pins. The adapter is quite straightforward and makes a simple conversion of plugs.

This adapter is simply the opposite of the CCS1 to NACS adapter. The charging station and vehicle are in charge of everything else regarding the charging process.

Temperature sensor : The temperature sensor needs no power. It's a sensor switch connected to PP and PE, when it senses a temperature over 85ºC it switches off and by the same occasion stops communication between PP and PE. The charging process then stops, until it cools down.

One of the many questions that is asked at the moment on the NACS to CCS1 adapter.

Question : He says it is only good to 250-350A, how do they enforce/limit this if they're passive? Superchargers can do over 500A...

Answer : Actually, the vehicle's charge-port and the charging connector are equipped with temperature sensors which are constantly monitored. When the charging station's connector detects a ''high'' temperature on the DC pins, the charging station reduces the charging performance and the vehicle does the same by asking less power. This gives three layers of safety : the adapter, the vehicle and the charging station.
I did all the troubleshooting to try and pinpoint the problem, from different adapters, to different dispensers, and even different cities. It was just a wonky connection issue between my truck and the Tesla Superchargers. I had no issues at EA stations. I had been using one of the A2Z adapters for 6 days prior to the communication errors that came across the displays in the truck. I even changed credit cards and called my credit card company to see if they put any security holds and they said everything looked good on their end. After our stay in Moab, I tried the adapter again and it worked fine the rest of the way home. I'd get an A2Z adapter, if it were supported, but not gonna take that chance and get stranded if there is a communication issue between equipment.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Extremely useful information on this thread. Just ordered my A2Z as I will need it end of June for a trip. Thank you all !!!
I will not hold my breath for the "courtesy one".....but if I ever get it I won't complain.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

@Kidentist I’m definitely going to ask my dentist if she always wanted to be a ‘mouth janitor’ during my next exam.
Sponsored