Sponsored

WiFi and TPMS Oddities

cc4711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2018 Challenger Hellcat
Two separate things, just didn't want to make two threads.

WiFi
My truck CANNOT find my WiFi signal from the house. The phone gets full strength signal, the laptop in the kitchen just on the other side of the wall has no issues, and the truck when parked in the middle garage spot is literally underneath the router and no matter what, the network name does not even appear as a found network. Manually searching for it does not help. The latest update was downloaded over LTE for me. I don't think I'm missing much from not having WiFi, just strange.

TPMS
After about 50-ish miles of driving, got an alert that I should inflate my tires. Went to the TPMS screen, but no pressures were given, then after about 10 seconds they came up and the notification went away.

Then today, around 150 miles on the truck, got a more severe notification that the TPMS system needs service immediately. Went to the TPMS screen, no pressures indicated. Strange. Got to my destination, truck sat for a few hours. Left to go home, notification still there, then halfway back home it cleared, and all pressures shown correctly.

Anyone else experience anything similar for either of these?
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Same thing on WiFi. Support says the truck doesn't like 5Ghz and the manual says to make sure you are using WPA2 AES encryption.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Have seen mention of SSIDs with spaces cause issue for the home charger maybe the same for the truck?

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
We had the same issue with WiFi but we were able to fix it after some poking around with router settings. Our router has both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and we ended up enabling a mode called "Total Control Wireless." "TCW is a proprietary mechanism used to control multiple Wi-Fi access points." Sounds very router specific but might give you wiser tech folks a lead.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
We had the same issue with WiFi but we were able to fix it after some poking around with router settings. Our router has both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz and we ended up enabling a mode called "Total Control Wireless." "TCW is a proprietary mechanism used to control multiple Wi-Fi access points." Sounds very router specific but might give you wiser tech folks a lead.
After a quick search it appears that TCW is what is often referred to as "band steering". Not sure what it has to do with multiple APs, per se. Simply put, band steering will discourage a device from connecting to 2.4GHz if a good 5GHz connection can be made. I've seen where its more often recommended to turn off during fussy device troubleshooting than turn on as the "discouragement" might be a little too aggressive and the device won't connect at all.

My observations have been that the truck's WiFi implementation can't be compared to that of the wall charger. My R1T connects to 5GHz on an SSID with spaces in it. The wall charger? Not so much - don't get me started.

Sponsored

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
I've seen where its more often recommended to turn off during fussy device troubleshooting than turn on as the "discouragement" might be a little too aggressive and the device won't connect at all.
That's the same reasoning as to why I originally disabled TCW, so was surprised to see that enabling it worked in our situation.
And for clarity, this fixed the issue with the truck not seeing our WiFi. Our Rivian charger didn't have any connection issues in either configuration.

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Having the same random TPMS issue. 1st trip from Madison to Chicago & back for work and it popped up both drives. Self cleared and came back 2 or 3 times on the way down and popped on the way home but went away at some point that I didn't notice. Thinking I will call in a ticket.

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
TPMS
After about 50-ish miles of driving, got an alert that I should inflate my tires. Went to the TPMS screen, but no pressures were given, then after about 10 seconds they came up and the notification went away.

Then today, around 150 miles on the truck, got a more severe notification that the TPMS system needs service immediately. Went to the TPMS screen, no pressures indicated. Strange. Got to my destination, truck sat for a few hours. Left to go home, notification still there, then halfway back home it cleared, and all pressures shown correctly.
Yes, I’ve seen this come up a few times over the last two trips (~300 miles) Self correcting, so far…

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
On the wifi thing, it seems like a huge number of IOT devices can't deal with a wifi SSID that is common between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands...

I gave up on this long ago and just have a dedicated 2.4 GHz SSID for all my IOT devices. This has the added benefit of being much easier to firewall off all of those devices from the main network. Don't know if Rivian has this issue (shame if it does), but if so the solution is the same as it is for all other devices that can't handle it...

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Yes, I’ve seen this come up a few times over the last two trips (~300 miles) Self correcting, so far…
Also, service was out yesterday to deliver my spare and checked the logs. No TPMS errors reported, so not an ongoing concern at this point.

Sponsored

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

My truck arrived on July 19th. All is well except it would not connect to WiFi. Delivery person could not fix. After searching this forum found this thread. I fixed my problem by changing the security type from WPA to WPA2. An FYI for others having this issue.

HAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Good point. I have the EERO system at home and it was blocking access to the 5 ghz. Found the setting, changed it to allow for access and it connected. So more of a router issue than a truck issue.

Otisbrick

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Physician
Did anyone ever get the wall charger online with an eero mesh network? I finally got the charger to see my network by disabling the blend for 15 minutes. I ca see the charger as a device on my network. However the charger Still shows as off-line in my Rivian app.
Sponsored