Sponsored

Why the R1S Now?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian producing a small number of R1S struck me as odd. The best reason I can think of is that they want this model out in the wild and reviewed before the market get more crowded. Is there an alternate primary reason?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's probably all supply chain based. They need to have the R1S parts ordered, contracts probably specify delivery times.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Rivian producing a small number of R1S struck me as odd. The best reason I can think of is that they want this model out in the wild and reviewed before the market get more crowded. Is there an alternate primary reason?
No doubt that's important, but the primary reasons are Analysts' ratings/stock price. It's always about the money. And even if they only make some token deliveries to customers of the R1S next month, it's better for the stock price than NO deliveries. They are trying to change the narrative from Rivian can't produce to ... Rivian is starting to get their act together.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Not quite sure what you mean, don't see what is odd by starting R1S production.

Rivian has always stated that R1S deliveries would follow R1T deliveries by 2-3 months. I think they have too many customers expecting R1S's to not start production and show progress. Rivian says right now they can make vehicles at a 50k/year pace. Assuming that is not just a EDV capability, ie applies to both production lines, they can run the R1T/S line twice as fast as they can get parts for trucks/suv's. This allows them, hypothetically, to start making R1S's without impacting the overall number of vehicles made each month even if the initial R1S rate is slower than the current R1T rate.

From a 1000 miles away, I guesstimate R1S production will ramp up the next few months trending upwards at a little faster pace that R1T production ramped up late last year and in Q1. I'd predict/hope approaching 700-1200 each R1T and R1S per month by August? Hopefully sooner, but I doubt supply chain and startup problems will allow a faster ramp up.

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Not quite sure what you mean.

Rivian has always stated that R1S deliveries would follow R1T deliveries by 2-3 months. I think they have too many customers expecting R1S's to not start production and show progress. Rivian says right now they can make vehicles at a 50k/year pace. Assuming that is not just a EDV capability, ie applies to both production lines, they can run the R1T/S line twice as fast as they can get parts for trucks/suv's. This allows them, hypothetically, to start making R1S's without impacting the overall number of vehicles made each month even if the initial R1S rate is slower than the current R1T rate.

From a 1000 miles away, I guesstimate R1S production will ramp up the next few months trending upwards at a little faster pace that R1T production ramped up late last year and in Q1. I'd predict/hope approaching 700-1200 each R1T and R1S per month by August? Hopefully sooner, but I doubt supply chain and startup problems will allow a faster ramp up.
Ah, I thought Rivian was originally starting R1S production in 2023. But as a later reservation holder I wasn't paying close attention.

The likely stellar R1S review should bring in a new group of preorders. I wonder what ratio of S to T Rivian expects.

Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ah, I thought Rivian was originally starting R1S production in 2023. But as a later reservation holder I wasn't paying close attention.

The likely stellar R1S review should bring in a new group of preorders. I wonder what ratio of S to T Rivian expects.
Rivian was never starting R1S production in 2023. The R1S has always trailed the R1T by a few months in Rivian's "projected" roadmap, but it was slated to begin production by the end of last year.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems like May through September is the bigger window in the delivery window poll for the R1S if they have not slipped we should start seeing a lot of R1S deliveries in the next several weeks.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
🤞 I really hope I don't have to wait past September for my R1S. I haven't been waiting nearly as long as many of you (Sept 2020 reservation) but I'd like to have mine in the summer so I can go adventuring before the kids' school starts.
Sponsored