Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Appreciate the product and effort to make this. Installed this morning, struggled a to get the new box to stay flat with the power cord and to adjust the wireless pad to where I wanted (probably need some sort of tape).

Ended up reinstalling current charging pad.

If anyone wants mine, looking for cost and shipping.

PM me if interested
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG-9751

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer
I was able to install it and it is a notable improvement over the OEM charging pad. I just used a little scotch tape to hold the charging pads where I wanted them. It does take a little fiddling to get all the wires situated so that the two oval shaped supports rest flat but once you get it, it sits flat nicely and supports the OEM insert above just fine. I wouldn't expect this fix to be magical. I have a thin, clear case on my iPhone 13 Pro and installation of this upgrade makes wireless charging "sometimes possible" from "not really possible" with the OEM charger. If I take the case off, it works reliably so I'm thinking it's the camera bump on the case that is creating just too much of a gap. That 1-2MM or whatever it is makes all the difference. My takeaway here is that wireless charging sucks and there needs to be one more aftermarket accessory made to turn this space into a small storage space and the power can be used for a little light or an additional USB-C port or something.

Deleted member 7086

I have the utmost admiration for those who have re-engineered Rivian’s less than acceptable wireless charging pad. However, being able to do that is not part of my skill set. I have an iPhone 12 mini and it’s sweet spot for charging is different from many others . Rather than placing it vertically (front to back) it needs to be placed horizontally (side to side) but not to far from the front of the glove box. Kind of like Goldilocks and her porridge - not to hot not to cold. I made a wood spacer, painted it black and used Velcro to anchor it to the pad underneath the overlap of the glovebox doors which for the most part hide the spacer. Does not solve the problem of the phone sliding around occasionally but at least I don’t need to look down to find the sweet spot anymore.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I've gone full circle on this one. From thinking that the Rivian charging pad was cool, to expecting it not to work, to thinking that after-market mods were a great idea, to just using a usb-c cable running through the cable channel that was intended for this exact purpose...

When I plug in my iphone to the cable, it charges faster than any current wireless standard, the phone doesn't slide around at all, I don't have to remove my case or my magnet wallet thing, and it doesn't look unsightly.

I had a wireless charger on my nightstand a couple years ago and eventually I moved it to the waste bin because it just didn't work well enough to justify the tiny added convenience of not plugging in a cable. But good luck to all who really really want the cleanliness of wireless charging. Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I finally got around to installing mine. I was a bit skeptical given how little magnetic attraction there seemed to be, but after about 2.5 hours of driving (some in a spirited manner on twisty back roads), my phone (iPhone 12 Pro with MagBak case) stayed put and charged just fine the whole time. Charging speeds aren't amazing, but should keep it topped up while sitting there. I think the case on my phone was a huge contributing factor to making this work. It has a very high magnetic force.

Thanks again for putting in the effort to bring this to reality.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

If you missed the first batch and want to purchase one, I have some good news. The next batch is scheduled to arrive this upcoming week and will tentatively go On Sale on Tuesday, August 23rd around 1:00 PM Eastern.

A few things to note with this order:
  • The design of the power connector has been redesign to be a solder-less installation. You'll need a small flathead screwdriver in addition to a trim tool (or similar) a torx bit, and wire cutters for install. An updated video will be posted to this thread with updated instructions.
  • As this is now solder-less, I will not be offering an assembly service. This should hopefully make shipping quicker you don't have to wait on me to put anything together.
  • Speaking of shipping, I've been able to reduce the rates slightly. It should save a buck or two on shipping, and even more should you want to order anything else that will go on sale at the same time.
Other items such as the multiple center console organizers and updated cell phone mounts will be available in this shipment as well.

Finally, I *might* have to push back availability and/or shipping for these as the DC-DC converters are still on the way in. They have not quite cleared customs yet. (they come from Hong Kong)

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I have an unopened kit from batch 1 for sale at cost. I decided not to use it. Please send me a message if you'd like to buy it.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
Update:

If you missed the first batch and want to purchase one, I have some good news. The next batch is scheduled to arrive this upcoming week and will tentatively go On Sale on Tuesday, August 23rd around 1:00 PM Eastern.

A few things to note with this order:
  • The design of the power connector has been redesign to be a solder-less installation. You'll need a small flathead screwdriver in addition to a trim tool (or similar) a torx bit, and wire cutters for install. An updated video will be posted to this thread with updated instructions.
  • As this is now solder-less, I will not be offering an assembly service. This should hopefully make shipping quicker you don't have to wait on me to put anything together.
  • Speaking of shipping, I've been able to reduce the rates slightly. It should save a buck or two on shipping, and even more should you want to order anything else that will go on sale at the same time.
Other items such as the multiple center console organizers and updated cell phone mounts will be available in this shipment as well.

Finally, I *might* have to push back availability and/or shipping for these as the DC-DC converters are still on the way in. They have not quite cleared customs yet. (they come from Hong Kong)
Still good for a 1pm release today?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Still good for a 1pm release today?
Yep - I've activated all of the stock at Riviparts.com a few minutes ago. If you want anything in my signature, I'd act fast. There is a max of 50 items for each.

Sponsored

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Where is the video for install? I want to know what is involved before buying...

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Where is the video for install? I want to know what is involved before buying...
Instruction photos are in post 231 of this thread:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ging-pad-install-diy-writeup.6404/post-183454

Details of the new connector are in post 250:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ging-pad-install-diy-writeup.6404/post-184943

Video is pending, and please keep in mind that there is one guy doing this, with very little money involved, and I have a day job. 😁

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hi again my dudes - a few quick updates:
  1. Everyone who has ordered one of these has a box with their name on it. I'm waiting on one single bit to arrive then they are all going out the door at the same time.
  2. All other orders that don't include a replacement charging pad are out the door already.
  3. The video update detailing the new power connector is pending, hopefully tomorrow.

That said, this will likely be the last time I'm doing a batch-order for these for quite some time. Throughput on sales from the last set was extremely brisk which is why I put together a second shipment so soon. Demand does not seem to be strong this time around, leading me to believe my mission is done here.

My suggestion is if you want one, snag one now as the likelihood of them coming available again (or at least for the foreseeable future) is very doubtful.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Ever thought about using the guts from a pixel stand gen2? for that 30watt wireless charging.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick update - everyone who placed an order prior to this post has been processed. There is a large batch ready to hit the post office tomorrow AM.

If you want one, I'd suggest ordering ASAP. I'll be making a post on Reddit tomorrow afternoon and I'd suspect they will be gone before the end of the week.

There are no plans to batch produce any more at this time.

Ever thought about using the guts from a pixel stand gen2? for that 30watt wireless charging.
No, I'd prefer not to rip apart something to make something else. Additionally, it's a pretty small cavity that these need to fit into - the engineering to fit and the heat dissipation are difficult enough to deal with smaller, limited power units.
Sponsored