Sponsored

Why such a "Simple Stick Man" front-end appearance?

BrianArtist

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Canyon, Cruze hatchback
I like the engineering features of the vehicle, but I can't stand the "simple stick man" drawing front end appearance. I know the concept was to make it standout from other pickups, but look what happened to the Edsel.
Sponsored

DiggiRob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evoque
I actually like it. It's clean, masculine and has a futuristic look to it. It's also distinctly recognizable. I can see how the design might be polarizing though.

OP
OP

BrianArtist

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Canyon, Cruze hatchback
Yes, I can see that point of view that it a polarizing appearance.

A Simple body design for me, would be a truck we don't have worry about denting or polishing, like the moulded Colored plastic bodied ATVs.

The Rivian looks like it would a 'dent heart-breaking' to take it off road.
My All Terrian Canyon is a heart breaker off road too, so I use a Polaris ATV when I want to go serous off-roading.

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
I like the engineering features of the vehicle, but I can't stand the "simple stick man" drawing front end appearance. I know the concept was to make it standout from other pickups, but look what happened to the Edsel.
The designs we're seeing are still concept form though and front bumpers are usually the most likely part of concept vehicles to change for production - due to crash and pedestrian safety standards. So the front R1T and R1S front fascia may change yet...

Rivolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee
Part of the reason are the differences between gas and EVs. The lack of a grille necessary for engine cooling really simplifies the front end. Teslas have more curves but as it's been said it is also more generic looking.

Sponsored

Katsudon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I like the super simple front end design and hope they don't change it for production. It's simple and functional (and free of non-functional vents/grilles) but also distinctive. And if you want it to customize yours, just throw a front bumper bull bar for added protection and more aggressive look.

Hydro

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
still searching
The designs we're seeing are still concept form though and front bumpers are usually the most likely part of concept vehicles to change for production - due to crash and pedestrian safety standards. So the front R1T and R1S front fascia may change yet...
I did not realize that since it looks so "finished" I thought we were looking at the production form. I wonder what design changes they will make and whether they might even rename the R1T and R1S to something more "catchy" ?

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I did not realize that since it looks so "finished" I thought we were looking at the production form. I wonder what design changes they will make and whether they might even rename the R1T and R1S to something more "catchy" ?
There is always a chance that there will be some changes before production. In my opinion the front headlights to me may be a little ahead of the times with other vehicles, not to say they will be redesigned 100% but may be toned down a bit with that light bar, also I think they can use a smaller tire for major off roading

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Whatever they do, even if they change up styling a little for production, I hope they keep the shared LED lightbar theme between the front and rear end. I think the long lightbar gives the Rivians a cohesive look and identity.

Rivian R1T R1S Why such a "Simple Stick Man" front-end appearance? 2018.12-rivian-R1S-LA-Auto-Show-01
Rivian R1T R1S Why such a "Simple Stick Man" front-end appearance? rivian-r1t-electric-truck-42.JPG

Sponsored

Ranma

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Range Rover Sport
I think they need a tailgate like door at the front to make it easier to get heavier items in the Frunk. Call it a nosegate.
:CWL:

That'd actually be a totally unique and useful feature. Probably never been done before tho due to crash and safety standards.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
:CWL:

That'd actually be a totally unique and useful feature. Probably never been done before tho due to crash and safety standards.
It have never been done before because of the engine.

THOR

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW wagon
I bet an aftermarket bolt-on shows up to please folks who are rubbed the wrong way by the look of the lights.

Hydro

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
still searching
How about horizontal headlights? Though I actually prefer the vertical headlights over this. Looks much more distinctive and face like.

Rivian R1T horizontal headlights.jpg
That's actually not bad. I can't put my finger on it but it reminds me of something..
Sponsored