Sponsored

Windshield wiper turns on when I start, Why?

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Have an R1S xxx665, (early model). Love it. One quirk I noticed is that many times when I get into the vehicle and "start" it the windsheild wiper does a cycle.
I have my windshield wipers set to "auto" and live in SoCal ( we are done with our epic rains now) so does anyone know why? and if so, what's the fix?

thank you
Sponsored

basserman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Rivian Enthusiast
Clubs

I don't know why it happens, but I've had the same experience.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
We've had the same experience in our R1T. It's possible something is on the sensor, even dust/debris and the wiper is removing it. It doesn't happen every time, but we have noticed this.

Rivian805

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ours does the same thing. Usually when the sun is more directly on the windshield.

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
If the wipers are set to "auto" then you get a "courtesy wipe" just to show you that they do, in fact work.

This feature was apparently dreamed up by some engineer in a windowless office in an area that has no bugs to hit the windshield and no birds to poop on it and where it never rains "just a little" to make a muddy mess (either that or they don't have dust either).

The only way to get rid of this is to turn the wipers to "off".

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Happened to me for the first time yesterday in the garage after the latest update/patch

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Happened to me for the first time yesterday in the garage after the latest update/patch
I've had it on the R1T since day one...apparently, they must have "forgotten" it at some point and now want to make sure that everyone shares in the misery.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
That's the car saying hello. I suspect it will be fixed in a future update, but for now, just turn off automatic wipers and it goes away.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah mine does it too. I just ignore it now.

Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
The courtesy wipe is a bad idea because sand dust can permanently mar the windshield. I plan to just Rain-X the crap out of the windshield to protect it. We're heading into rainy season here in about a month, so I'd hate to just turn off the feature.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
We're heading into rainy season here in about a month, so I'd hate to just turn off the feature.
Until they wake up to this being a "not great feature"...

I keep mine off...it's been raining here a little lately.

It is very easy to flick that little lever on the outboard end of the turn signal stalk. It can be done from the front or back side of the stalk (or both as a thumb-and-forefinger motion similar to the action on the "circular" switches on many other cars). A quick glance at the driver's screen array after moving it confirms the setting.

It is one click from "Off" to "Auto" once there's enough water on the windshield to wash away the dirt, just flick it to "Auto" and give it a couple of tugs to activate the squirter.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Courtesy wipe? I always figured it was the auto wiper being activated by dust or pollen over the camera on the windshield. When the vehicle turns on and sees something there, it thinks the windshield needs to be wiped and one wipe is enough to remove whatever is in front of the camera.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Have an R1S xxx665, (early model). Love it. One quirk I noticed is that many times when I get into the vehicle and "start" it the windsheild wiper does a cycle.
I have my windshield wipers set to "auto" and live in SoCal ( we are done with our epic rains now) so does anyone know why? and if so, what's the fix?

thank you
Happens to me sporadically, its a little annoying but I just ignore it.
Sponsored