Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Now that I've had my R1 for a few days, I've had the chance to play with several features. One of the things that I had been curious about is all of the talk about why the front camera is so bad. The following pulls from some of the stuff picked up decades ago while working on a facial recognition system for my University graduation project (this just makes me sound smart...in reality, this is quite obvious when you look at it and after reading this before publishing I didn't actually use much, if any, of that knowledge😅).

TLDR: Rivian is displaying a low resolution image with distortions from the fish eye front camera on a high resolution display.

When I first saw the front camera view, I had suspected that we were dealing with an issue of showing a low resolution image on a high resolution display. Specifically I had thought that they were using a low resolution camera (e.g. 150k pixel displayed on a 2MP display). But after looking at some of the gear guard videos it became clear that the issue is they are cropping the camera view for the forward camera.

The first picture below is one of the front camera view. The second picture is one from the gear guard view with a red square super imposed above it to show the frame the camera front view camera is using from the camera sensor.

Rivian R1T R1S Why the Front Camera View is so Bad: An Overview 1664755328478

Rivian R1T R1S Why the Front Camera View is so Bad: An Overview 1664755296600

My hunch that they were using a lower resolution image for the front camera view was correct, just not totally in the manner that I had thought. Essentially what we are seeing here is that Rivian is cropping the camera output to the middle of the view where there is less 'fish eye' effect and provides a more "usable" view (seeing the bumper doesn't help anyone). So, we are essentially seeing a low resolution image on a large display screen resulting in a very grainy image.

The other source of distortion is that they aren't correcting for the 'fish-eye' effect. In the picture below, the red line (which follows the street cub) should be straight (a straight line from the end points is drawn in green). Given that they are cropping in the middle of the image, the amount of distortion is limited, however it does contribute to the image appearing to be less than ideal.
All camera lenses have some distortion associated with them. In applications that need non distorted images (e.g. high accuracy robotic vision), a correction/calibration factor is measured for each individual lens and is corrected for that application. For other applications where correction is desired but the cost for individual calibration doesn't justify the benefit, a general correction/calibration factor is obtained by measuring the distortion from a sample of lenses and applying those measure measurements as a correction factor.

Rivian R1T R1S Why the Front Camera View is so Bad: An Overview 1664757920596

For those that are curious on correcting lens distortion, the following are good technical reads:
http://paulbourke.net/dome/fisheyecorrect/
https://docs.nvidia.com/vpi/sample_fisheye.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That explanation makes sense, and sheds light on the issue. Thanks for the information.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
(seeing the bumper doesn't help anyone)
I would actually like to see the bumper to help provide some context to depth.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

So is this "fixable" or are we going to be stuck with these low resolution images?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So is this "fixable" or are we going to be stuck with these low resolution images?
Based on the information information presented, I would say no unless some image reconstruction is applied through software.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
In my opinion, needs a camera with better resolution to address this issue.
There is some room for them to use a bigger crop, but not sure that will help too much.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I think the camera is adequate for what it's doing, but may prove inadequate for dash cam read a license plate use.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
For the dash cam I'd hope that they'd record/dump everything as-is (without cropping or processing) in the same way that gear guard does.
It might help, but it's still a fish-eye cam without the high res videos I see from Tesla dashcam videos on youtube.

Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The next version of the Rivian series needs to have a higher rez camera up front. Nice deduction on the cropping!

There is also the camera in front of the rear view mirror behind the windshield. Would be nice to be able to use that as well for the front view.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, I've posted before that I wish they'd just show the uncropped fisheye view - the bumper is actually useful to have in frame for parking (you can't reliably infer distance from the current view and often find myself stopping because I'm about to hit a wall that is actually two feet away).

If I'm not mistaken, there's also at least one forward camera in the windshield under the rearview mirror housing, correct? I'd expect that to be a useful additional vantage for Dashcam (as with the bed cam).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The earlier Bolts used a cropped image from the BU cam and everyone complained about the lack of resolution when backing up. They have since changed to an HD backup cam (still cropped image) but the resolution is much better now because you're seeing a cropped 1080p image vs a cropped 480p image (just guessing at those resolution numbers, but you get the idea). Rivian can probably do the same thing for the front cam, or use a different lens so it won't need to be cropped so severely.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Ya for offroading / entering my garage the uncropped or at least alot less cropped would be better and look better.