Sponsored

Work In Progress - Auxiliary Cup Holders (Removable - Collapsible - Adjustable)

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
If the cup holder is available on Amazon, perhaps the mounts are the most valuable part. Sell them for $10 or perhaps sell the design to one of the companies selling Rivian gear — like the people doing the vinyl for the tires or the folks printing the phone holders.
The goal is to sell the entire kit, including the cup holder, mounting brackets, and hardware for less than $20. I don't think it's reasonable for folks to go to four different locations to purchase the items to build these on their own and have left over parts.

That said, I'll be posting the design publicly and anyone who really wants to is welcome to do so on their own. The cost for buying all of the parts is likely more than just participating in a group buy if offered though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
The goal is to sell the entire kit, including the cup holder, mounting brackets, and hardware for less than $20. I don't think it's reasonable for folks to go to four different locations to purchase the items to build these on their own and have left over parts.

That said, I'll be posting the design publicly and anyone who really wants to is welcome to do so on their own. The cost for buying all of the parts is likely more than just participating in a group by if offered though.
Totally agree and I for one am super grateful for the work you’ve done and for your generosity in riding point on getting it done. My thought was that it could be a heavy lift to coordinate 100 people’s pre-order. But hopefully not 👍🏽

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I'm still not 100% sure I am keeping mine (only had a week), but will be making a decision soon and am definitely leaning toward keeping. Assuming I keep I'd be in for 2 door and 1 console mount.

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'd like 2 please! I feel like door pocket is better, as that's where they were on my Ridgeline. About to order some more things on riviparts.com - should I wait and bundle?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'd like 2 please! I feel like door pocket is better, as that's where they were on my Ridgeline. About to order some more things on riviparts.com - should I wait and bundle?
I have the prototype setup to hang on the center console currently - that way both the driver and passenger can access it. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the contour of the driver side is different than the passenger side so it can't hang in the driver footwell.

As far as timing, I would not wait. I don't anticipate setting up a group purchase of these until stock of other items sells through. Even then, I'd like to have more people onboard prior to committing.

Sponsored

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm interested for 2 door versions

dsps70

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model sP90D/ ram 1500/lexus 350RH
Occupation
medicine
Interested in 2 door versions

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I like the idea (I keep complaining about the lack of cup holders and I haven’t even received mine) but honestly it really cheapens the interior (and emphasizes the fact that Rivian missed the mark).
As for ergonomics, it’d work better in a sports car.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I like the idea (I keep complaining about the lack of cup holders and I haven’t even received mine) but honestly it really cheapens the interior (and emphasizes the fact that Rivian missed the mark).
As for ergonomics, it’d work better in a sports car.
I concur, thus they are quickly removable and storable.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Would be down for 2

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I'd be in for one center console version. I don't think the door version would work because you'd have to remove the container everytime you opened or closed the door....if you had an open top drink you could forget to remove it and coffee would spray all over everything when you shut the door.

smikk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, e38 BMW 740iS, C7 Audi A6 APR S2
I'd be in for two center console versions. Thanks!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is happening. More details shortly...

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
BIG Update:

I've created an introduction video with details about the cupholders, and video of them being installed:

Initially, there will be two versions - one that installs on the front door pockets. (they don't have clearance in the rear) and a second version that installs on the passenger side of the open area in front of the center console. Neither version impedes foot area, and I've tested both with larger sports bottles with good results.

I also have details about pricing and availability:

We're aiming for an October 1st date for availability. We'll have about a hundred of them in the first batch - judging by the responses here, in private, and on Reddit, I expect them to move fairly fast. Pricing will be as follows:
  • $20 for one.
  • $38 for two.
  • $55 for a set of three.
Considering each cup holder runs $15 by itself, and you'll need to add low profile fasteners on top of that, I hope that folks find the value there. That said, if you do want to print yourself a copy, I *FULLY* support you doing so. 100% unbranded STL files have been uploaded to Thingiverse here, or at the link in my signature.

I hope you all like them as much as I do, and I hope everyone is down with me doing this. I'm enjoying the heck out of making all these things. The 3D modeling, prototype printing (I think I have ~20 for these alone), working with the manufacturer, negotiating with the reseller, and making videos are all pretty fun.
Sponsored

Last edited: