Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Is this why I have been waiting 6 weeks for my order from them and they have gone radio silent 🧐☹😒
It is possible. They won't provide any information when I follow up on my order.
Sponsored

Dustyshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think Rivian meant buyer that had taken delivery on a specific date and that's the date they prioritize by 🤔
These adapters may come in as batches from the manufacturer(s); they could be 100, 500, or 1000/batch or more, only Rivian/vendor(s) would know for certain. Based on my experiences, it's more cost effective for Rivian to purchase them in large quantities to take advantage of volume discounts and from multiple suppliers to minimize individual manufacturer's production constraints :fingerscrossed:
Based on the ford rollout I think they’re sending out roughly 1000 in each shipping batch. Ford is using the exact same adapter supplied by Tesla that Rivian will be using

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
When I followed up with Lectron on my NACS to J 1772 adapter I was able to confirm there was no UL appproval. Just some sort of review according to supplier. That approval does have value

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Like, how did this get past Quality Control testing? Or this wasn’t tested?
It's unlikely they test every single adapter. The real failure here is not quality control in manufacturing, it's a failure in designing to prevent manufacturing errors. There could have been a simple "keying" arrangement (i.e. tab and slot, etc.) so the latch could only be installed in the proper orientation.

Sponsored

DoubleTake

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
This is funny. Everyone rushing to get an adapter that bought this one because it was an absolute necessity in their eyes now have an additional safety hazard. Patience indeed is a virtue

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Really obvious design flaw. No excuse for missing that.
If I understood correctly this issue is for a certain number of adapters, not all of them.
Probably what happened that in the rush some latches got installed reverse.
And maybe Lectron does not test each individual adapters made but some randomly (normal QA).

What is interesting that if I understood @A2ZEV's posts A2ZEV does test each manufactured unit individually (and that is why they are relatively slow to send out the big amount of orders). This might be a winning difference between Lectron and A2Z adapters.

I based it on this post:

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED: Warning - Safety Defect Found with Lectron NACS Adapter 1713186496110-

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
It's unlikely they test every single adapter. The real failure here is not quality control in manufacturing, it's a failure in designing to prevent manufacturing errors. There could have been a simple "keying" arrangement (i.e. tab and slot, etc.) so the latch could only be installed in the proper orientation.
Poka-yoke in manufacturing lingo.
And I agree this "method" is long established for automotive suppliers.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I understood correctly this issue is for a certain number of adapters, not all of them.
Probably what happened that in the rush some latches got installed reverse.
And maybe Lectron does not test each individual adapters made but some randomly (normal QA).

What is interesting that if I understood @A2ZEV's posts A2ZEV does test each manufactured unit individually (and that is why they are relatively slow to send out the big amount of orders). This might be a winning difference between Lectron and A2Z adapters.

I based it on this post:

1713186496110-nn.png
As a manufacturer, I'd like to mention that 100% testing doesn't matter if your testing routines wouldn't catch a manufacturing error like this.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
As a manufacturer, I'd like to mention that 100% testing doesn't matter if your testing routines wouldn't catch a manufacturing error like this.
That is a very valid point.
In my post I did indeed showed too much trust to A2ZEV with my wording, I realize that now.

In this very specific case if the latch locking mechanism (pull test?) is not tested then of course testing all manufactured unit will not help to catch this specific issue.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Would there be an arc if it wasn't unplugged under load? I would guess just stopping the charging session in your truck, on the dashboard, would stop drawing power, and therefore no arc. I haven't watched the video, so I don't know if people are stopping the charge first and then unplugging, or just unplugging and relying on that to stop the charge.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

That is a very valid point.
In my post I did indeed showed too much trust to A2ZEV with my wording, I realize that now.

In this very specific case if the latch locking mechanism (pull test?) is not tested then of course testing all manufactured unit will not help to catch this specific issue.
Guessing A2Z has sent out high hundreds to thousand? It's been a month and have not seen anything in the forums about an issue. Like a lot of things, people are more likely to post about issues than kudos. Range anxiety and the lack of reliability of non-Tesla networks, to me, is great than the risk of using the A2Z adapter.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Guessing A2Z has sent out high hundreds to thousand? It's been a month and have not seen anything in the forums about an issue. Like a lot of things, people are more likely to post about issues than kudos. Range anxiety and the lack of reliability of non-Tesla networks, to me, is great than the risk of using the A2Z adapter.
It seems like the annoyance of the manual lock on the bottom of the A2Z might actually be a benefit.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Would there be an arc if it wasn't unplugged under load? I would guess just stopping the charging session in your truck, on the dashboard, would stop drawing power, and therefore no arc. I haven't watched the video, so I don't know if people are stopping the charge first and then unplugging, or just unplugging and relying on that to stop the charge.
If the charging session was stopped before unplugging, there would be no arc. If the charging session is not stopped, and it is unplugged quickly, it's possible that the control signal was lost and the charger is shutting down, but it might take 10 to 100 milliseconds (or more?) for the disconnect to be processed in logic and for the power in the charger's DC inverter to dissipate to zero. Maybe just enough lag to arc as the recall seems to indicate.
Sponsored