atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 1656396701780
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
@Rivian The popularity of this thread should indicate this should be added to the gear shop as a plug and play accessory. I would click add to configuration in a heartbeat.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@Rivian The popularity of this thread should indicate this should be added to the gear shop as a plug and play accessory. I would click add to configuration in a heartbeat.

If anything this thread demonstrates Rivian had no interest in making an ideal wireless charging solution, just something functional so the wireless charging feature box could be checked. Years of development for the complete package and what they came up with was improved by a forum user with access to Amazon and a 3D printer. Maybe they do create a plug an play accesory but whatever the cost its going to need to be a pretty high margin for it to make sense to sell.

ddwk

First Name
DD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, Terrain, Tesla
Occupation
self-employed
This is great. I'd definitely be on board for a dual.

Sponsored

flightlevel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian
This is great! Do you have a link to the magsafe charger you used? If not, do you have the dimensions?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is great! Do you have a link to the magsafe charger you used? If not, do you have the dimensions?
It's 61.5mm wide and 5mm thick. The link that I purchased it through is not currently available, but I have been in touch with the vendor and it looks like I can import a batch. There doesn't seem to be an AliExpress listing either - just for the non-magnetic version.

Utecitec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Like others have said, I'm definitly interested in a dual, but I'd rather not tap the wires myself if it can be avoided.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I did a bit of testing today:
  • Over an hour of charging, and with occasional screen on + Bluetooth streaming, my iPhone 13 Pro gained 11% battery. Periodically checking, I observed 7.5w of power that was pulled. I wouldn't consider this quick, but it's good enough for me.
  • At the end of the charging session, the pad and the phone was just slightly warm. The converter was not.
  • Husting home, I wanted see if I could get it to dislodge from the pad. I was unable to do so until I cornered so hard that the AT tires started to squeal. Again, good enough for me.
Tomorrow (or Thursday) I'm hoping to solder and shrink wrap onto one of the connectors to have a truly plug-and-play replacement. I'm also likely to update the design of shelf with some sort of attachment provision for the converters and for a small distribution block. Plug to the in of this, then a black and red out to the converters - all with minimal tools. (some initial soldering will need done, unfortunately)

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0460.JPG

Finally, I have a response from all of the component retailers. It looks like I can import a batch of both the pads and converters. The little distribution block is very available on Amazon, and the plug end is available from Mouser and Arrow.

I'm still working on getting the plate made, but that is looking good too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Well, my dudes, I think I have done it. Below are pictures of what I believe to be the first dual Magsafe Wireless Charger for a Rivian that uses in the OEM connection for the POS wireless chaging pad.

There are a few changes from the last pictures I posted:
  • There are now two DC to DC converters and wireless charging pads installed.
  • Wiring now uses a little tool less junction box + a modified version of an OEM plug that I ordered (it's the wrong one, the correct one is inbound now)
  • I've soldered a power and ground wire to the OEM connector. (this was very detailed work) I've also insulated shrink wrapped over it.
  • I've double-sided taped the converters and the junction block to the bottom of the shelf and loosely routed all of the cabling so I should be able to drop it right in.
And that's pretty much it. Wife has the truck for the evening, so I can't test to verify. I do have to do a bit of driving tomorrow though, so I should have a really good idea then.

Oh, and pictures:

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0463.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0462.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0464.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0465.JPG

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Me 2