Sponsored

Why no Rivian app for iWatch?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

NFC range is short and even if you are able to unlock the vehicle, you would have to also include NFC sensor near the steering wheel to enable driving.

By having the Rivian band feature already, regardless of if only few has them now, perhaps that capability is already built in but who knows?

I would much prefer "old fashion" finger print, or a facial recognition to open and operate the vehicle.

Last, many younger gens, don't wear any watch (none of my kids or their friends do). So its one less thing to be dependent on....
Sponsored

Pendarin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2020 Zero SR/S
First off, I have to correct you in that annoying Apple fanboy way just for accuracy sake: it's Apple Watch, not iWatch. But then, since Tim Apple made the same mistake from the stage when announcing it, it's one none of us can complain about. :-D

Second, and more importantly, this is already supported at the OS level by watchOS:
Explore UWB-based car keys: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10084/
Introducing Car Keys: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10006

It's just a matter of Rivian implementing it in their app.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
NFC range is short and even if you are able to unlock the vehicle, you would have to also include NFC sensor near the steering wheel to enable driving.

By having the Rivian band feature already, regardless of if only few has them now, perhaps that capability is already built in but who knows?
there is already a nfc reader in the cabin — on the drivers door panel.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

NFC reader on the driver side is pretty shitty. I never got my NFC card to work at all. For whatever reason, the phone as key works, though it's quite unstable

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
It’s be great to open/drive my R1T with my iWatch (instead of the phone). anyone speak th CS about this feature? Could obviate need for wrist ban?
Tesla doesn't have a native watch app, so I expect there are issues with using both iphone and watch.

Rivian may eventually have a third party watch app through the API.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tesla doesn't have a native watch app, so I expect there are issues with using both iphone and watch.

Rivian may eventually have a third party watch app through the API.
Hyundai and Volvo offer watch apps. It can be done.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is the watch app controlling the phone, or is the watch bluetooth connected to the car?
Volvo goes Watch->Phone->Cloud->Car.

Older Hyundai's also go Watch->Phone->Cloud->Car, as well; however some of their newest models now support the Watch->Car natively, without the need for the Phone or even an internet connection in the middle.
Sponsored