Sponsored

Window doesn’t close completely

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Has anyone had an issue with a window not closing fully? My rear passenger window doesn’t go up past ~3/4 of the way. I’ve scheduled service with Rivian, but it’s going to be 6 weeks to get the parts :(
Note, this is not the auto/one touch up/down. The window doesn’t close period.
Besides that, it seems fine. No weird noise and it goes back down fine.

I wish I had some way to get the window to close all the way then stay like that for now. Otherwise I can’t drive it if it might rain…

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
On the stuck door, hold open for 5 seconds and hold close for 5 seconds to recalibrate it.

OP
OP

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

On the stuck door, hold open for 5 seconds and hold close for 5 seconds to recalibrate it.
Thanks, but that doesn’t do it for me. That’s the process to calibrate the auto
Up/down. But that’s not my issue. The window doesn’t close period - manually holding the switch or auto up.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Thanks, but that doesn’t do it for me. That’s the process to calibrate the auto
Up/down. But that’s not my issue. The window doesn’t close period - manually holding the switch or auto up.
Maybe an obvious question, but have you held the switch while someone tries to apply a little upward pressure on the window glass? No idea if that would do anything, but I wonder if something is physically stopping it from going all the way up, or if the calibration is so far off that it doesn't think it can go up any further.

OP
OP

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Yeah, I tried gently ‘helping’ it up as it rose to see if it was getting stuck. I don’t think there’s anything blocking it or that it’s stuck. I think it’s just the calibration or whatever normally stops it once it’s up. Service thinks they need to replace the regualtor. Unfortunately there’s also some moldings on the door that have to be replaced if you dismantle the door and those will take 6 weeks to come in.

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
My passenger window suddenly stopped going all the way up. Tried the 5 second trip with tech on the phone. No luck.
I can physically push the window up or back down, so it seems like something else is loose. Dramatic increase in cabin noise. :(

Anyone had this or know a fix? I’m headed to Banff on Tuesday and definitely don’t want the new level of wind noise on a 1000mi trip.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My passenger window suddenly stopped going all the way up. Tried the 5 second trip with tech on the phone. No luck.
I can physically push the window up or back down, so it seems like something else is loose. Dramatic increase in cabin noise. :(

Anyone had this or know a fix? I’m headed to Banff on Tuesday and definitely don’t want the new level of wind noise on a 1000mi trip.
Sounds like window regulator. Having VW flashbacks!

OP
OP

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

So when I had this issue, the window would go up 75% and then stop - no way to get it to go higher. I tried pulling it up gently and it would not go higher. After sitting for 3 days without being used, it magically started working again.
The service tech was at my house today for other issues and I talked to him about the window. Here’s a few tips he gave if it happened again:
- try raising it an inch at a time and see if you can get it up higher
- gently pull up on the window while raising the window
- if you just need to get it all the way up, pull up harder of the window. There’s a plastic clip that holds the glass to the mechanism that’s designed to break before the glass. Once the plastic clip breaks, you can raise the window all the way up by hand and tape it in place. At this point you need service out to fix it.

I wonder if that plastic clip has broken on yours. When can you get service out to your house or into a service center? Maybe tape the glass closed until then (which I know sucks)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
it.

I wonder if that plastic clip has broken on yours. When can you get service out to your house or into a service center? Maybe tape the glass closed until then (which I know sucks)
you can tell when that happens on most vehicles because the glass will either fall into the door, or comes off the channels and gets stuck at a fun angle… presumably Rivian is the same.

Last edited:

Dhario

First Name
Rajini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Owner
Occupation
Hobbyist
Did you get a fix to this issue? My driver side window is stuck at 95%. Goes down fine, goes up fine up to the same point. Tried the calibration technique a few times without luck.

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The mobile tech came out to my house, plugged in his computer and did some fancier recalibration. He had brought a replacement regulator but didn't need it. He seemed to imply they could do something similar over the phone... but was polite and happy to fix it quickly for me.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Just had the issue today my front passenger window goes up about 95% and makes the worst wind noise :(

Tried recalibrate by window switch - nothing (manual won't lift it the whole way anyway). Tried hard reset to truck - no fix.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just had the issue today my front passenger window goes up about 95% and makes the worst wind noise :(

Tried recalibrate by window switch - nothing (manual won't lift it the whole way anyway). Tried hard reset to truck - no fix.
Sounds exactly like mine. Tell them the service guy fixed mine by plugging in his laptop and doing a heavier duty reset. Mobile tech implied they could do this over the phone….

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I spoke to them on the phone originally but wasn't offered something like that (maybe it's a future improvement),

The service advisor had me try the local resets/calibration and then filed a service ticket. I'll have to call the SC directly tomorrow or something as they still haven't gotten back and I'd kind of like to be able to use the car, it's just been too wet to trust a stuck open window outside :(

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I spoke to them on the phone originally but wasn't offered something like that (maybe it's a future improvement),

The service advisor had me try the local resets/calibration and then filed a service ticket. I'll have to call the SC directly tomorrow or something as they still haven't gotten back and I'd kind of like to be able to use the car, it's just been too wet to trust a stuck open window outside :(
I actually went on an 1800 mile road trip with it in that state. We used electrical tape to seal the window… it was subtle and actually reduced wind noise better than a fully closed window! 🙃
Sponsored