Sponsored

Why would you order Dual Motor Performance? (cost breakdown)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That's the polestar pricing I believe.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Keeping my pre-March R1S order was right for me. Ordering the same exact configuration and factoring in sales tax delta and the that I will get $7.5k back on my 2022 taxes, the cost differential came out to nearly $25k. Downgrading to dual motor just didn’t make logical sense

OP
OP

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
(This should probably be a new post, but...)
Rivian confirms here that the added HP and torque come from the Sport mode. They also confirm that they're more likely to add new modes to the Performance Dual-Motor (and not the base Dual-Motor)
https://stories.rivian.com/r1-drive-systems-time-to-launch

Quotes from the website, emphasis theirs:
"With Performance Dual-Motor, you unlock Sport mode – and the ability to reach 0-60 mph in as quick as 3.5 seconds" aka, the other modes are limited to 533hp
"Similar to the way we continue to expand our Quad-Motor drive modes, Performance Dual-Motor will see drive mode enhancements in the future"
"Dual-Motor delivers the same maximum range estimates, All-Wheel Drive capabilities and towing capacity as Performance Dual-Motor, but does so with less overall horsepower and torque." aka towing is the same, but then implying maybe they do allow more hp in Tow mode for Performance Dual-Motor. hmmm
Sponsored