Sponsored

With Riv's do I need to adhere to the 80%-20% battery rule?

ironmanihp

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sorry I am sure this has been posted, but with my Riv will I need to only use 80% (264 miles) of the stated range (330mi= 100%) or does Riv anticipate this and 330 ish stated miles is the "useable distance" as some other EV makers are doing.

new to all this so thank you.
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

There's a charging and battery subsection on the forum with lots of good info.

Generally speaking, what you say is a good practice. However, when on roadtrip or need the range, charge it to 100% and go however long you want - its your vehicle.

What batteries don't like, you probably already know, is to sit fully charged and not discharging for a period of time, or drained empty.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
It's a battery rule of thumb, not a vehicle issue. With current battery technology it's recommended to stay at the 80% level as a maximum for frequent charging.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This is a fairly common open debate with all EV's Less so with LFP chemistry but our R1T &S's use NMC which are a bit more "sensitive.
If you are looking to eek out the absolute longest battery life staying near mid pack voltage is the consensus.
My opinion is that 1. these packs will last a long time even if tortured and 2. the difference between tortured and pampered isn't huge so charge and discharge as needed but not excessively more. If 70%- 25% works for daily do that but you need 100%- 12% every other weekend to have fun I wouldn't worry about it just enjoy the truck.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
another note... when you do need/ want 100% charge try to time it so it reaches 100% near your departure time so it is not sitting at 100% all night while you sleep.
Most importantly enjoy it after all you bought a 4 motor beast of a truck!

OP
OP

ironmanihp

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ok sounds good. I wont be an extreme off road user but it will see a LOT of snow in the Sierra's, so hoping all 7,000 lbs of it and some grippy snow tires deliver well.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I live in the Northeast and mine has been good but not great in the snow. The snow mode has helped some but the physics of a 7K# inertial mass on a low friction surface has the deck stacked against it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ironmanihp

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Meaning you slide out a lot? or the regen makes the wheels slip?

I am driving a Toyota Highlander (3,600 lbs) with 4 season mountain rated tires and it does great.

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Tesla been using 90% daily charging, and results were published this week of only 10% loss after 200,000 miles. So 90% is ok

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Tesla been using 90% daily charging, and results were published this week of only 10% loss after 200,000 miles. So 90% is ok
Not really. Since Tesla develops their own batteries and SW to control them, it's fine for Tesla. Rivian uses Samsung batteries and what works for Tesla may (probably) not work for Rivian.

Each company that develops battery has a different and unique build and controlling logic. The 20%~80% range is a generic guideline for all Li-ion batteries.

Since Rivian recommends 70% for routine charge level, perhaps they are being overly conservative (to minimize potential warrantee costs) or that Sammy batteries are more sensitive to idle charge level. Also Rivian's power management SW may not be as sophisticated compared to others.

I do charge my Tesla to 90% (as told by Tesla to do) as a routine and often it overcharges into 92~94% range about 25% of the time. That said, it doesn't sit idle for too long after being charged most of the time.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
So dont charge over 80% right?
I charge to 85% on a regular basis and charge to 100% right before a trip. This is what I’ve been doing for 4 years with my various EV’s.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The important and missing qualifier is: which battery are you talking about?
  • 20-80% is general rule of thumb for Lithium Ion batteries, which the R1 Large and Max Packs have.
  • R1 Standard Pack (and the delivery vans) will use LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) cells, which can be charged to 100% without risk of damaging battery capacity. The downside of LFP is poor performance at very low temps—hence the need for on-board heat pump. Tesla actually recommends their Model 3 LFP owners to charge to 100% at least once a week.
Sponsored