Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It’s be great to open/drive my R1T with my iWatch (instead of the phone). anyone speak th CS about this feature? Could obviate need for wrist ban?
Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
"Why no Rivian app for iWatch?"

Because they started deliveries a couple months ago and are still working on basic functionality and fixes?

BTW, with proximity open on, you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
The iPhone app is barely functional, let’s not get greedy! Apple Watch integration would be pretty sweet though. If it still takes 2-3 minutes to respond to an unlock button press like the iPhone app I’m not sure it would be worth it though.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

The iPhone app is barely functional, let’s not get greedy! Apple Watch integration would be pretty sweet though. If it still takes 2-3 minutes to respond to an unlock button press like the iPhone app I’m not sure it would be worth it though.
2-3 minutes? Really or are you being hyperbolic. The longest I have seen is 45seconds or so. Wondering if I'm lucky or if there is another thing that will cause me great anxiety (i could see me pressing and repressing the app buttons if it took that long).

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
2-3 minutes? Really or are you being hyperbolic. The longest I have seen is 45seconds or so. Wondering if I'm lucky or if there is another thing that will cause me great anxiety (i could see me pressing and repressing the app buttons if it took that long).
Yes, actually, when it even worked at all. The phone-as-a-key feature has now completely failed on my truck though, and numerous efforts by Rivian service have not been able to revive it (for either my or my wife’s phones).

There are many things I love about my truck, it is a marvel of engineering. But seriously, F-U to whichever engineer decided that something as simple and critical as door access should be so damn needlessly complex (my NFC cards stopped working as well).

Sponsored

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
If the Apple would let Rivian access the NFC chip in the watch in lieu of having to use the Bluetooth radios on the phone, the Apple Watch would work pretty seamless and eliminate issues - you’d have to be within a few inches for the NFC chip to unlock the car.

I like it, but I don’t think Apple would open it up. If the watch were just to use the Bluetooth features of the watch, it would have the same issues phones are having.

I‘m all for it using the Apple Watch as a key via NFC - if that ever happens.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade & Audi Q7
Occupation
IT
If the Apple would let Rivian access the NFC chip in the watch in lieu of having to use the Bluetooth radios on the phone, the Apple Watch would work pretty seamless and eliminate issues - you’d have to be within a few inches for the NFC chip to unlock the car.

I like it, but I don’t think Apple would open it up. If the watch were just to use the Bluetooth features of the watch, it would have the same issues phones are having.

I‘m all for it using the Apple Watch as a key via NFC - if that ever happens.
Doesn’t Apple let the hotel chains access the NFC for room keys?

If they let Marriott do it, why would they deny Rivian?

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
Good point. I didn’t think of that - there may be hope!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yes, Apple does let some apps use NFC. I use a few.

Sponsored

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

BTW, with proximity open on, you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket.
Sometimes I do. At times i have to wake up my phone, and there are even times when I have to launch the Rivian app to unlock the truck. Any other Android users experience that?

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I would like them to sell a Apple Watch band with the NFC key chip in it. It would work just like the Key Band that very few owners have received.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would like them to sell a Apple Watch band with the NFC key chip in it. It would work just like the Key Band that very few owners have received.
YES!

I met a Rivian employee who was pretty high up in the org and i suggested this. I was annoyed when they brushed it off and didn’t seem to like the idea.

I want this!

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Personally I find paak to work fine. The app is fairly good too. It’s never taken 2-3 minutes to respond to a key command. 30 seconds? Yea- but 2 minutes seems grossly exaggerated to me.

there’s some additionally functionality I wouldn’t mind via the app, like gear guard access and better trip planning that can be uploaded to the cars navigation.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It’s be great to open/drive my R1T with my iWatch (instead of the phone). anyone speak th CS about this feature? Could obviate need for wrist ban?
Can't right now....we need all the available engineers to help physically assembling vehicles.
Sponsored