Wireless phone charging?

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I've searched all the forums and haven't been able to find a post on this. Does anyone know if wireless phone charging will be available? If so, where? It doesn't look like there is anywhere on the dash for your phone.
Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I've searched all the forums and haven't been able to find a post on this. Does anyone know if wireless phone charging will be available? If so, where? It doesn't look like there is anywhere on the dash for your phone.
it has wireless conductive charging per the website under "experience" in the info under the 1st picture

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The charging tray is the front part of the center console, not part of the dash.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
To add to this, I ran into an employee who opened up his truck to me when he found out I was a 2019 preorder holder...it is using the fast wireless charging protocol. I dropped my phone on it and it came up as fast.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Can we settle once and for all of it charges one phone or two? I’ve seen conflicting info on this!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Per the Owner's Guide:
qi.png
That doesn't really answer the question.

Does it actually work reliably? Or is it more like "yea the phones fit, but you're not actually going to recoup power faster than the phone uses it"?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That doesn't really answer the question.

Does it actually work reliably? Or is it more like "yea the phones fit, but you're not actually going to recoup power faster than the phone uses it"?
I believe it does answer the question. Don't expect it to fast charge 2 phones simultaneously as it wasn't designed for that scenario and doesn't have the power to guarantee that usage.

The answer isn't crystal clear because different phones will draw different power levels. Power consumption will also depend on what apps are running at the time, screen on/off, etc. Depending on the 2 phones involved, both may slowly charge if attempting to charge simultaneously (but more slowly than charging solo). Others may only balance out or slow the rate of battery drain. In other words, YCMV (your charge may vary).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I believe it does answer the question. Don't expect it to fast charge 2 phones simultaneously as it wasn't designed for that scenario and doesn't have the power to guarantee that usage.

The answer isn't crystal clear because different phones will draw different power levels. Power consumption will also depend on what apps are running at the time, screen on/off, etc. Depending on the 2 phones involved, both may slowly charge if attempting to charge simultaneously (but more slowly than charging solo). Others may only balance out or slow the rate of battery drain. In other words, YCMV (your charge may vary).
You typed a lot of words to just agree with what I said: it does not answer the question.

It shouldn't be hard for Rivian to say how many Watts the coils support, what the total wattage of the system is, and how it handles a request for more than it can provide.

For example, 7.5W max per coil, 10W system max, power split evenly. Then we'd know two phones would only get 5W each.

Or 7.5W max per coil, 10W system max, left coil prioritized. Then we'd know passenger phone would only get 2.5W if driver was pulling 7.5W (which perhaps is the scenario if Rivian says two phones is not ideal but earbuds are okay).

Note: I'm not saying 7.5W/10W are the numbers... Just using those as theoretical values in the absence of any meaningful information, aka Rivian SOP.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You typed a lot of words to just agree with what I said: it does not answer the question.

It shouldn't be hard for Rivian to say how many Watts the coils support, what the total wattage of the system is, and how it handles a request for more than it can provide.

For example, 7.5W max per coil, 10W system max, power split evenly. Then we'd know two phones would only get 5W each.

Or 7.5W max per coil, 10W system max, left coil prioritized. Then we'd know passenger phone would only get 2.5W if driver was pulling 7.5W (which perhaps is the scenario if Rivian says two phones is not ideal but earbuds are okay).

Note: I'm not saying 7.5W/10W are the numbers... Just using those as theoretical values in the absence of any meaningful information, aka Rivian SOP.
The original question was can it charge 2 phones at the same time to which the answer is YCMV.

I have yet to see anyone pose the question asking for specific charging specs and the power distribution between coils. The unasked question goes unanswered.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have yet to see anyone pose the question asking for specific charging specs and the power distribution between coils. The unasked question goes unanswered.
It has been asked. It has not been answered.
Sponsored